2015 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

I agree that this rebuild shouldn't take on year but who's to say we'll be picking top 6 next year? Besides whoever we draft will more than likely be a year or two away from making the team anyway. IMO now is our chance to get a 1c and we shouldn't pass up on that.

This year it should be just about grabbing the best forward available, given Hanifin doesn't fall to 6. Without any changes this team could look to be very weak next year, so the concept of adding Auston Matthews or Jesse Puljujarvi from the 2016 Draft to whoever we draft this season is quite tempting.

Just say we get one of Marner or Barzal, adding say Puljujarvi to that would set us up incredibly well for the future.

Edited by CommonDreads

So if Hanafin does end up dropping to us, who would become the most expendable. I mean I agree it would be hard to pass up on him but we kind of really need this 6th OA to turn into a high end forward prospect. Does that mean we draft Hanafin and trade one of Larsson or Severson? I mean I would love for our defense to consist of all of them but we can't just blow this opportunity to get a potential 1C. For example would anyone here draft Hanafin and then trade Larsson or Severson straight up for Leon Draisaitl?

Or do we try to trade down a spot or two and hope Philly or Columbus takes him so we can draft our center and gain a tiny asset?

I don't see how he makes it to 6th though.

I guess it depends on who is still on the board. If Marner, Barzal and Strome are 3,4 & 5, I would rather just take the closest one to being a sure thing in the draft and grab Hanifin. Nashville could turn around and trade Seth Jones in a second for a top forward if they wanted.

Crouse is a LW that has done absolutely nothing every time I've watched him. Never seen Ratanen but he's a RW from what I understand and Zacha is a little more of a wildcard than what I would want at 6. I don't really see any as the sure fire C we're looking for. Now if Crouse is the reason Hannifin drops to 6, I would probably go with Barzal based on need.

Flyers seem like they are set to take a forward as well so if we drop down any for that extra asset, one more of those forwards is probably off the board.

As much as this organization needs forwards, you don't pass on Hanifin if he's there. You just don't. You run to the podium and pick Hanifin if he's still on the board.

i dont know some scouts are not that high on him and says he has holes in his game. Some even say he's not even the best Dman in this year's draft. quite weird.

Plus when we got Larsson at the moment it was the steal of the draft, he was oozing skills etc etc etc and yet, sure he's gonna be a good NHLer but he wont be a franchise dman or anything. Plus they take longer to develop.

and then think back when we drafted Larsson... how crazy would it be for someone to suggest trading down and getting Hamilton instead? a BUNCH of people would have said it was crazy talk... But few years later... Hamilton + a pick or prospect or wtv for Larsson? i'd take that for sure. You just never know with Dmen

I think if Hanifin is there at six, there is a good chance the Devils could trade down and reap a pretty good return as there most likely will be plenty of suitors. The question is how far down would the Devils have to drop? If Columbus for example wants to bust a move for Hanifin, I think it might make a whole lot of sense to trade down - assuming a top-ranked forward that the Devils covet is not there for the taking.

This year it should be just about grabbing the best forward available, given Hanifin doesn't fall to 6. Without any changes this team could look to be very weak next year, so the concept of adding Auston Matthews or Jesse Puljujarvi from the 2016 Draft to whoever we draft this season is quite tempting.

Just say we get one of Marner or Barzal, adding say Puljujarvi to that would set us up incredibly well for the future.

I know it's early, but Matthews and Puljujarvi are projected to go 1 and 2, right? I don't know if I can see our team being any worse than last season, but if we let the UFAs walk (maybe not Gomez), use a buyout or two, and fill all the holes with guys in the system, I'd be on board with another bad year if it meant one of Matthews or Puljujarvi. The Devils' future would start looking much better with one of those guys.

I know it's early, but Matthews and Puljujarvi are projected to go 1 and 2, right? I don't know if I can see our team being any worse than last season, but if we let the UFAs walk (maybe not Gomez), use a buyout or two, and fill all the holes with guys in the system, I'd be on board with another bad year if it meant one of Matthews or Puljujarvi. The Devils' future would start looking much better with one of those guys.

I agree that we won't be worse than this season but also keep in mind, next year the top 3 picks are all by lottery. No point having a buffalo like season when you could easily end up with #4.

I agree that we won't be worse than this season but also keep in mind, next year the top 3 picks are all by lottery. No point having a buffalo like season when you could easily end up with #4.

Oh true, I forgot about that. In that case, let's hope that we get lucky next season!

If Hanifin were there at 6, I would think we could turn around and send Merrill + a lower pick if necessary to the Oilers for #16 and still grab a really good forward.

That's a good idea! Hanifin should be NHL ready, and on a similar level to Merrill, despite being 5 years younger. Edmonton is most likely looking for a defenceman with #16, but it could be a reach taking a defenceman at that position. Instead they get a young top-4 LHD, who can step in right away. Throw in Reece Scarlett, he's a project but an Edmonton native that could become a Petry-lite for them in a couple years, and a 3rd or 4th. Really try to avoid trading them a second, but we may have to.

At the #16 range, you're looking a guys like Konecny, Harkins, Merkley, a faller, maybe Kyle Connor. 

I've seen that Sens fans really like Konecny as he's an Ottawa kid, and played junior there. Maybe even drop down again, and pick up a small ransom. Something like #16 for #18, #42/48, and Chaisson. Chaisson gives us a guy that can maybe be a second line RW, which is a hole we have for next season.

