2015 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

If Zacha is the guy they like at 6th Overall come June 26th, I whole-heartedly believe in that pick. His numbers were held back a bit by some external factors (bad team, injuries, and 1st NA season), but when you watch him play he has all the tools to be a very good offensive player in the NHL. When he's at his best, he has some flashes of Kovalchuk to his game, big strong forward with a laser of a shot and a fantastic one-timer, NHL-ready size too. This video is exactly what it is, just highlights of his game, but here's some flashes of what Zacha is when he's at his best (excuse the rancid music :P ):

Edited by CommonDreads

I like his skillset but he doesn't produce much better than Crouse and isn't being labeled as an elite defensive player.

Still want Barzal

I agree that assuming the Big 5 are gone (McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Marner, and Strome), Barzal would be my top choice. It's really just a matter of what type of player you'd rather have, a speedy playmaker (Barzal) or a strong goal scorer (Zacha).

Also just for the sake of conversation, I wrote up that Community Mock Draft I mentioned a couple pages ago on my blog, if anyone is interested in checking it out:

http://nhldraftboard.sportsblog.com/posts/2599992/2015-community-mock-draft.html

Devils Picks:

6th: C Mathew Barzal

36th: LW Paul Bittner

41st: C Thomas Novak

67th: RW Jens Looke

Since we're showing highlights

Really I love the skill sets of every player in our area, Barzal seems like a future Matt Duchene-type player which is mighty tempting to me. Even Lawson Crouse I absolutely love, see him likely developing into a Gabe Landeskog-type power forward.

Also just for the sake of conversation, I wrote up that Community Mock Draft I mentioned a couple pages ago on my blog, if anyone is interested in checking it out:

http://nhldraftboard.sportsblog.com/posts/2599992/2015-community-mock-draft.html

Devils Picks:

6th: C Mathew Barzal

36th: LW Paul Bittner

41st: C Thomas Novak

67th: RW Jens Looke

I think Bittner is likely to be a pretty bad pick. I'd rather try to nab Rasmus Andersson with the 41st.

Been watching some Lawson Crouse highlights and interviews. He's starting to really grow on me, just wish he was a center or right wing.

Been watching some Lawson Crouse highlights and interviews. He's starting to really grow on me, just wish he was a center or right wing.

I really hope Marner somehow falls. That would be great. Maybe his size will scare away a few teams. Im not afraid of it because the kid has world class talent and also a Mr. Patrick Kane was around the same size his draft year.

Give me a percentage how likely he'd fall to us

I kind of have this feeling that the player that will end up falling out of the top five will be Strome. Seems like he has less upside than a team picking in the top five would want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No chance. He'll go to Toronto or Carolina if Arizona/Quebec/Seattle/Kansas City/Portland doesn't take him 3rd.

No chance. He'll go to Toronto or Carolina if Arizona/Quebec/Seattle/Kansas City/Portland doesn't take him 3rd.

Hanifin, Marner, Provorov and maybe even Crouse could plausibly be taken before him.  The fact Strome played with McDavid might also give one of those teams enough doubts to go with someone else.  Then there's also the "too big" factor in that he put up gaudy numbers because he was bigger than his competition he was facing in junior, which won't be the case in the NHL. 

I think either Marner or Hanifin will drop to us.

I welcome both with open arms.

I hate the idea of drafting another defenseman. But Hanifin I think is too good to pass up. If that's the case, maybe Shero packages the two second round picks and something else to move into the first round to grab a forward people like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking Hanifin allows you to consider moving perhaps even Santini in a trade. Hanifin probably isn't going to be considered for NHL duty for at least a year if not two so trading one of our current D does us no good now or down the road when we expect to compete and have experienced solid group back there.

I'd prefer to hold onto Severson and Larsson unless I'm getting a premium young talent in return.

I think Provorov could be a dark horse option for us. Shero likes a D that is quick and aggressive up the ice and Provorov fits that mold. He also is fairly solid too defensively for a guy that's put up good offense from the back end. He may not be in Hanifins class defensively but he's no slouch at all.