2015 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

I don't agree. I think someone will pay a 2nd rounder for Jagr and Zid. Someone will need help with a PP and think "if we just pair this guy with a good stay at home D, he'll be exactly what we need". 

Ryder a 4th - they will say he just needs better line mates. I think that's true too. Someone who needs offense will take a flyer. 

If Gomez keeps playing well, I wonder if we can get a 3rd or 4th :)

If we can go into the draft with 

1 pick in the first, 3 in the second, 2 in the 3rd - I'll be happy.

we might get a second round pick if we package all of those guys together.

Not beyond the realm of possibility that we can get a late first round pick for Jagr.  It could be some kind of conditional trade to a team like Tampa (that has two first rounders) where it starts with a second round pick, but becomes a first if they make it to the conference finals. 

Ryder could maybe land a 4th round pick, Zidlicky maybe a third, Havlat a fifth.   Gomez some kind of conditional pick, Bernier and Zubrus basically nothing. 

If we we're to believe that the league really gave Crosby to the Pens on purpose "behind closed doors" 

I certainly hope they wouldnt let the Oilers win the lottery and get McDavid. They got their chances and only proved that they can't manage a team. It would be straight up unfair to let them have McDavid on top of that

Not beyond the realm of possibility that we can get a late first round pick for Jagr. It could be some kind of conditional trade to a team like Tampa (that has two first rounders) where it starts with a second round pick, but becomes a first if they make it to the conference finals.

Ryder could maybe land a 4th round pick, Zidlicky maybe a third, Havlat a fifth. Gomez some kind of conditional pick, Bernier and Zubrus basically nothing.

Nobody is paying a 1st for Jagr.

Some recent rankings ahead of the WJC:

Hockey Prospect's Top 30 (December)
Future Consideration's Top 30 (December)
Corey Pronman's Top 30 (November)* ESPN Insider
ISS Top 30 (December)
Craig's List Top 100 (December)

McKeen's Hockey Top 30 (November)

For sortable stats, the Elite Prospects 2015 Draft Center.

If we we're to believe that the league really gave Crosby to the Pens on purpose "behind closed doors" 

I certainly hope they wouldnt let the Oilers win the lottery and get McDavid. They got their chances and only proved that they can't manage a team. It would be straight up unfair to let them have McDavid on top of that

But Bettman has to make up for the Pocklington Affair........

Some recent rankings ahead of the WJC:

Hockey Prospect's Top 30 (December)

Future Consideration's Top 30 (December)

Corey Pronman's Top 30 (November)* ESPN Insider

ISS Top 30 (December)

Craig's List Top 100 (December)

McKeen's Hockey Top 30 (November)

For sortable stats, the Elite Prospects 2015 Draft Center.

Thanks for this, fiesty. Looks like we could get a pretty good player if the Devils end up finishing in the bottom 10. 

Marner, Zacha, Rantanen, and Svechnikov (among some others) all seem have the talent that we've been looking for lately, and there's a good chance one of them falls to us, if rankings stay relatively consistent. Of course 3 of those guys happen to be European, so who knows whether any of them will be on Conte's radar.

I don't really get why Kylington has slipped in the rankings.

These rankings are always fluid up until the draft and even with the whole combine and workouts.

I know people saw when you draft you draft the best player available but if the devils draft in the top 5 or 10 they need to draft what they need and what they need is forwards.

Considering our needs this as good a year for things to align to draft a forward. Not only is there really good talent there is good depth and quite a few guys able to play C.

I don't really get why Kylington has slipped in the rankings. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it's due to a lack of viewings (relative to NA players) by the people that make the rankings. It will be interesting to see how he does at the WJC. I always enjoy reading his stats on your blog, nice to get some more context on him than traditional numbers.

Thanks for this, fiesty. Looks like we could get a pretty good player if the Devils end up finishing in the bottom 10. 

Marner, Zacha, Rantanen, and Svechnikov (among some others) all seem have the talent that we've been looking for lately, and there's a good chance one of them falls to us, if rankings stay relatively consistent. Of course 3 of those guys happen to be European, so who knows whether any of them will be on Conte's radar.

I haven't really had the chance to start forming opinions on guys but I do like the guys you mentioned.

