2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

The goal total won't say it, but when it's all said it and done, I think Ovechkin will be the greatest goal scorer in NHL history. 

Really impossible to tell across different era's, but I don't think he's Bossy/Hull good, and of course Gretzky had those insane years

The goal total won't say it, but when it's all said it and done, I think Ovechkin will be the greatest goal scorer in NHL history. 

100% agree. I could only imagine what he would be doing playing in the 80s or even the early 90s. He has 4 more 50 goal seasons than anyone else in the league since his career began. 

# of 50 goal seasons since Ovechkin's rookie year (2005-06):

1: Malkin, Cheechoo, Perry, Crosby, Iginla, Lecavalier, Jagr

2: Stamkos, no name, Heatley

6: Ovechkin

Ovie also lost two chances for 50 goals due to lockouts.

Edited by Neb00rs

Really impossible to tell across different era's, but I don't think he's Bossy/Hull good, and of course Gretzky had those insane years

Since Ovechkin entered the league he has six of the nineteen 50+ goal seasons there have been. Only Stamkos, Kovalchuk and Healtey have 2. Take away the power play crazy 05-06 season, he has five of the last fourteen 50+ goal seasons. 

That's fourteen 50+ goal performances in the last nine seasons. From 87-88 to 89-90, there were twenty-two 50+ seasons. From 90-91 to 92-93, there were twenty-two more.

For the last 10 years, has their suddenly been a lack of talent in the NHL? Heck no. It's hard to score goals in today's NHL, and Ovechkin makes it look easy. Impossible to know...sure, but are we really thining the great goal scorers in history are going to put up close to the same numbers they did then...now?

Edited by devilsrule33

Below is the list of the top 25 players all time in goals per game. As you can see, only two other players from Ovie's era are on the list, and that's it. The next one is Crosby at 31. And no one playing today is really even close to Ovechkin in this category.

1. Mike Bossy 0.762
2. Cy Denneny 0.756
3. Mario Lemieux 0.754
4. Babe Dye 0.742
5. Alex Ovechkin 0.625
6. Pavel Bure 0.623
7. Wayne Gretzky 0.601
8. Brett Hull 0.584
9. Bobby Hull 0.574
10. Tim Kerr 0.565
11. Steven Stamkos 0.561
12. Rick Martin 0.561
13. Phil Esposito 0.559
14. Maurice Richard 0.556
15. Cam Neely 0.544
16. Marcel Dionne 0.542
17. Pat LaFontaine 0.541
18. no name 0.511
19. Rick Vaive 0.503
20. Michel Goulet 0.503
21. Nels Stewart 0.498
22. Guy Lafleur 0.497
23. Mike Gartner 0.494
24. Dino Ciccarelli 0.493
25. Howie Morenz 0.493

Edited by Neb00rs

Below is the list of the top 25 players all time in goals per game. As you can see, only two other players from Ovie's era are on the list, and that's it. The next one is Crosby at 31. And no one playing today is really even close to Ovechkin in this category.

1. Mike Bossy 0.762

2. Cy Denneny 0.756

3. Mario Lemieux 0.754

4. Babe Dye 0.742

5. Alex Ovechkin 0.625

6. Pavel Bure 0.623

7. Wayne Gretzky 0.601

8. Brett Hull 0.584

9. Bobby Hull 0.574

10. Tim Kerr 0.565

11. Steven Stamkos 0.561

12. Rick Martin 0.561

13. Phil Esposito 0.559

15. Cam Neely 0.544

16. Marcel Dionne 0.542

17. Pat LaFontaine 0.541

18. no name 0.511

19. Rick Vaive 0.503

20. Michel Goulet 0.503

21. Nels Stewart 0.498

22. Guy Lafleur 0.497

23. Mike Gartner 0.494

25. Howie Morenz 0.493

and numbers 2 and 4 shouldn't even be on that list. Neither have played more than 330 games

