2015 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

You can only blame Conte so much. It isn't like he went off the draft board and selected people who had no business being drafted in the first round. Teddy, Jo, Matteau, and Quenville were all supposed to go within that range.

I blame him in recent years to the extent that he appears to be obssessed with looking for Dainus Zubrus with his forward selections rather than focusing more on skill and players that can score.  Maybe it was the experience with Tedenby that spooked him. 

This draft could confirm my suspicions if the Devils end up taking Lawson Crouse, or perhaps passing on Mitch Marner for whoever if he's available (assuming Hanifin is not there either). 

They should divide the scouting up into 3 parts: defensive, offensive, and goal tending. Relegate Conte to head of the defensive department and bring in or relegate others to the other head positions. They all report to Shero. Then have the analytic team come up with their own draft rankings. Shero gets that too. 

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I blame him in recent years to the extent that he appears to be obssessed with looking for Dainus Zubrus with his forward selections rather than focusing more on skill and players that can score.  Maybe it was the experience with Tedenby that spooked him. 

This draft could confirm my suspicions if the Devils end up taking Lawson Crouse, or perhaps passing on Mitch Marner for whoever if he's available (assuming Hanifin is not there either). 

We really got f'd on the whole Tedenby thing. He was ranked above Erik Karlsson (!) and Roman Josi that season. Granted, those are both defenseman. At the time it looked like we hit the jackpot. I recall not many thinking that Tedenby would fall that far. Oh well.

Matteau is a good pick, he is going to be in the NHL for a long time.

I assume that is who you are referring to because no one else the Devils have drafted has a Zubrus like build or skill set. 

Right now you can make the case that the Devils potentially drafted the two best players following pick 28.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html

Edited by William D'Aquila

Matteau is a good pick, he is going to be in the NHL for a long time.

I assume that is who you are referring to because no one else the Devils have drafted has a Zubrus like build or skill set.

Right now you can make the case that the Devils potentially drafted the two best players following pick 28.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html

I'm not referring to Matteau specifically, except as evidence of what Conte has been prioritizing recently. Not to mention that 2012 might go down as one of the more disappointing drafts in recent memory.

I'm upset about picks like Connor Chatham over Brayden Point, Kujawinski over anyone else, and wasting draft picks on goons like Thomson and someone last year whose name escapes me right now . (I'm willing to look past drafting A. Brodeur). And when you listen or read recent interviews with him, he definitely seems to overvalue size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not referring to Matteau specifically, except as evidence of what Conte has been prioritizing recently. Not to mention that 2012 might go down as one of the more disappointing drafts in recent memory.

I'm upset about picks like Connor Chatham over Brayden Point, Kujawinski over anyone else, and wasting draft picks on goons like Thomson and someone last year whose name escapes me right now . (I'm willing to look past drafting A. Brodeur). And when you listen or read recent interviews with him, he definitely seems to overvalue size.

Conte's drafting history does not indicate he values size. teddy, gio, mccauley, scarlett et cetera.

Kujawinski is going to be on the roster by next year. 

Edited by William D'Aquila

Conte's drafting history does not indicate he values size. teddy, gio, mccauley, scarlett et cetera.

Kujawinski is going to be on the roster by next year.

Besides Scarlett, you are referring to draft picks from seven years ago at the most recent. If you actually listen to what he says and follow what he's done since 2008, it's obvious that he has recently developed a fetish for big forwards at the expense of skill. His mentioning of Crouse in the next sentence after discussing the elite scoring forwards is an indication that he still thinks he can land the elusive Milan Lucic type player.

And Kujawinski being on the roster next year is the equivalent of bragging about being the valedictorian of summer school if it even happens.

Edited by Daniel

I'd be disappointed if Conte picked Crouse over Marner/Strome (if available), but it's not the end of the world. He's expected to be a top 6 fw. I've only recently heard knocks on Strome (Matt Barnaby) thinking he's not going to be what everyone thinks he'll be. Everyone singing Hanifin's praises comparing him Duncan Keith (Hanifins easily best skater in the draft (Neids-esque).

From Conte's recent comments, sounds like Shero might pick the "direction" pick will go. I can't wait til next Friday, then all this speculation will change to pissing/moaning about the one that got away. (said in my best T. Waits vocals)

The thing with Shero is he had Crosby and Malkin when he was with the Pens. Finding a top center was the furthest thing on his mind. Finding the Devils a top center should be his priority, however. If the Devils front office truly believe the Pens have the winning formula in today's NHL then finding a center should be at the top of the list.

IMO, from what I've been reading about him, Barzal should be a faster and more defensively responsible prime Gomez. 

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I still think BPA is subjective. Someone said that after the top 5 in this year's draft, the next 5-10 players are "jelly bean picks" (I believe that was the term) meaning you could trow up a bunch of jelly beans and pick one and you'll be happy. Unless one of the big 5 drop to us we should draft for positional need. My opinion of course. There's just no way of having a clear cut BPA with the players who will be available where we are picking.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I still think BPA is subjective. Someone said that after the top 5 in this year's draft, the next 5-10 players are "jelly bean picks" (I believe that was the term) meaning you could trow up a bunch of jelly beans and pick one and you'll be happy. Unless one of the big 5 drop to us we should draft for positional need. My opinion of course. There's just no way of having a clear cut BPA with the players who will be available where we are picking.

That's why we should be trading back.  Let the other teams obsess over drafting a positional need, I'd rather have more picks.  We very well may still get the guy we rated slightly highest because they are so close.

That's why we should be trading back. Let the other teams obsess over drafting a positional need, I'd rather have more picks. We very well may still get the guy we rated slightly highest because they are so close.

I'm open to trading back a couple of spots but I wouldn't go too far. I don't think Philly or Columbus will take a center so going back to 8 wouldn't bother me. You'd think San Jose and Colorado are set on centers too but you never know at that point. Too much of a risk we miss out completely on someone we want.

Really I'd rather try to trade up a spot with Carolina.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I'm not sure it is. If Hanifin is on the board, the Devils have to take him, as long as Marner is gone.

Any of Strome, Marner or Hanifin would be amazing to be honest. People are ******* on Strome because of the OHL playoffs where he was still PPG. Citing BS like his compete level as a reason why he might fall. His skating is a supposed weakness but guys like Tavares and Spezza improved their skating. In fact, in the Big Black Book, a scout noted that Strome's skating is ahead of where Spezza was in his draft year

I'm not sure it is. If Hanifin is on the board, the Devils have to take him, as long as Marner is gone.

Well I meant it's subjective pertaining to where we're picking. At this point I think it's clear there's a top 5 in the draft. We I'd say there's a top 2, then a next tier with Strome, Marner, and Hanifin, and then the next tier has a good 5-8 people (Barzal, Zacha, Rantannen, Provorov, Werenski, Crouse, Connor, and Mier).

If one of the Strome, Marner, or Hanifin drop I'd be more than happy taking them. I've warmed up to the idea of taking Hanifin and just having a bad ass defense for years.

Conte spoke extremely highly of Hanifin and even hinted they saw Provorov and Werenski as not far behind. They've hinted that if there is a defenseman highly rated they will take him especially if the separation from the forward they might like is great enough.

Don't be stunned if we take a defenseman if guys like Marner or Strome are indeed off the board and there isn't a good trade down to be made or that makes sense to do so. If Hanifin is what you think he is, you take him and adjust accordingly.