Marner is a RW which fits a need, is a bit light at 164 lbs. but doesn't turn 18 until 5/5, already has 61 points in 32 games in his age 17 season. On top of that he was nearly a point per game player as a 16 year old, though I'm sure some of that may have to do with playing on London. Pronman called his skill level "truly elite" which is intriguing.

LW Pavel Zacha is another guy that doesn't turn 18 until the spring (4/6). Seems like he's consistently been ranked in the top 10 and has a nice frame at 6'3, 210 lbs. 19 points in 21 games to start his OHL career after doing well as a 16 year old in the Czech top flight. Another guy with "high-end skill" according to Pronman.

Rantanen seems to be another forward with nice size, 6'3, 194 lbs. Most of the rankings at the moment have him around the late teens. 1 goal, 9 assists in 30 SM-Liiga games and he's had a tase of the top flight since his age 16 season. He's not as intriguing to me as the others but certainly a guy to keep an eye on.

LW Svechnikov seems like another guy ranked towards the bottom of the 1st round right now. He also has nice size at 6'3, 205 lbs. Already has 30 points in 23 games in his first season in the QMJHL. About a point per game player in the MHL last year and got 3 KHL games in. Another guy that Pronman praised with "great offensive skill."

I wouldn't be surprised if it's due to a lack of viewings (relative to NA players) by the people that make the rankings. It will be interesting to see how he does at the WJC. I always enjoy reading his stats on your blog, nice to get some more context on him than traditional numbers.

Probably. Getting loaned to Allsvenskan was actually a real good thing for him, getting a lot more minutes (averaged 12 mins in SHL) and just playing more hockey. The competition is still decent.

Holy sh!t Jack Eichel will join the SeaDogs after the world championship in the Q !!!!

That's an hrs away from here and i could catch him play in Moncton, Bathurst and Halifax too. fvck yeah.

For sure he's playing 3 games in Moncton in the next 3 months so i'll be there for sure. Might make a few trips to St-John, Bathurst and Halifax too 

Edited by SterioDesign

I think Kylington has slipped because he was demoted from the SEL. 

Holy sh!t Jack Eichel will join the SeaDogs after the world championship in the Q !!!!

That's an hrs away from here and i could catch him play in Moncton, Bathurst and Halifax too. fvck yeah.

For sure he's playing 3 games in Moncton in the next 3 months so i'll be there for sure. Might make a few trips to St-John, Bathurst and Halifax too 

Why would he leave BU in the middle of the season when they are tied for first in Hockey East and having their best season since 2009? I dont think he has anything to gain in the Q compared to HE playoffs and probably the national tournament.

Why would he leave BU in the middle of the season when they are tied for first in Hockey East and having their best season since 2009? I dont think he has anything to gain in the Q compared to HE playoffs and probably the national tournament.

I dont know but St John are really strong and they'll probably have a shot at the Memorial Cup, thats pretty big too.

Charlie Coyle did the same thing and that way he'd play against most of the top players from his draft, especially McDavid at the memorial cup

Edited by SterioDesign

I haven't seen anything official on Eichel leaving BU. Seems like the rumors are just being rehashed with the break in semesters. Same thing with Demko. BU officials seem pretty confident that Eichel is staying.

Yeah it's weird cause the rumour took another step even. Saying that the CHL was trying to get him from St-John, which doesnt make sense cause it's not even the same league. But it was on sportsnet and we saw it on tv around here cause obviously the Sea Dogs are local so there's more insights... but god knows.

New Jersey should get either a franchise forward or a potential top line forward in this draft. The key will be getting an extra first or a couple second round picks to get some additional potential top 6 forwards.

Outside of the obvious picking higher could also mean that we could get an NHL ready prospect. I know it's a strong draft and all but im not sure which player outside of the top 2 would be ready to step in.... and obviously we have lots of holes that we need to patch with young talent.

and of course there's a difference between a guy being able to get a spot in NJ and a guy getting a spot in Chicago but you know. 

Edited by SterioDesign

New Jersey should get either a franchise forward or a potential top line forward in this draft. The key will be getting an extra first or a couple second round picks to get some additional potential top 6 forwards.

Would also be amazing if Lou could pull off some kind of trade getting a young prospect who's really good but buried under a deep NHL team at his position. Cause he'd be closer to be ready to step in than a late first round or a 2nd round pick.

Obviously getting a few 2nd would be amazing cause that's when you feel you can gamble and draft extra of what you need instead of doing a safe pick sometimes with your only 2nd.