1. Mike Bossy 0.762

2. Cy Denneny 0.756

3. Mario Lemieux 0.754

4. Babe Dye 0.742

5. Alex Ovechkin 0.625

6. Pavel Bure 0.623

7. Wayne Gretzky 0.601

8. Brett Hull 0.584

9. Bobby Hull 0.574

10. Tim Kerr 0.565

11. Steven Stamkos 0.561

12. Rick Martin 0.561

13. Phil Esposito 0.559

15. Cam Neely 0.544

16. Marcel Dionne 0.542

17. Pat LaFontaine 0.541

18. no name 0.511

19. Rick Vaive 0.503

20. Michel Goulet 0.503

21. Nels Stewart 0.498

22. Guy Lafleur 0.497

23. Mike Gartner 0.494

25. Howie Morenz 0.493

G/GP is a bit unfair since Ovechkin only has his best days under his belt. It's only going to go down from this point forward, but the fact that he is right there with another highly regarded goal-scorer like Bure (who was forced into retirement before playing much in his 30s and played a good portion of his career in a more offensive era) is pretty impressive. 

Mike Bossy retired at 30. Mario Lemiuex left the game at 32 due to illness, and only played about 170 games the rest of his career. Both players numbers reflect playing in the best years of their career. I think there is a strong chance that Ovie could finish his career in the top 10, and given those who are ahead of him, and the stats of the other players in his era, that is damn impressive.

Ovechkin is also only 29. If he can play another 10 years and just average 30 goals a season (more than likely) over that span, he will finish with 772 goals (3rd all-time). I think he has a shot at finishing in the 820s and I definitely think that if he stays healthy he will pass Howe (801). The stats below are a very possible scenario for the next 10 years of his career, and give him an average of 35.3 goals per season over that span, and would give him 825 career goals.

15-16: 46

16-17: 44

17-18: 43

18-19: 40

19-20: 36

20-21: 32

21-22: 30

22-23: 29

23-24: 28

24-25: 25

Edited by Neb00rs

Just for fun, to break Gretzky's record he will need to average 42.3 goals per season over the next 10 years, and it is highly unlikely that he will play at a high enough level long enough and stay healthy enough to do so. Anyway, here's what that might look like:

15-16: 52
16-17: 48
17-18: 47
18-19: 45
19-20: 44
20-21: 42
21-22: 39
22-23: 37
23-24: 35
24-25: 34

(423 goals above + his current total of 472 = 895 goals, which is one more than Gretzky)

i find it very hard to dislike Ovi.  He's a superstar scorer that will check you into next week. he's 6'3" 230lbs, and not afraid to stick up for his teammates.  an elite playmaker. 

he also seems like a very outgoing person off the ice, always joking with the camera, etc.

i find it very hard to dislike Ovi.  He's a superstar scorer that will check you into next week. he's 6'3" 230lbs, and not afraid to stick up for his teammates.  an elite playmaker. 

he also seems like a very outgoing person off the ice, always joking with the camera, etc.

he's also not leaving the NHL for the KHL, i can dig that

He's gotta do this 3 more times to be in the discussion, for me

Hey, MB, isn't doing it 6 seasons enough for a discussion? Every Devils fan should love to have had him on our team. Why must he do it 3 more times, MB? There have been only 6 players to accomplish this feat Mike Bossy, Wayne Gretzky, Marcel Dionne, Guy Lafleur and Mario Lemieux.

Just for fun, to break Gretzky's record he will need to average 42.3 goals per season over the next 10 years, and it is highly unlikely that he will play at a high enough level long enough and stay healthy enough to do so. Anyway, here's what that might look like:

15-16: 52

16-17: 48

17-18: 47

18-19: 45

19-20: 44

20-21: 42

21-22: 39

22-23: 37

23-24: 35

24-25: 34

(423 goals above + his current total of 472 = 895 goals, which is one more than Gretzky)

So damned near impossible to try to predict this kind of stuff that it's almost pointless.  I'm guessing it's definitely not going to be this 1-to-4 goal decline each season.  Probably some up seasons and some down ones (with puck luck factoring in, etc)...guy has also remained remarkably healthy to this point.  Does seem hard to believe he doesn't score at least 700 goals for his career though (provided he never loses a season to injury or lockout), which is a big achievement.  I can't really assume more than that no matter what he's done to this point...just too many variables.     

