2015 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

Say Lou decides to trade our first round pick to add a scoring top 6 forward. What do you guys think it could fetch? (that of course if we dont win the lottery)

Might get lucky and have a team where a young center will be buried behind older centers for a bit or that they are against the cap and want to flip an asset and can afford to add a young prospect and let go of another young player who wont have a chance for awhile or won't be able to afford him. Or a player that its not working out with the coach for some reason or god knows.

or better yet our first round pick + Gelinas + a 2nd. I think that could get us a pretty solid player if there would be any takers. And then we'd likely get a player with NHL experience who already showed what he could do in the NHL. Less of a gamble to hope a player picked 6th or 7th translate to the NHL.

i cannot think of a legitimate trade partner for the 6th pick. you'd want someone on the order of seguin, pavelski, taresenko, johansen or couture. I don't think any of those are being traded for the 6th pick and Gelinas.

yeah. well pavelski is 31 or will be this year so not sure id trade the 6th overall for him considering we want to get younger

that's a good point. but you get my gist - you need a sure thing 1st liner under contract to move this pick.

of course. Lou did say he knew some teams are gonna be tight with the cap and all. So he's certainly thinking he might be able to get a guy cheaper cause the team has less leverage, not saying its gonna happen but he's certainly gonna look into it. Thats how we got Schneider really

that's a good point. but you get my gist - you need a sure thing 1st liner under contract to move this pick.

TJ Oshie. Not saying I'd make that move necessarily, but I've been of the opinion that he could be one of the guys Lou could be targeting.

of course. Lou did say he knew some teams are gonna be tight with the cap and all. So he's certainly thinking he might be able to get a guy cheaper cause the team has less leverage, not saying its gonna happen but he's certainly gonna look into it. Thats how we got Schneider really

Also how the Islanders got good this off season

TJ Oshie. Not saying I'd make that move necessarily, but I've been of the opinion that he could be one of the guys Lou could be targeting.

Would be worth it just cause he obviously can score in SO lol i always loved him

i'm not saying don't trade for him, but #6 overall is way more valuable than TJ Oshie.

This. A million times this. While it might be worth it just to see Lauren Cosgrove on TV every night, TJ Oshie is NOT worth a top-10 pick in a strong draft.

Agreed 100%, I wouldn't move 6 for Oshie, and I hope Lou wouldn't either. But I wouldn't doubt Lou inquiring with St. Louis about what it may take to land him.

per Brendan Ross

Once again, Mitch Marner sits firmly atop #OHL scoring charts this time with 12P in 3 playoff games with no Dylan Strome in sight #NHLDraft

I recall reading somewhere that didn't immediately appear unreliable that if the Leafs don't win the lottery that they would be taking Marner if he was available.  I also recall though it was written at a time when the Leafs having the number 3 pick was much more remote than it is now, so I would probably say that they might take Hannifin over Marner. 

You just hope with Marner's gaudy numbers aren't much the product of playing alongside other great players, which was the case with Sam Gagner.  Not saying that Gagner couldn't have been a better player, but we really need to hit a homerun here. 

Not a knock on Marner but junior numbers are, well coming in games with ridiculous scorelines. 16 goals in a playoff game involving Marner's team. So when some guys put up huge scorelines that is only a small portion of what will actually translate to the NHL. Its no mystery that juniors in general is fairly loosey goosey.

Edited by Mayday

If Hanifin is the very BEST guy available currently there, i say take him. You take him.

So what if in the very unlikely case, the Draft ends up going like this:

1. McDavid

2. Eichel

3. Strome

4. Marner

5. Rantanen

6. (Devils Pick)

Who here takes Hanifin?

Not a knock on Marner but junior numbers are, well coming in games with ridiculous scorelines. 16 goals in a playoff game involving Marner's team. So when some guys put up huge scorelines that is only a small portion of what will actually translate to the NHL. Its no mystery that juniors in general is fairly loosey goosey.

Sure, but his numbers relative to his peers are still amazing.

Edited by Marshall

So what if in the very unlikely case, the Draft ends up going like this:

1. McDavid

2. Eichel

3. Strome

4. Marner

5. Rantanen

6. (Devils Pick)

Who here takes Hanifin?

I think Lou and the scouts would go BPA. And that would certainly be Hanifin. I think I would agree.

Moving down if you can get another first rounder might be worth it. I am intrigued by Travis Konecny. The way he has been described reminds me of the descriptions of Parise before he was drafted.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

I think Lou and the scouts would go BPA. And that would certainly be Hanifin. I think I would agree.

Moving down if you can get another first rounder might be worth it. I am intrigued by Travis Konecny. The way he has been described reminds me of the descriptions of Parise before he was drafted.

The best way to describe what Lou has said is the strategy is best forward available unless defenseman is best player available by a lot. I imagine Hanifin at 6 probably fits that description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't BPA subjective? I mean it's obvious McDavid and Eichel are clearly BPA where they will be taken but after that there are 5 or 6 guys who could go next. BPA should be specific to team needs unless there's a clear cut BPA that everyone agrees on.

In the scenario listed above, Hanifin is the BPA no questions asked

You're probably right but I've seen mocks with Crouse in the top 5. I've seen people compare Provorov and Werenski to Hanifin. I'm just saying after the first few picks it gets a little muddy as to who the BPA is so at that point team needs should come first. If the top 5 before us goes...

McDavid

Eichel

Hanifin

Marner

Strome

...who is BPA after that? Barzal, Provorov, Crouse, Werenski, Rantanen, Conner, etc.? Who can tell? It really just comes down to team needs at that point, IMO.

You're probably right but I've seen mocks with Crouse in the top 5. I've seen people compare Provorov and Werenski to Hanifin. I'm just saying after the first few picks it gets a little muddy as to who the BPA is so at that point team needs should come first. If the top 5 before us goes...

McDavid

Eichel

Hanifin

Marner

Strome

...who is BPA after that? Barzal, Provorov, Crouse, Werenski, Rantanen, Conner, etc.? Who can tell? It really just comes down to team needs at that point, IMO.

Needs only come into it after BPA every time with the Devils. Clearly each team is going to have their own view on each of those players. But if the Devils in their opinion though Werenski was by far the best player left they would take him over the need for a forward.

If the Devils scouts though all 4 had equal upsides they would then draft for need.

Conte has said previously that they.place players into bands in terms of quality and if they all go before their pick they them consider moving about.

I'd take Rantanen at 6. I like his skillset.

Based on very limited viewings and reading I am not keen. His skating leaves a lot to be desired. He doesn't seem to do anything really well.

I must admit after watching some of Crouse I would rather take him than Ratanen. He is a pain in the ass to play against. He has good speed and good hands.