2015 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

There is a lot of comedy in this thread. 

Sure is. I was apparently annoyed at drafting Blackwood, but intrigued by Blake Speers and Colton White. This is why I’m not a GM. 🤣

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I didn't even pick up on that. I need to go back through. 

I was having a look at the 2014 thread as well. That was a shot show. A lot of posters were keen on Conor Bleackley , who went at 23 in the end, guy has currently spent most of his career in the ECHL. 

Nessus was again spot on in 2014 picking up that Point and Pasternak should be top prioritys. 

Thanks for bumping this thread, always fun to see how early projections end up panning out. I think it's funny how I thought only slightly higher of Rantanen than Zacha, but both of them way higher than Crouse. Turns out Zacha is much closer to Crouse than Rantanen. I totally forgot how high I was on Barzal at the time.

I really do believe that scouts are so much better than most of these mock draft/draft rankings guys, but it was so painfully obvious that Point was a first round talent. I don't know what they all were thinking by skipping this guy. But I suppose if we took Point, we would never have had the pleasure of having ECHL grinder Connor Chatham in our system.

Anyway, when I apply to work for Castron's scouting staff, I hope you'll let me use you as a reference.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2015 at 10:59 AM, SterioDesign said:

as much as this would be a dream dcorp in front of Schneider... we'd still be a terrible terrible team cause we'd have NOTHING up front. absolutely nothing. We have probably one of the worst top 12 in the entire league.

Greene Larsson

Severson Merril

Gelinas Hanifin

Schneider

On 6/26/2015 at 12:47 PM, Devs3cups said:

Why is everyone so high on Barzal? I mean, people are talking about Zacha and how his stats aren't impressive, but I don't think Barzal's stats are impressive at all... I feel like Zacha is a better offensive threat than Barzal, which is what we need. Plus he is bigger. From what I've read and know about him, Barzal seems like a Henrique type of player. Am I right?

On 6/26/2015 at 7:58 PM, Muevelos said:

Nahhhh

On 6/26/2015 at 7:59 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

You can't take Barzal with the number six. Just can't do it.

Maybe they could've traded back but.. I like this pick.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 6/26/2015 at 8:01 PM, MadDog2020 said:

This is a fine pick. He was the best player on the board and it fills a (massive) need. People just bitch to bitch because they love to bitch.

On 6/26/2015 at 8:02 PM, fsu1852 said:

Yeah you cant take Barazl at 6

On 6/26/2015 at 8:03 PM, ghdi said:

Can't be mad about Zacha whatsoever. If they weren't trading back he was the guy to take. Barzal is a reach at 6. 

More fun posts from this thread. 

Laughing at our bad takes aside, how badly does Boston want that draft back?   They had the 13th, 14th and 15th picks in a row and went off the board a bit.   The next 3 picks after them were Barzal, Connor and Chabot.  They could have set themselves up for years if they just took the guys who were the census best available with those picks.   

• Like 2

I just wish this site existed in 1990.

”I can’t believe we took a goalie with a #20 OA pick. It’s one thing if he was the best goalie available, but Trevor Kidd was already taken. Instead, we draft a French-Canadian guy who you know is going to wind up playing in Montreal in a few years. We don’t even have room for a goalie with Burke and Terreri. Then the Bruins made us look stupid and took Smolinski right after us, and he’ll be the cornerstone of that team’s offense for 20 years and multiple Stanley Cups. Lamoriello should be fired immediately”. 

“Also, there’s speculation all over Twitter that we might change our jersey colors from red white and green to red white answer black. If this happens I am never buying another piece of merchandise and in burning down the arena. Fvck this team and fvck hockey”. 

“The only good news is next year Toronto will suck so bad that we will use their pick to draft Eric Lindros. But with our luck, Toronto will fvck that up and we’ll wind up doing something stupid like taking a defenseman 3rd overall”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

Laughing at our bad takes aside, how badly does Boston want that draft back?   They had the 13th, 14th and 15th picks in a row and went off the board a bit.   The next 3 picks after them were Barzal, Connor and Chabot.  They could have set themselves up for years if they just took the guys who were the census best available with those picks.   

I just hope we don’t look back at our 2020 draft similarly. With 3 top 20 picks and all. I don’t think we will though. The more I watch and hear about Mercer the more I think he’s going to be a stud. And I was actually a bit upset with that pick initially (I wanted them to take Perreault since he’s more of a sniper). Which was silly. The guys here and elsewhere that really know their stuff when it comes to prospects were all ecstatic with the Mercer pick. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I just wish this site existed in 1990.

