2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

That's about what he should be averaging in that glorified beer league.  Anything less then he would be a miserable failure.

I am just happy the Devils are out of that contract.  By year 7 that thing would have been extremely painful and with another 8 years left on it.

Just pointing out that some folks here are pretty unfair, he doesnt score enough for some reason and he's done and never helped us (cause yeah some are saying that during his time here he was not a good player) and then he scores at a good rate and its "well thats what he should be doing anyway".... the guy simply can't win with some people here. lol

We ALL know both Zach and Kovy would be a disaster in a few years with their contracts. But the people who were praising them when they were here and then bashing them like they were never good. That's a bit hypocrite and speaking with blinders or butthurt

Just pointing out that some folks here are pretty unfair, he doesnt score enough for some reason and he's done and never helped us (cause yeah some are saying that during his time here he was not a good player) and then he scores at a good rate and its "well thats what he should be doing anyway".... the guy simply can't win with some people here. lol

We ALL know both Zach and Kovy would be a disaster in a few years with their contracts. But the people who were praising them when they were here and then bashing them like they were never good. That's a bit hypocrite and speaking with blinders or butthurt

Well there is some truth to what you are saying and there is some truth to what others have said.

Losing Zach and Kovy def hurt.  If anyone disagrees with that then they are just lying.  They were also pretty big cogs in that 12 cup run team and without them, then they probably wouldn't have made it to the finals.

That being said, contracts are supposed to be looked at "what can you do for me in these x years" instead of "look at what you have done in these past x years"  Clearly Kovy's contract as well as Zach's contract with the Wild were done with both A) lessening the cap hit and B) with a mentality of "we need a winner now and will worry about his inevitable declining production when we get to it".  Do you think Zach in year 8 of his contract will be of any good?  Would Kovy have been good by year 7 of his contract?  The answer to this is very likely no and it would have been ugly.  That and with the cap recapture penalty would have made things worse.

It actually does benefit the Devils in the long run not having these sort of contracts in the post Lockout 3 world and gives us a lot more flexibility.

Also finally while Kovy was good, he was never great or at least as productive as he was in previous seasons.  Yeah he became more of a complete player but he was brought in to score goals and outside of the 11-12 season he struggled at times at doing that for some pretty good stretches.

You keep having these imaginary arguments. Pretty much everyone liked Kovy and Parise, but didn't feel they were worth the cap hits and giant contracts. People were pointing out that Kovalchuk was already having a rough time last year. He'd be making 11.3 million this year, 11.6 next year, and 11.8 the year after that. 

As for Zach, again, great player, but not one anyone wants to latch on to for 13 years. I think Zach is a great player, but you can't think he's worth the 16 million Minnesota is paying him this year when you include the $5 million signing bonus.

You keep having these imaginary arguments. Pretty much everyone liked Kovy and Parise, but didn't feel they were worth the cap hits and giant contracts. People were pointing out that Kovalchuk was already having a rough time last year. He'd be making 11.3 million this year, 11.6 next year, and 11.8 the year after that. 

As for Zach, again, great player, but not one anyone wants to latch on to for 13 years. I think Zach is a great player, but you can't think he's worth the 16 million Minnesota is paying him this year when you include the $5 million signing bonus.

Aren't Toews and Kane making less than $16 million and still less when their new contracts kick in next year?  This just is more proof at how insane Parise's contract is.

I've been watching all the KHL games that are broadcasted on One World Sports and I have to say that some of the defense and goaltending is absolutely brutal. Right now there are over 20 players above a point per game, including guys like Stephane Da Costa (1 less point than Kovalchuk). Even Nicklas Bergfors is almost a point per game player right now. Last year only saw 4 players finish above a point per game so I think the scoring is really inflated in the KHL right now.

Weird, seemed like the goaltending was good in the K last season.  What happened? 

SD, re:  Kovy, DD56 and DM84 pretty much said it all, so I won't add much to it.  Not even worth rehashing...if he's playing well in the K, for whatever the reasons, good for him...who knows, maybe after a meh-ish season last year in the K and the Olympics and his KHL team's disappointing playoff performance, maybe he's got some extra drive or is feeling better physically (or is in better shape). 

