2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

Wow, after all that time on the playoff bubble it ends up being Edmonton that possibly just did LA in. LA fans are going to have a hard time stomaching that one for awhile. Good thing they have those two Cups in the last three years to cheer them up.

Edited by Neb00rs

Reminds me of us vs Ottawa in 1996. And we blew leads in that game too.

Oh man, I'll never forget that one.  I was dating a girl who was going to Colgate at the time, and the WFAN came in on the radio...just barely, and with long periods of unlistenable static.  Caught the score when it was 2-1 Devils, then couldn't hear anything through the static.  Later we were driving around, and I saw from the time of day that the game had to be over, so I popped the WFAN back on...after a while, I heard 5-2, then a few minutes later heard just enough to know that it was the Devils who had lost the game.  I've had worse feelings than that as a sports fan (both Pats losses against the Giants in the Super Bowl, Game 7 against Carolina, Game 7 against Colorado, among others), but that one ranked right up there.

But yeah, killer loss for LA.  Making the playoffs was no small feat this season...in the Eastern Conference, you could have a team finish with 99 points and not get in. 

Oh man, I'll never forget that one.  I was dating a girl who was going to Colgate at the time, and the WFAN came in on the radio...just barely, and with long periods of unlistenable static.  Caught the score when it was 2-1 Devils, then couldn't hear anything through the static.  Later we were driving around, and I saw from the time of day that the game had to be over, so I popped the WFAN back on...after a while, I heard 5-2, then a few minutes later heard just enough to know that it was the Devils who had lost the game.  I've had worse feelings than that as a sports fan (both Pats losses against the Giants in the Super Bowl, Game 7 against Carolina, Game 7 against Colorado, among others), but that one ranked right up there.

But yeah, killer loss for LA.  Making the playoffs was no small feat this season...in the Eastern Conference, you could have a team finish with 99 points and not get in. 

Game 7 against Carolina, Jesus. I was thinking about that last night when I was trying to figure out what was worse than getting booed off the ice in Newark by Rags fans.

I was actually somewhat looking forward to the Isles in the playoffs, especially if there was a Rangers series, but I decided it'd be way more satisfying for them to somehow blow it, and skate off the Coliseum ice for the last time after a historic collapse. If the Pens figure something out and win in regulation, they're facing an unstoppable Blue Jackets team Saturday, they're in serious trouble.

How the fvck do you lose to Edmonton if you're in LA's position? I mean, how?

Maybe all the games they've played the past 4 years have finally caught up. The Kings haven't been the same team. The loss of Voynov hurt them defensively. And loss of Pearson on offense. The offense isn't top heavy. If Carter, Kopitar, Gaborik, Williams or Toffoli aren't scoring, there's not a lot of depth. Brown's had a miserable year. Stoll missed time. Alec Martinez missed a chunk. Doughty is basically superman for them logging all those minutes. Most perplexing is Sutter opted to start Jones against Edmonton over Quick due to previous history (2 SHO). Not that they lost due to him. The 3rd Edmonton goal nobody took Pitlick off a faceoff. 

''We just didn't have enough energy, enough jump,'' Kings forward Anze Kopitar said. ''We didn't play our style of game. I don't know what the reason was. It just wasn't good enough. That's the bottom line.''

Sit back and enjoy the last few weeks of Mike Johnston as head coach of the Pens, because that sinking ship is going down with him.

Just watching him with his arms folded after Ottawa tied it and then won it was odd. Terrible body language. More Pens fans are pointing the finger at him. 

Regarding Ottawa, that was a tremendous comeback. They showed so much heart. Their rookies are tremendous. Stone is making a late Calder push and Hoffman has been good all season. Give them tons of credit. It really comes down to tomorrow at MSG. They have to win. If they do, that puts a lot of pressure on the Pens and Isles Friday. Here is your exciting Eastern playoff picture.

Wild Tuesday Sets Up Frantic Finish

Just watching him with his arms folded after Ottawa tied it and then won it was odd. Terrible body language. More Pens fans are pointing the finger at him.

Babcock will have a very big decision to make this summer: does he take Toronto's blank check, setting a new precedent for coaches' salaries, but having to embrace a rebuild? Or does he go to Pittsburgh for probably less than what Toronto would offer, but a ready-made situation with two of the top 5 players in the world? Or stay in Detroit? He'll have plenty of options. Edited by MadDog2020

Vancouver resigned Luca Sbisa to a 3-year deal and, hilariously, Derek Dorsett to a 4-year deal. Derek Dorsett got a 4-year deal. I think I've seen it all now...