”I can’t believe we took a goalie with a #20 OA pick. It’s one thing if he was the best goalie available, but Trevor Kidd was already taken. Instead, we draft a French-Canadian guy who you know is going to wind up playing in Montreal in a few years. We don’t even have room for a goalie with Burke and Terreri. Then the Bruins made us look stupid and took Smolinski right after us, and he’ll be the cornerstone of that team’s offense for 20 years and multiple Stanley Cups. Lamoriello should be fired immediately”. 

“Also, there’s speculation all over Twitter that we might change our jersey colors from red white and green to red white answer black. If this happens I am never buying another piece of merchandise and in burning down the arena. Fvck this team and fvck hockey”. 

“The only good news is next year Toronto will suck so bad that we will use their pick to draft Eric Lindros. But with our luck, Toronto will fvck that up and we’ll wind up doing something stupid like taking a defenseman 3rd overall”. 

Heh heh, re:  the first paragraph, not sure if you knew, but Lou purposely traded down because he didn’t think Kidd was all he was being built up to be, and was sure that the guy that he did want (Marty of course) would be be available later in the first round.

The only (very) minor blemish on that deal is that both of the players that the Devils chose with the second-round picks they received as part of that trade didn’t pan out.  The Devils sent a first-rounder and second-rounder to Calgary...from what I’ve read (could be wrong), Calgary hasn’t attempted a trade to move up in the first round since.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Heh heh, re:  the first paragraph, not sure if you knew, but Lou purposely traded down because he didn’t think Kidd was all he was being built up to be, and was sure that the guy that he did want (Marty of course) would be be available later in the first round.

The only (very) minor blemish on that deal is that both of the players that the Devils chose with second-round picks they received as part of that trade didn’t pan out.  The Devils sent a first-rounder and second-rounder to Calgary...from what I’ve read (could be wrong), Calgary hasn’t attempted a trade to move up in the first round since.

I can’t honestly say that anything that happens when you come away with the most important player in the history of your franchise is a “blemish”.  But being upset with the second round picks when you came away with Brodeur in the first round is definitely an NJDevs thing also. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I can’t honestly say that anything that happens when you come away with the most important player in the history of your franchise is a “blemish”.  But being upset with the second round picks when you came away with Brodeur in the first round is definitely an NJDevs thing also. 

I didn’t say that I was upset in the slightest, and I did refer to it as “very minor”.  If anything, imagine if the Devils managed to draft two useful NHLers with those picks (or if one of them turned out to be a little more than that)...that would’ve ranked as an even MORE brutal deal for the Flames, if that’s even possible.  The five-for-five swap (Doug Gilmour went to Leafs, with Gary Leeman coming back to the Flames) was another complete disaster for the Flames back in the early 90s.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I didn’t say that I was upset in the slightest, and I did refer to it as “very minor”.  If anything, imagine if the Devils managed to draft two useful NHLers with those picks (or if one of them turned out to be a little more than that)...that would’ve ranked as an even MORE brutal deal for the Flames, if that’s even possible.  The five-for-five swap (Doug Gilmour went to Leafs, with Gary Leeman coming back to the Flames) was another complete disaster for the Flames back in the early 90s.

You aren’t wrong. But if someone did make the argument I mentioned, it would be in keeping with how things are handled on this site. 

21 hours ago, nessus said:

Thanks for bumping this thread, always fun to see how early projections end up panning out. I think it's funny how I thought only slightly higher of Rantanen than Zacha, but both of them way higher than Crouse. Turns out Zacha is much closer to Crouse than Rantanen. I totally forgot how high I was on Barzal at the time.

I really do believe that scouts are so much better than most of these mock draft/draft rankings guys, but it was so painfully obvious that Point was a first round talent. I don't know what they all were thinking by skipping this guy. But I suppose if we took Point, we would never have had the pleasure of having ECHL grinder Connor Chatham in our system.

Anyway, when I apply to work for Castron's scouting staff, I hope you'll let me use you as a reference.

100% , if you could start working on the 2021 draft now please , then we can send this thread and your suggestions to Fitz and the Devil's scouting team and make sure we get some quality going forward. 

• Like 1