So damned near impossible to try to predict this kind of stuff that it's almost pointless.  I'm guessing it's definitely not going to be this 1-to-4 goal decline each season.  Probably some up seasons and some down ones (with puck luck factoring in, etc)...guy has also remained remarkably healthy to this point.  Does seem hard to believe he doesn't score at least 700 goals for his career though (provided he never loses a season to injury or lockout), which is a big achievement.  I can't really assume more than that no matter what he's done to this point...just too many variables.     

The thing about Ovechkin is he is just a beast shooting the puck. This goes back to the argument that everyone has with SD about shot quality vs. shot quantity. On the surface Ovechkin has an incredible shot, but what really sets him apart is how often he gets his shot off. His rankings since coming into the league in shots: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 5, 1, 1, 1. Absolute incredible domination as an offensive player and his shooting percentage has been remarkably consistent his entire career.

The thing about Ovechkin is he is just a beast shooting the puck. This goes back to the argument that everyone has with SD about shot quality vs. shot quantity. On the surface Ovechkin has an incredible shot, but what really sets him apart is how often he gets his shot off. His rankings since coming into the league in shots: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 5, 1, 1, 1. Absolute incredible domination as an offensive player and his shooting percentage has been remarkably consistent his entire career.

He's definitely a shooting machine, no question.  It's just hard to tell how long he'll be able to do this, which I why I tend to go conservative on projections.  All it takes is one lost season, a chronic back, etc.  Sure, if everything breaks right, in four years he could have 650 goals or so.  To me, if he does that, and is not really showing any signs of slowing down, then you can start to talk about 800+ goals, or even scoring more goals than anyone else.

And Tri said it perfectly, re:  why I try to not to do too many cross-era comparisons.  I've said it before in different ways, but for all of the great 80s scoring highlights I watch, I find myself saying "Damn there were some awful goaltenders playing back then."  Ovechkin is doing his damage when no one else really is.  His 700+ goals will be a hell of a lot more impressive than Gartner's 700+. 

260+ pounds across the neck, POS move.  He went onto hit Zuccarello up around the head with about 40 seconds left costing the Jets any realistic chance of scoring the tying goal.  That was after Kreider blew by him for the gwg. Surprised nobody here is whining about Kreider crashing the net on that goal. I know we prefer 5'6" 170 guys that avoid the paint at all cost.  Personally I would take Kreider in a heartbeat and yes he has and will continue to cross the line but I would take that over soft. 

Edited by titans04

260+ pounds across the neck, POS move. He went onto hit Zuccarello up around the head with about 40 seconds left costing the Jets any realistic chance of scoring the tying goal. That was after Kreider blew by him for the gwg. Surprised nobody here is whining about Kreider crashing the net on that goal. I know we prefer 5'6" 170 guys that avoid the paint at all cost. Personally I would take Kreider in a heartbeat and yes he has and will continue to cross the line but I would take that over soft.

As we've discussed, Kreider is the guy you love when he's on your team, and loathe when he's on any other team, particularly that team. If Buff wanted to go after someone, it should've been Kreider. He's long overdue.

Very interesting: http://m.thn.com/blog/nhl-decision-to-go-back-to-compensation-system-makes-a-lot-of-sense/

As first reported by Pierre LeBrun of espn.com, about eight months ago the league quietly reversed itself on the issue of compensation. Any team hiring someone from another organization who is under contract to be a GM, coach or president, must now compensate the team losing the staffer with a draft pick. If the hiring is done in the off-season, the team hiring the new man must surrender a third-round pick. If it’s done mid-season, the pick becomes a second-rounder.

Very interesting: http://m.thn.com/blog/nhl-decision-to-go-back-to-compensation-system-makes-a-lot-of-sense/

As first reported by Pierre LeBrun of espn.com, about eight months ago the league quietly reversed itself on the issue of compensation. Any team hiring someone from another organization who is under contract to be a GM, coach or president, must now compensate the team losing the staffer with a draft pick. If the hiring is done in the off-season, the team hiring the new man must surrender a third-round pick. If it’s done mid-season, the pick becomes a second-rounder.

The report is second-hand, so we don't know whether it applies to coaches that are simply under contract (which DeBoer probably will be for another year or so even though we don't know what the term was) but have otherwise been fired.  Whatever the case, I don't see DeBoer being such a hot commodity that a team would be willing to give up a third round pick for him.