2015 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

While I love Seversen's game, I think the talk about how great the young D is entirely blown out of proportion. I still don'the put much stock in Adam's game. Gelinas is a one trick pony,and Merrill is a huge question mark. I am most curious to see what Santini Plans to do. So that being said, I probably wouldn't freak if they took Hanafin. Definitely a tough call. The x factor would be Lou's plans for the remaining assets and what deals he can broker with them for forward(s).

What are people's thoughts on Rantanen? By all accounts he sounds like the very thing we need: fast, skilled, big center with good offensive instincts.

he's intriguing, certainly hard to gauge cause he's playing against men. After the 4th pick it seems its really all over the place. Hopefully it's cause all those guys are really good lol

I'm going to see Timo Meier play tnight, he's a right winger who's projected around 10-12. 

Also gonna watch Conor Garland who's projected late 3rd, he's awesome.

i guess realistically we're gonna end up with one of Marner, Rantanen, Barzal or Zacha (hopefully not Crouse). From one report to another those guys are all over the place, which could be good or could be bad really and I wish I could say that I totally trust our scouting department to make the right pick out of them and really see the top potential. But i truly don't. Not for a forward anyway. And to be fair, why should I trust them based on their track record of the last 10+ years

Edited by SterioDesign

i guess realistically we're gonna end up with one of Marner, Rantanen, Barzal or Zacha (hopefully not Crouse). From one report to another those guys are all over the place, which could be good or could be bad really and I wish I could say that I totally trust our scouting department to make the right pick out of them and really see the top potential. But i truly don't. Not for a forward anyway. And to be fair, why should I trust them based on their track record of the last 10+ years

yea basically all we need is for a team in front of us to take Hanifin, that will guarantee NJ the shot at one of Marner or Rantanen.  Beyond those two I really do see a lot of question marks, even with Barzal.  I would be much more comfortable with Marner

Conor McDavid is Malcom Gladwell's research coming to fruition, whilst Marner is the antithesis of his findings. 

Obviously, if we had the first pick, you take McDavid, but I would be tempted to draft Marner even with the number 2 pick. I suspect he will grow more, and MacIssac had some good info on his family saying his father is 6'3. 

If he is gone, I put a big package together including the 6th, Merrill, the Panther's 2nd round pick, and Boucher. I call the Leafs and go, look, I will take Kessel's contract in full, but I want Nylander too. Triumph and a few others have continually brought up the fact that we don't have a center to play with Kessel. If we get Nylander that problem is no longer apparent. 

Cammy Zajac/Nylander Kessel

Henrique Zajac/Nylander Frolik

Elias Gomez Bernier 

Ruutu Jo Matteau

Eh, Barzal, Rantanen and Marner may all be available when it's our turn, however, for better or worse,  I think Lou goes with Crouse because of his physical play.

Not sure about this. Devils have a Crouse in Matteau (albeit a poor man's version), but they have absolutely nothing like Barzal. A fast, extremely skilled center, with high hockey IQ

Not sure about this. Devils have a Crouse in Matteau (albeit a poor man's version), but they have absolutely nothing like Barzal. A fast, extremely skilled center, with high hockey IQ

We are talking about Lou though who probably believes he can win a cup with a bunch of Matteaus and Clarksons.

Which is exactly why Lou won't draft him. He prefers tough, physical role player types and guys with high motors over anything else. That's always been his way and that won't change.