Preseason GDT: Devils @ The Rangers

Derlique

It was more 2012-ish. Last year we'd give up the tying goals in regulation and either score in OT or lose a shootout.

True... The common thread is the blown leads, which seem to be a DeBoer staple.

So who doesn't make the team based on the his performance in this game?

Surprise Can Janssen!!

Why was he in this game?

Don't forget Komisarek.

Saw all of Kaberle, Kelly and Komisarek we needed to see. They don't belong in this league. Fedontenko as well. He's a more fragile Zubrus at this point. 

Josefson doesn't look any different out there. Will be interesting to see if Gomez can win the job. Bouch looked good. Severson didn't stand out all that much. 

I was really cheering for Scott Gomez to make the team. But I think it's going to be tough for him if Elias and Henrique both play center. Stephen Gionta is probably a lock to make the starting day roster. And who knows with Josefsen. 

I actually thought Kaberle looked good out there. Calm with the puck. Great passer. But the kids looked great too. Tough choices all over the place for DeBoer.

Edited by devils102

Yeah, I guess I'll do a rundown on everyone - why not

Elias - who cares, it's preseason

Zubrus - same thing, although I can't say I loved his game

Havlat - he's got the shiftiness.  He stood out on a number of plays - the Devils are going to have to give him a finisher.

Boucher - great game, probably make him the player of the game.  Made the right reads on the puck and made some excellent plays with it.

Henrique - also had a very solid game - what a ripper to end it

Ryder - still skates the same as ever but somehow managed two goals tonight.  Just don't ever give him the puck in the neutral zone

Matteau - liked his game - played tough

Josefson - Blah.  Not much here tonight from Jacob.  Still only preseason but I was unimpressed.

Tootoo - still has the wheels, still takes bad penalties.

Fedotenko - didn't look terrible, but didn't look all that good either.

Sestito-Janssen - I don't need to say anything about these two

On to the defense:

Gelinas-Larsson - Gelinas made some good defensive reads.  He had a particularly nice sequence 1 on 1 with Martin St. Louis.  As for Larsson, he's still got all the problems he's had the last 3 years - he has trouble turning and accelerating.  Still made some good reads in the D zone.

Kaberle-Severson - I actually liked what Kaberle was doing out there, he has a good idea of how to break the puck out.  I'm curious how he would play in the corners of a non-preseason game.  And of course he never shoots, but we knew that already.  Severson also looked pretty good - he had a few poor breakout passes but he's got the right idea of what to do.  He's not trying to go off the glass with stuff, and that's a good sign.

Kelly-Komisarek - It's hard to judge Dan Kelly because he played beside Mike Komisarek who was basically a wreck all night.  Komisarek got 13 minutes in a preseason game which isn't exactly a show of confidence - I'll be very surprised if he ends up on this team. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I guess I'll do a rundown on everyone - why not

Elias - who cares, it's preseason

Zubrus - same thing, although I can't say I loved his game

Havlat - he's got the shiftiness.  He stood out on a number of plays - the Devils are going to have to give him a finisher.

Boucher - great game, probably make him the player of the game.  Made the right reads on the puck and made some excellent plays with it.

Henrique - also had a very solid game - what a ripper to end it

Ryder - still skates the same as ever but somehow managed two goals tonight.  Just don't ever give him the puck in the neutral zone

Matteau - liked his game - played tough

Josefson - Blah.  Not much here tonight from Jacob.  Still only preseason but I was unimpressed.

Tootoo - still has the wheels, still takes bad penalties.

Fedotenko - didn't look terrible, but didn't look all that good either.

Sestito-Janssen - I don't need to say anything about these two

On to the defense:

Gelinas-Larsson - Gelinas made some good defensive reads.  He had a particularly nice sequence 1 on 1 with Martin St. Louis.  As for Larsson, he's still got all the problems he's had the last 3 years - he has trouble turning and accelerating.  Still made some good reads in the D zone.

Kaberle-Severson - I actually liked what Kaberle was doing out there, he has a good idea of how to break the puck out.  I'm curious how he would play in the corners of a non-preseason game.  And of course he never shoots, but we knew that already.  Severson also looked pretty good - he had a few poor breakout passes but he's got the right idea of what to do.  He's not trying to go off the glass with stuff, and that's a good sign.

Kelly-Komisarek - It's hard to judge Dan Kelly because he played beside Mike Komisarek who was basically a wreck all night.  Komisarek got 13 minutes in a preseason game which isn't exactly a show of confidence - I'll be very surprised if he ends up on this team. 

Thanks for this. Trying to figure out what would have to take place for Boucher to make the team besides Clowe somehow not being ready.

I'm not sure what the situation is with Ryan Carter and any secret handshake deal his agent has with Lou (if any), but I think he and Tootoo will be fighting for a spot, and Tootoo can definitely win it. As Sarge said in the chat, Carter is more versatile...but Tootoo has the higher ceiling.

Great night for Boucher. Ryder showing he can score some goals. What will they do with Brunner? Not sure any NHL team is looking to take his entire salary back without giving up a player that the Devils don't need. Europe?