2015 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

just read a few articles.

obviously McDavid and Eichel are gone. If the Coyotes are keeping their pick they are expected to take Dylan Strome 3rd. 

Well basically i really think its gonna be McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Hanifin and Marner gone by the time we pick. Then that's where i could start worrying... who's next? seems like Zacha and Barzal are all over the place. I dont want Crouse... there's Provorov...

id actually be excited if we pick Meier cause i could watch him play juniors all season and i think he's gonna be really really good. If we could trade down and get him i'd be fine say we get something decent extra.

if the first 5 are as you predict, i would almost guarantee the devils trade back so someone can grab Provorov.

You're not likely to get Rychel to move back 2 spots, Rychel was a 1st round pick in 2013 and hasn't done anything so far that would make that selection look bad.

Of course Rychel like everyone else in this league is a left wing so I'm not really interested in him either.

So what exactly is wrong with Crouse? Is he not skilled enough? Is he the prototypical "Devils player" we need to shy away from? Or something else?

His ceiling isn't as high as the other players. Most fans are looking for the home run gamebreaker. It won't be him. 

There's a lot to like, though.

His ceiling isn't as high as the other players. Most fans are looking for the home run gamebreaker. It won't be him. 

There's a lot to like, though.

There are some pieces I've read that says he has upside similar to Rick Nash, who, for a number 1 pick overall that has produced a great deal at the NHL level didn't have most eye-popping offensive numbers in junior, although they were better than Crouse. 

You're not likely to get Rychel to move back 2 spots, Rychel was a 1st round pick in 2013 and hasn't done anything so far that would make that selection look bad.

Of course Rychel like everyone else in this league is a left wing so I'm not really interested in him either.

If Hanifin somehow falls to six, then it's pretty clear that Columbus would make the deal since that's who they're targetting right now.  I suppose giving  up Rychel to move up two spots doesn't look good, but ultimately it shouldn't matter where they get their man relative to what they're prepared to give up. 

Might be a different story with Provorov.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/06/25/2015-NHL-mock-draft-first-round-connor-mcdavid-jack-eichel

new jersey devils
pavel zacha, c
sarnia (OHL) | 6-3, 214
16-18-34 in 37 games
Zacha is a big, powerful center who always wants the puck. When he gets it, he drives the net, using his size and speed to get into scoring position. And that’s the knock on him. He can become a dangerous goal scorer but the aptitude to be a playmaker isn’t there. That may change over time but until it does he looks more like a winger than a pivot.

• SCOUTS SAY: “Excellent one-on-one player. Very strong on his feet. Good quickness. Loves to challenge the defense. Needs improvement in his own zone. Had some on-ice discipline issues this year. Hopefully he has that figured out

Edited by eaglejelly

I may be wrong but this seems like the most up-in-the-air Top-10 in a long time. Almost anything can happen in the top 3-6, maybe 3-10. Our guess is as good as anyone's. This is going to be a highly entertaining draft.

Edited by DJ Eco

quick funny story, i just woke from a dream like an hour ago where i dreamt that Strome and Marner were both available at #6 and i remember i was still VERY nervous NJ was gonna mess it up

Dude I trust it. In 2012 I dreamt the night before game 5 against the Rangers that the Devils took a 3-0 lead in the 1st and the Rangers tied it. I also dreamt that Larsson was gonna score game two against the Flyers. I've probably told that story a hundred times here. My medium abilities have since gone dry, maybe you got them. Marner or Strome it is.

Dude I trust it. In 2012 I dreamt the night before game 5 against the Rangers that the Devils took a 3-0 lead in the 1st and the Rangers tied it. I also dreamt that Larsson was gonna score game two against the Flyers. I've probably told that story a hundred times here. My medium abilities have since gone dry, maybe you got them. Marner or Strome it is.

haha nice, good stuff. then we shall wait and see!!!

Why is everyone so high on Barzal? I mean, people are talking about Zacha and how his stats aren't impressive, but I don't think Barzal's stats are impressive at all... I feel like Zacha is a better offensive threat than Barzal, which is what we need. Plus he is bigger. From what I've read and know about him, Barzal seems like a Henrique type of player. Am I right?