Anyway, looks like things are finally coming together for the Isles (but yeah, playing the 'Canes doesn't hurt). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

What i'm saying was really not based on contracts but more like posters who'd never ever say a single bad thing about those guys claiming they were both top 10 players in the NHL that Zach was a cadillac kind of player, a coach dream etc etc but at the second they left they were bums and suddenly they had a bunch of flaws, no shots, couldnt score from 10 feets away, not clutch etc etc. I am certainly not imagining this at all and i never said everyone here does it but i am 110% sure of what im saying here.

The Isles really can't be all that good can they? 2 of their 3 wins came against Carolina.

They just took the Sharks to a shootout which they won.  They also blew out the defending EC champs in their own building.  Yes it is very early, but many people predicted them to make the playoffs.

What i'm saying was really not based on contracts but more like posters who'd never ever say a single bad thing about those guys claiming they were both top 10 players in the NHL that Zach was a cadillac kind of player, a coach dream etc etc but at the second they left they were bums and suddenly they had a bunch of flaws, no shots, couldnt score from 10 feets away, not clutch etc etc. I am certainly not imagining this at all and i never said everyone here does it but i am 110% sure of what im saying here.

Why does everything have to be black or white? People can point out flaws in a players game that show why a large long term contract may be a bad idea without hating them.

Those are true things. Zach scores in the dirty areas which means he takes a beating and didn't wow anyone in the playoffs. He also missed significant time with knee injury. These are all logical thoughts when considering a signing. Zach for 5 -7 years at 7 million? A little risky but ok. Zach for 13 years at 7.5, including 2 seasons making 22 million including signing bonus? Nope.

Again these are logical thoughts that go into signing a player long term. For example, signing Schneider to a 7 year deal is risky because he's never played over 50 games in an NHL season. That doesn't mean I hate Schneider.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Why does everything have to be black or white? People can point out flaws in a players game that show why a large long term contract may be a bad idea without hating them.

Those are true things. Zach scores in the dirty areas which means he takes a beating and didn't wow anyone in the playoffs. He also missed significant time with knee injury. These are all logical thoughts when considering a signing. Zach for 5 -7 years at 7 million? A little risky but ok. Zach for 13 years at 7.5, including 2 seasons making 22 million including signing bonus? Nope.

these are logical thoughts that go into signing a player long term. For example, signing Schneider to a 7 year deal is risky because he's never played over 50 games in an NHL season. That doesn't mean I hate Schneider.

dude youre missing the whole point 100%, like way way off

and if anything im always the one talking in grey areas and everyone come back to me with black on white responses 

Edited by SterioDesign

dude youre missing the whole point 100%, like way way off

and if anything im always the one talking in grey areas and everyone come back to me with black on white responses

Once again, if EVERYONE is missing your points, maybe that says something.

You've yet to show an example of someone saying zach or kovy were great until they left, and then hating them when they were gone. You just claim to remember it, and that somehow means everyone else is "blind or butthurt". Other than people saying negatives when caught up in the moment of them leaving, most people have been pretty realistic about them both.

Now, I'm sure i missed your elusive point again, but maybe you can find an example other than "people liked zach and kovy and now they don't "

• Like 1

So we didn't even make the top 16 in this week's NHL power rankings.

I know it's only the NHL website. But you wonder what we would have to do to get in there. Go 4-0-0 with a goal differential of +20?

I was just reading that a few minutes ago. Devils are in at #11 this week:

11. New Jersey Devils (3-0-0)

They don't have a home game until Saturday, but three wins away from Prudential Center is a nice way to start. The game at Tampa Bay was a good test after racking up 11 goals against two defense-deficient sides. Cory Schneider was at least one knucklehead's preseason Vezina Trophy winner [http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=733261], and so far so good on that front.

MUST READ: The Devils have found some forward depth, writes Alex Potts of In Lou We Trust.

ww.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=734778&navid=nhl:topheads

I was just reading that a few minutes ago. Devils are in at #11 this week:

11. New Jersey Devils (3-0-0)

They don't have a home game until Saturday, but three wins away from Prudential Center is a nice way to start. The game at Tampa Bay was a good test after racking up 11 goals against two defense-deficient sides. Cory Schneider was at least one knucklehead's preseason Vezina Trophy winner [http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=733261], and so far so good on that front.

MUST READ: The Devils have found some forward depth, writes Alex Potts of In Lou We Trust.

ww.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=734778&navid=nhl:topheads

How did I miss that?

My bad. The NHL website doesn't display well on my phone.