Haha. Four years for Dorse. Woh. He's had a good season for Vancity. But come on. Not many expected the Canucks back in the playoffs. The Sedins still got something left and Vrbata was a great signing. Eddie Lack has come through with Miller down. 

Maybe all the games they've played the past 4 years have finally caught up. The Kings haven't been the same team. The loss of Voynov hurt them defensively. And loss of Pearson on offense. The offense isn't top heavy. If Carter, Kopitar, Gaborik, Williams or Toffoli aren't scoring, there's not a lot of depth. Brown's had a miserable year. Stoll missed time. Alec Martinez missed a chunk. Doughty is basically superman for them logging all those minutes. Most perplexing is Sutter opted to start Jones against Edmonton over Quick due to previous history (2 SHO). Not that they lost due to him. The 3rd Edmonton goal nobody took Pitlick off a faceoff. 

''We just didn't have enough energy, enough jump,'' Kings forward Anze Kopitar said. ''We didn't play our style of game. I don't know what the reason was. It just wasn't good enough. That's the bottom line.''

How's the 2002 Devils for a comparison? Deep, recent, LENGTHY cup runs seem to have caught up with them. Not to mention, they haven't been world beaters in the regular season anyway.

How's the 2002 Devils for a comparison? Deep, recent, LENGTHY cup runs seem to have caught up with them. Not to mention, they haven't been world beaters in the regular season anyway.

I remember some beat writer suggesting that many of the Devils had really grown sick of each other, because they had spent so much time together. Who knows if that was actually true.

With Boston's loss to Washington tonight, here's the scenario:

Boston and Ottawa both have 95 points and 80 GP.

If Boston and Ottawa both go 2-0-0 to finish the season (with the same number of shootouts played in those games), Boston gets the playoff spot on account of ROW (the same can be said if both teams finish the season with the same record of any combination of W-L-OT and shootouts).

If Ottawa and Boston both go 2-0-0, but Boston goes to the shootout twice, then Ottawa will most likely get the spot because of a better goal differential. This is because the teams would be tied in points, tied in ROW and tied in Head-to-Head results. Ottawa is 3-2 against Boston this year, but the first game in Boston is dropped because it is the extra home game played in the season series and Ottawa won that game, so the result is a 2-2 season series. Right now Ottawa is +18 in goal differential, while Boston is +5.

Obviously, if the two teams have different records of any sort to finish the season, one of the teams will have more points, and thus, get the playoff spot.

Basically said, in all likelihood Ottawa needs Boston to drop one more point to have a shot at the playoffs.

Notes:

With a goal and an assist tonight, Marcus Johansson reached a new career high for points in a season (47).

With a win tonight against Dallas, Anaheim takes the Western Conference crown.

Edited by Neb00rs

With Boston's loss to Washington tonight, here's the scenario:

Boston and Ottawa both have 95 points and 80 GP.

If Boston and Ottawa both go 2-0-0 to finish the season (with the same number of shootouts played in those games), Boston gets the playoff spot on account of ROW (the same can be said if both teams finish the season with the same record of any combination of W-L-OT and shootouts).

Not just about Boston. Pitt and the Isles aren't safe yet either. 

Vancouver resigned Luca Sbisa to a 3-year deal and, hilariously, Derek Dorsett to a 4-year deal. Derek Dorsett got a 4-year deal. I think I've seen it all now...

Unbelieveable... Some bad precedents going into July's free agency. They're getting worse each year.

So, after Dallas's win last night, they took over the NHL lead in team goals scored. If they can finish the season in that position, it will be the first time since the 1947-48 season that the team that leads the league in goals scored, doesn't make the playoffs.

1947-48 standings:

So, after Dallas's win last night, they took over the NHL lead in team goals scored. If they can finish the season in that position, it will be the first time since the 1947-48 season that the team that leads the league in goals scored, doesn't make the playoffs.

1947-48 standings:

That's pretty crazy.

Well the Rags lied down like dogs, and Boston is losing 3-1 to Florida in the 3rd, so Boston will be out of a playoff spot at night's end. The Rags will likely get a tomato can like Ottawa or Pittsburgh in the first round now.

Edited by MadDog2020