2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

The report is second-hand, so we don't know whether it applies to coaches that are simply under contract (which DeBoer probably will be for another year or so even though we don't know what the term was) but have otherwise been fired.  Whatever the case, I don't see DeBoer being such a hot commodity that a team would be willing to give up a third round pick for him. 

If a team wants to hire a coach, they are not going to let a 3rd round pick stand in their way.

If a team wants to hire a coach, they are not going to let a 3rd round pick stand in their way.

What do you base this on? I imagine that unless we are talking about someone like Babcock, several candidates are considered for head coaching openings, and the fact that you have to give up compensation of some significance would come into play if we're talking about a coach that's made the playoffs once and got fired twice, but who you're betting on upside or something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you base this on? I imagine that unless we are talking about someone like Babcock, several candidates are considered for head coaching openings, and the fact that you have to give up compensation of some significance would come into play if we're talking about a coach that's made the playoffs once and got fired twice, but who you're betting on upside or something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I base it on how hockey executives tend to treat 3rd round picks.  If you interview people for the job, and you decide on the person you want to be your coach, you won't let a 3rd round pick stop you.  A 3rd round pick is really not that valuable in the scope of things, and you have multiple years to give it up.

I expect this to change basically nothing about how organizations operate.

Edited by Triumph

he's also not leaving the NHL for the KHL, i can dig that

Yeah...this.

So damned near impossible to try to predict this kind of stuff that it's almost pointless.  I'm guessing it's definitely not going to be this 1-to-4 goal decline each season.  Probably some up seasons and some down ones (with puck luck factoring in, etc)...guy has also remained remarkably healthy to this point.  Does seem hard to believe he doesn't score at least 700 goals for his career though (provided he never loses a season to injury or lockout), which is a big achievement.  I can't really assume more than that no matter what he's done to this point...just too many variables.     

Of course, I was putting forth just a basic scenario of Ovechkin deteriorating with age over the years. No point in guessing up and down years, because as you say, the whole guessing game is futile in the first place. What matters is the average goals per season over those scenarios. Barring serious injury, I think he can pull 800. The Gretzky record-breaking one you quoted, was as I said, "just for fun."

Edited by Neb00rs

Considering the eras in which they played, I definitely have to say that Ovechkin is a better goal scorer than Bossy and possibly Gretzky.  I don't think he'll sniff any of Gretzky's big years, but like others have said, Gretzky never had to face the quality of goaltenders, dmen, or defensive systems than Ovechkin does on a nightly basis.  I know, Gretzky drew the team's best defenders, but as a whole they weren't as good as they are now.  Obviously, Gretzky was light years ahead of Ovechkin as a play-maker, but in terms of pure goal scoring, I give Ovechkin the edge.

As for Bossy, he only led the league in goals twice.  In 84, he scored 51 goals, which was only good enough for 7th in the league.  He did finish in the top 3 in 7 of his 10 years.  In 9 years, Ovechkin has led the league 4 times and this year will be 5 in 10 years.  Has finished in the top-3 7 of the 10 years (including this year).

Considering the eras in which they played, I definitely have to say that Ovechkin is a better goal scorer than Bossy and possibly Gretzky.  I don't think he'll sniff any of Gretzky's big years, but like others have said, Gretzky never had to face the quality of goaltenders, dmen, or defensive systems than Ovechkin does on a nightly basis.  I know, Gretzky drew the team's best defenders, but as a whole they weren't as good as they are now.  Obviously, Gretzky was light years ahead of Ovechkin as a play-maker, but in terms of pure goal scoring, I give Ovechkin the edge.

As for Bossy, he only led the league in goals twice.  In 84, he scored 51 goals, which was only good enough for 7th in the league.  He did finish in the top 3 in 7 of his 10 years.  In 9 years, Ovechkin has led the league 4 times and this year will be 5 in 10 years.  Has finished in the top-3 7 of the 10 years (including this year).

a large amount of gretz's goals were on the ice. the tall butterfly goalie would  make those significantly more difficult. the question than would be, could wayne adjust

It's not fair to be comparing guys from different eras, especially in hockey. I think the skill level has changed more than in any other sport. In the 30's and 40's, some of those guys could barely skate. Ovechkin is playing in an era of incredibly low scoring. He'd be scoring three goals every night if he was playing on those oilers teams. But again, that's not a fair thing to say. Players are always training and trying to perform up to the level of their top competitors, and the elite guys are pushing their game a little further than that. Obviously Gretzky in the 80's isn't competing in today's NHL, but if he was 20 years younger and he's trained in a different culture, maybe he still becomes Gretzky playing a more modern game. Obviously Ovi's numbers need to be weighted playing this kind hockey.

The Bruins, Sens, and Panthers all won. That's true April hockey. Unfortunately for the Panthers, Boston's 4 game winning streak has practically eliminated them from contention, despite their high level of play of late. Another Boston win, or a Florida loss, would eliminate Florida.

The Bruins, Sens, and Panthers all won. That's true April hockey. Unfortunately for the Panthers, Boston's 4 game winning streak has practically eliminated them from contention, despite their high level of play of late. Another Boston win, or a Florida loss, would eliminate Florida.

What about the Red Wings? They have the same amount of points as Boston.

What about the Red Wings? They have the same amount of points as Boston.

Didn't mention them for two reasons:

1. They lost tonight

2. They are all but in. Ottawa does not have a game-in-hand on them as they do on Boston. We are at that point where single games matter. Even if Ottawa goes 4-1-0 to finish the season, all Detroit would need, is to go 2-2-1. So even if Ottawa finishes on a streak, Detroit only has to play mediocre; though, they do have a tough schedule.

Edited by Neb00rs

Bunz? The fvck who? 7 goals on 25 shots? He looked like a middle school goalie on the last three goals....... Now 8

Fasth bombed 4 months ago. Bachman left for a death in his family. Scrivens got lit up tonight = Tyler "ECHL" Bunz.