Edited by Devs3cups

Why is everyone so high on Barzal? I mean, people are talking about Zacha and how his stats aren't impressive, but I don't think Barzal's stats are impressive at all... I feel like Zacha is a better offensive threat than Barzal, which is what we need. Plus he is bigger. From what I've read and know about him, Barzal seems like a Henrique type of player. Am I right?

Barzal is a pure play making center, Henrique is certainly not that.

To me Barzal seems like a faster and more defensively responsible prime Gomez. I guess it depends on what kind of center you want, a playmaker or a scorer. To me the playmaker is better because he makes his line mates better. Our best offensive days were with Gomez at center and Mogilny on the wing. I'd like a somewhat updated version of that.

Plus Barzals injury really made his stock drop. On the early rankings last year Barzal was ranked 3rd best prospect right behind McDavid and Eichel. He also plays on a team with much less talent than most of the top ten this year.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I think just comparing him to Henrique is a little unfair. He's worthy of being taken in the top portion of this draft and if we do end up with him don't be dismayed. He's very responsible defensively as well. He's a little more complete than Zacha. Zacha though has more potential for being the the more dominating type of threat with his scoring touch. Zacha provides more reward potential IMO. I like Barzal, but I do not think he's worth the #6 pick in this draft considering what else may be on the board, including Zacha. 

At any rate, there's huge buzz that Boston may be trading Dougie Hamilton to Arizona for the #3. I would imagine Hanifin is a lock there if that happens considering the BU ties and the fact they just gave up Hamilton to get there. If that was to occur, Marner/Strome/Provorov to Toronto, Carolina becomes the key here. They could very easily take Provorov (or trade out to someone who does) and we end up with Marner or Strome. Strome is not a lock to be off the board at 6. I actually think hes more likely to fall than Marner now considering the buzz about Toronto/Marner is getting louder and louder. We obviously take Strome if hes there. 

I think just comparing him to Henrique is a little unfair. He's worthy of being taken in the top portion of this draft and if we do end up with him don't be dismayed. He's very responsible defensively as well. He's a little more complete than Zacha. Zacha though has more potential for being the the more dominating type of threat with his scoring touch. Zacha provides more reward potential IMO. I like Barzal, but I do not think he's worth the #6 pick in this draft considering what else may be on the board, including Zacha.

At any rate, there's huge buzz that Boston may be trading Dougie Hamilton to Arizona for the #3. I would imagine Hanifin is a lock there if that happens considering the BU ties and the fact they just gave up Hamilton to get there. If that was to occur, Marner/Strome/Provorov to Toronto, Carolina becomes the key here. They could very easily take Provorov (or trade out to someone who does) and we end up with Marner or Strome. Strome is not a lock to be off the board at 6. I actually think hes more likely to fall than Marner now considering the buzz about Toronto/Marner is getting louder and louder. We obviously take Strome if hes there.

Yeah, it was only from what I've briefly heard about him. To be honest I did my researche and the other top prospects since I believed they had more upside. But I agree with your point on Zacha. I actually like him a lot and think he will become a very solid player for us. But who shouldn't become a solid player with the 6th pick? We just have to wait and see. Edited by Devs3cups

Yeah, it was only from what I've briefly heard about him. To be honest I did my researche and the other top prospects since I believed they had more upside. But I agree with your point on Zacha. I actually like him a lot and think he will become a very solid player for us. But who shouldn't become a solid player with the 6th pick? We just have to wait and see.

2012- H Lindholm

2011- Zibanejad

2010- Brett Connolly

2009- Ekman-Larsson

2008- Filatov

2007- Gagner

2006- Brassard

2005- Gilbert Brule

A bit of a mixed bag. I like our chances to get a good player, but it isnt a sure thing

2012- H Lindholm

2011- Zibanejad

2010- Brett Connolly

2009- Ekman-Larsson

2008- Filatov

2007- Gagner

2006- Brassard

2005- Gilbert Brule

A bit of a mixed bag. I like our chances to get a good player, but it isnt a sure thing

the forward we'll get we'll likely be our best forward in 2-3 years no matter what.

2012- H Lindholm

2011- Zibanejad

2010- Brett Connolly

2009- Ekman-Larsson

2008- Filatov

2007- Gagner

2006- Brassard

2005- Gilbert Brule

From what we've heard, this draft is the deepest in a while, so I like our chances.