2015 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

Some have Hanifin as the 3rd best defensmen in the draft. He could Fowler drop.

LD is a semi-serious concern in the future. With Merrill and Gelinas not having good years, it could be an issue. Of course getting a forward is 100x more important, but if you can get Hanifin at 6, you take him and worry about the rest later

Wondering in a straight up player for draft pick trade what it Merrill and Gelinas worth, could we get an early 2nd rd pick for them. If  Hanifin is there at 6 I would really think about trading down maybe you could someone 2015 and 2016 first round pick

The thing is that he isn't playing against children. He's not scorching 16 year olds every night. He's been playing in Finland's top league for a few years.

Yes of course, I wasn't knocking Rantanen. I was saying that people shouldn't be fooled by the low point totals, since he's doing better than it may seem. 

On the other hand, there are guys like Barkov or Granlund who have played so well in a men's league (same one as Rantanen) during their draft year, it almost looked like major junior league numbers.

SD, thanks for the info on the game you saw. Interesting stuff there.

Yes of course, I wasn't knocking Rantanen. I was saying that people shouldn't be fooled by the low point totals, since he's doing better than it may seem. 

On the other hand, there are guys like Barkov or Granlund who have played so well in a men's league (same one as Rantanen) during their draft year, it almost looked like major junior league numbers.

SD, thanks for the info on the game you saw. Interesting stuff there.

Ehlers actually got called up and would have played the next game if Winnipeg would have won but they are out so. Would have been a big jump for him but he's that good.

Lmfao, a dime-a-dozen basement blog regurgitating TG speculation. Seems legit.

No one is saying that it's rumoured to be true. They are only saying it's a move they could see Lou go for, which i got to agree with.

Hopefully he doesnt do it but i could totally see him go for Kessel

No one is saying that it's rumoured to be true. They are only saying it's a move they could see Lou go for, which i got to agree with.

Hopefully he doesnt do it but i could totally see him go for Kessel

As I've said before, I'm not against the idea of adding Kessel... But if Lou moved the 6th pick for him, I'd have a coronary.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2015/04/will_devils_trade_the_6th_overall_draft_pick_for_p.html

For now, at least, we can collectively breathe a sigh of relief.

Suggestions that the Devils will trade the sixth overall pick in June's NHL entry draft to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Phil Kessel is pure speculation.

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello told NJ Advance Media that he hasn't been approached with any trade proposal that would convince him to give up the club's first-round pick.

Lamoriello said the Devils are focusing on using the pick to get a forward who can help the team with scoring.

"Our scouts feel this is one of the better drafts and there is no question we should get a very, very good player," he said.

"Right now our focus is on where we are picking. As far as thinking anything else, you're just distracting yourself. Right now that's our pick and that's the focus."

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I'm sure Kessel has a NMC and can/ & probably would want to go somewhere where he wouldn't have to shoulder most,  if not all offensive expectations. especially w/out the supporting cast. 

Thank God, it's probably very doubtful he'll come here.

Also, if he crashes burns here, who's going to take that contract?

I want Lou to follow the Calgary model. I'll be patient!

As I've said before, I'm not against the idea of adding Kessel... But if Lou moved the 6th pick for him, I'd have a coronary.

I agree with you 100% but Lou might feel this is a "do or die" year and he needs this team to win now to keep his job. He probably can't wait for a Mitch Marner to grow into an offensive weapon in 2+ years and there's not a lot of offensive talent in this years free agent market. That leaves a trade, but unless we're trading away Adam Larsson, I doubt Gelinas is going to bring in a big-time offensive talent, even if he was packaged with Henrique and a few picks. I could be wrong. But yea... this is the scenario that scares me most. I read his comments in NJ.com but waiting for young players to develop has never been Lou's forte.

Edited by slasher72

http://www.hockeyfeed.com/rumor-phil-kessel-to-new-jersey/

If there's any truth to this, I will fall off my chair. Trading our #6 to Toronto for Phil Kessel would be such a Lou move too. That's what scares me. 

The last time anybody actually correctly predicted a major Lou move (no, trading for Steve Sullivan isn't a major move) before it happened was Potvin predicting the Kovalchuk trade. Other than that, the more leaks you see about something the less likely it is to occur.

The thing about Barzal... is he score 12 goals in 44 games at the junior level.... I would love to see a more goal scoring prospect coming in Jersey. I love his game. From what i saw at the u18 he is dominant... But I Saw Rantanen being dominant at the WJC. 

Barzal is a better playmakers, but Rantanen have a great combination of speed,size and Skills. To me Rantanen will be Nhl ready sooner and will play on the top 6. I saw a lot of Barkov in Rantanen.

I read about those two and look at games and video and to be honest i would Hate to see Rantanen with the flyers. Want him in Jersey.

So i would like to knows other opinion. 

For you,.... Rantanen or Barzal?

Edited by caron14

The thing about Barzal... is he score 12 goals in 44 games at the junior level.... I would love to see a more goal scoring prospect coming in Jersey. I love his game. From what i saw at the u18 he is dominant... But I Saw Rantanen being dominant at the WJC. 

Barzal is a better playmakers, but Rantanen have a great combination of speed,size and Skills. To me Rantanen will be Nhl ready sooner and will play on the top 6. I saw a lot of Barkov in Rantanen.

So i would like to knows other opinion. 

For you,.... Rantanen or Barzal?

I Prefer Barzal. I hate to pick on Euro's, but Teddy, Urbom, and JJ put a lil fear of players coming from larger ice surface and having lots of room to No. America, having no room to operate. Barkov did make a good transition.

The last time anybody actually correctly predicted a major Lou move (no, trading for Steve Sullivan isn't a major move) before it happened was Potvin predicting the Kovalchuk trade. Other than that, the more leaks you see about something the less likely it is to occur.

Thats not true. There was lots of rumours about Cammalleri, Clowe, Brunner and Ryder and i might forget others

Nothing to do with 6th OA (hopefully) but...

@Ledger_NJDevils do you know of any legitimate prospects local to New Jersey that the Devils might draft?

JC MacLean, the 18-year-old son of former Devils coach and right winger John MacLean is a top prospect who could interest the Devils. The 6-2, 200-pound center, who was a star at Delbarton and is from Basking Ridge, scored 14 points (9 goals, 5 assists) in 39 games for the Austin Bruins of the NAHL last season,

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2015/04/answering_your_twitter_questions_on_lou_lamoriello.html

he didn't predict it - he was basically the first to report it maybe a day before it was actually done.

he didn't predict it - he was basically the first to report it maybe a day before it was actually done.

As I recall, Potvin's offhand remark was several days before Kovalchuk was actually traded, and after that came Waddell/Dudley taking in the Lowell Devils one night and everything else.