Edited by Jerseydevils0324

I'm not saying we should do it but as soon Draisaitl is in the mix, if I'm the Oilers I'm asking for Larsson or Severson.  That is a major core piece for Edmonton. 

On the other hand, at 16, I feel like they are going to go after the best d-man available.  Given the years of rebuilding and the fact that they've already drafted players they hope will grow into their top line D, why not trade for a guy like Merril who they can plug into their second pairing on opening night?  They're at a point where they need to start winning this fall, not in 2 or 3 years when the pick at 16 is ready to start contributing.        

Edited by Lateralous

At #6, I'm fine with whichever of Marner/Hanifin/Barzal/Strome is left at 6. I'm leaning towards a forward for obvious reasons but Hanifin would be too good to pass up and I kind of feel the same way about Provorov if we actually needed a D. Given that one of the other 4 has to be available at 6, I would be a little disappointed if we ended up with Provorov.

3 Players I would like to see the Devils target with our two second round picks if they are still available are:

1. Filip Chlapik - C for Charlottetown - not sure he'll be around since I see him going in the late 1st in many mock drafts

2. Zach Senyshyn - RW for SS Marie - young guy who scored a lot of goals in limited ice time for SS Marie. Scored two goals for the Greyhounds at one of the games I saw in Erie in early February. Has good size too. I could see him breaking out big time next year when many of the older Greyhounds move on.

3. Anthony Beauvillier - C for Shawinigan - smart and skilled high scoring center who is just undersized.

One player I've admittedly never seen play but am intrigued by the write ups on if we insist on taking our annual second round defenseman is Jacob Larsson. Everything I've seen is that he has all the skills to be good in both zones but as the Hockey News puts it "is as weak as a noodle right now." Strength can obviously be addressed and who knows if he's even naturally filled out yet. He has a pretty late birth date.

I'm talking up a scenario to myself where Devils draft Hanifin and trade Merrill+Gelinas for Draisaitl. 

Id be surprised if the Oil would take both for him. Gelinas + a 2nd this year and a pick in 16 would prob get that done tho. And Id do it for Draisaitl immediately.

If Hanifin is there I cannot see the Devils passing on him.

Drasaitl is worth much more than Gelinas and a 2nd. Oilers would ask for Larsson or Severson or the #6 pick.

Button's Final Draft Rankings

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/craig-s-list-final-ranking-1.294692

Hanifin at 12 ?!?

I've always found Button's Rankings to be a bit all over the place at times (I remember Vlad Kamenev last year finishing somewhere around 18 in his rankings, didn't go until #42 at the draft), and no one really calls him on it just because he's a TSN guy. The consensus among pretty much every scout though is Hanifin is the 3rd best prospect in this draft.

I've always found Button's Rankings to be a bit all over the place at times (I remember Vlad Kamenev last year finishing somewhere around 18 in his rankings, didn't go until #42 at the draft), and no one really calls him on it just because he's a TSN guy. The consensus among pretty much every scout though is Hanifin is the 3rd best prospect in this draft.

Kylington at 47 seems a bit contrarian.

An interesting player that I've read a little about is Joel Eriksson Ek, who Button has as 13.  Anyone here have any tidbits?

Kylington at 47 seems a bit contrarian.

An interesting player that I've read a little about is Joel Eriksson Ek, who Button has as 13.  Anyone here have any tidbits?

One of the players I've seen play less than most others honestly, but from what I've been able to gather he's a big time goal scorer. Numbers weren't as great when playing in the SHL this season (4-2-6 in 34 GP), but he tore up Sweden's junior league with 21 goals and 32 points in 25 games played, which is pretty impressive. I've been seeing him shoot up a lot of rankings so he could end up being a late-1st Rounder at this rate.

Edited by CommonDreads

Button's Final Draft Rankings

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/craig-s-list-final-ranking-1.294692

Hanifin at 12 ?!?

I've never been a fan of Button's rankings. I've mentioned this before, but in 2011 when he said that Larsson was going to fall to Ottawa at #6 even though the Devils were big on him I got the feeling he just tries to invent his own narrative.

I've never been a fan of Button's rankings. I've mentioned this before, but in 2011 when he said that Larsson was going to fall to Ottawa at #6 even though the Devils were big on him I got the feeling he just tries to invent his own narrative.

That's not a bad call. Larsson's stock was dropping, and he might have had good info that team's 1-3, and 5 were not interested. The Devils own scouts didn't even know who Lou and Conte were ready to draft that year, so it's almost impossible for anyone to have an idea who the Devils are really high on.

After the fact, the Devils were absolutely giddy about drafting Larsson. Was there indication that NJ was taking him at 4 if available before the draft?

Anyway, rankings and mock drafts based on what you think will happen are a little different. Not saying he is very good at either these things, though.

Edited by devilsrule33

That's not a bad call. Larsson's stock was dropping, and he might have had good info that team's 1-3, and 5 were not interested. The Devils own scouts didn't even know who Lou and Conte were ready to draft that year, so it's almost impossible for anyone to have an idea who the Devils are really high on.

After the fact, the Devils were absolutely giddy about drafting Larsson. Was there indication that NJ was taking him at 4 if available before the draft?

Anyway, rankings and mock drafts based on what you think will happen are a little different. Not saying he is very good at either these things, though.

My recollection was that there was some talk that the Devils would draft Zbinejad, but I don't recall whether that assumed Larsson was gone. Other than that, I think people expected that the Devils would pick Larsson if he were available.

As an FYI, Pronman, who's pretty sharp, had Larsson ranked lower than most. I seem to recall in about the same spot that Button ranked him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk