2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

The Blues also put themselves in position to be able to have a shot at the Western crown. Though, they still need Anaheim to drop one more point.

Jake Allen has really turned it around lately. .920+ Sv% in 6 straight games, .944+ Sv% in his last 4 games. He's been around a .920 Sv% since the start of January. I didn't see that coming.

I'm honestly scared guys. I thought last year's playoffs were tough to watch but this year.... I cannot handle the rags winning it. My life would be a living hell, and i'm sure most of yours would be too. I just do not think i can take it

Edited by Louismydad

Notes:

Jagr now has 16 points in 19 games with Florida after 29 points in 59 games with the Devils. He might have had quite a season had he been in a better situation for the whole year.

Darcy Kuemper was solid in his first start since Jan. 6, stopping 32 of 34 shots against the Preds.

Jimmy Howard has been really subpar since the start of January: he has an .896 Sv% since then. Not sure how much longer he'll be the starter in Detroit.

Sean Couturier reached the 15 goal mark for the first time in his career tonight. He's still only 22; and I wouldn't be surprised if he breaks out offensively next year.

As we know, Ottawa put itself into a playoff spot tonight. Andrew Hammond is now 19-1-2 to start his career, with a .940 Sv%. Along with that, with an assist tonight, 6th round draft pick Mark Stone now has 62 points in his rookie season and is tied for 2nd among rookies in points with Filip Forsberg. Anyone who says they saw that coming should be making millions as a psychic. There's an old Clint Eastwood line that goes "Deserves got nothin' to do with it." Well, in this case that doesn't seem to be true: Ottawa deserves a playoff spot, and it looks like they are going to get it. They are the story of the season for me.

Ondrej Pavelec might have saved his career this year. Despite losing to Colorado 1-0 in a shootout tonight, he now has three straight shutouts, and has set career highs in Sv% (.920), Shutouts (5), and GAA (2.28). After his .901 Sv% last year and Michael Hutchinson's stellar start to this season, back around the turn of the new year, it looked like Pavelec was done in Winnipeg. Now I am not so sure, especially with the Jets clinching a playoff spot tonight.

Due to Richard Bachman being sent down to the minors so he could be with his pregnant wife, Laurent Brossoit, who started this season as the AHL backup (and kind of even started as the 3rd string AHL goalie) got the start for Edmonton today. He carried a shutout midway into the 3rd period before giving up a few goals in a 3-1 loss to the Sharks. Brossoit stopped 49 of 51 shots (the 3rd goal was an EN) and was the first star of the game.

Canucks D-man Dan Hamhuis scored a goal tonight, avoiding his first goaless season in his 11-year NHL career.

Edited by Neb00rs

Calgary Notes:

Johnny Gaudreau took sole possession of the rookie scoring lead (64 points) with a goal and an assist tonight.

With 3 points tonight, Jiri Hudler now has 76 points on the season (31G, 45A) and holds on to 8th in the league in points. The guy has eclipsed his previous career high in points (57) by 19 points (2006-07) and still has a game left to play. 

On that note here is a list of Calgary Flames players who set new career highs in points this year:

Jiri Hudler

Sean Monahan

Dennis Wideman

Marc Giordano (despite playing only 61 games)

TJ Brodie

Lance Bouma

Kris Russell

Joe Colborne (tied career high)

Well the Rags lied down like dogs, and Boston is losing 3-1 to Florida in the 3rd, so Boston will be out of a playoff spot at night's end. The Rags will likely get a tomato can like Ottawa or Pittsburgh in the first round now.

Why are you worried about Boston? The Bruins are not the Bruins of the last 3-4 years, or they wouldn't be losing crucial games in a row just to make the playoffs. Ottawa has been the hottest team and has a lot more firepower than the Bruins.

Neb00rs, Stone is a stud. I know you said you haven't heard of him, but this isn't that giant of a shock (I mean maybe that he's doing it this soon). He's been dominating ever since his draft year. He might have been Ottawa's best player against the Devils last year in a game I can remember. Stone has been the Sens best forward by far, and has been hyped for a long time.

It's laughable that Maclean had Stone scratched at the start of the year along with Zibanejad, Hoffman, Pageau, and Condra. 

Edited by devilsrule33

Neb00rs, Stone is a stud. I know you said you haven't heard of him, but this isn't that giant of a shock (I mean maybe that he's doing it this soon). He's been dominating ever since his draft year. He might have been Ottawa's best player against the Devils last year in a game I can remember. Stone has been the Sens best forward by far, and has been hyped for a long time.

It's laughable that Maclean had Stone scratched at the start of the year along with Zibanejad, Hoffman, Pageau, and Condra. 

Fair enough, I see that he started lighting up the WHL after his draft year, from age 19-20. Still, 70 points in his first 102 NHL games is pretty startling. How a guy with his size and skill slips so far down the draft is pretty bemusing. I mean, if he was 5'9 180, I'd get it.

Edited by Neb00rs

Why are you worried about Boston? The Bruins are not the Bruins of the last 3-4 years, or they wouldn't be losing crucial games in a row just to make the playoffs. Ottawa has been the hottest team and has a lot more firepower than the Bruins.

Because Boston is built for the playoffs and they match up well with the Rags- a lot better than Ottawa or Pittsburgh. Plus they'd punish the Rags physically over the course of a series.

How? Can they be built for the playoffs when they aren't even in them? They can't score goals either and they give up a decent amount. All they have is the physicality to put a beating but that is also counter productive.

Because Boston is built for the playoffs and they match up well with the Rags- a lot better than Ottawa or Pittsburgh. Plus they'd punish the Rags physically over the course of a series.

Edited by CarterforPresident

How? Can they be built for the playoffs when they aren't even in them? They can't score goals either and they give up a decent amount. All they have is the physicality to put a beating but that is also counter productive.

Can the Kings be built for the playoffs when they aren't even in them either? The playoffs are a different animal than the regular season. Over the course of a 7- game series, Boston would be a tough out.

he played really big for team canada juniors too, was their best forward for sure

Edited by SterioDesign

This 100%.

I see a lot of Devils fans cheering in jubilation about Boston and LA being out for some reason, and I don't know why. Those were the top 2 teams most Rangers fans did not want to face at any point, and for good reason.

Rangers rested 3 of their stars last night and skated at half-speed, yes, to avoid any injuries and get some rest, but also seemingly to help the Ottawa cause. C'mon, we all know Rangers can beat either Ottawa or Pittsburgh in 4 or 5. A Boston series would go to 7, win or loss.

Edited by DJ Eco

This 100%.

I see a lot of Devils fans cheering in jubilation about Boston and LA being out for some reason, and I don't know why. Those were the top 2 teams most Rangers fans did not want to face at any point, and for good reason.

Rangers rested 3 of their stars last night and skated at half-speed, yes, to avoid any injuries and get some rest, but also seemingly to help the Ottawa cause. C'mon, we all know Rangers can beat either Ottawa or Pittsburgh in 4 or 5. A Boston series would go to 7, win or loss.

We can hope Ottawa loses to Philly and Boston beats Tampa, but it's unlikely. I think Boston is done. Pittsburgh is getting in, even if they lose tonight, there's no chance they'll lose to Buffalo tomorrow.

Thing that scares me about Rags v. Ottawa is Hammond. Yeah, he's put together 2 months of superb play and he deserves to be lauded for that. He truly has been a revelation for the Sens. However, we've seen this story before. The bottom is going to fall out and it can be said with 100% certainty. I'm sorry, but the guy was sub .900% in the AHL (pretty similar stats to Wedgewood). I know you have to ride him since he got the Sens there, but I believe Anderson gives them a better shot

Thing that scares me about Rags v. Ottawa is Hammond. Yeah, he's put together 2 months of superb play and he deserves to be lauded for that. He truly has been a revelation for the Sens. However, we've seen this story before. The bottom is going to fall out and it can be said with 100% certainty. I'm sorry, but the guy was sub .900% in the AHL (pretty similar stats to Wedgewood). I know you have to ride him since he got the Sens there, but I believe Anderson gives them a better shot

Not just Hammond, but the production they've been getting from their young guys like Hoffman and Stone is what's helping them along. I just don't see any way they keep this rolling against the Rags. The Rags would probably sweep them. 5 games max.

Not just Hammond, but the production they've been getting from their young guys like Hoffman and Stone is what's helping them along. I just don't see any way they keep this rolling against the Rags. The Rags would probably sweep them. 5 games max.

Nah, Stone and Hoffman are legit. Their d is a bit loosey goosey, which NYR could/would exploit.