2015 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

Would also be amazing if Lou could pull off some kind of trade getting a young prospect who's really good but buried under a deep NHL team at his position. Cause he'd be closer to be ready to step in than a late first round or a 2nd round pick.

Obviously getting a few 2nd would be amazing cause that's when you feel you can gamble and draft extra of what you need instead of doing a safe pick sometimes with your only 2nd.

There is no quick fix to NJ's problem. They have zero offensive depth in the minors. No sure fire top 6 forwards in the system. They really have a mess to fix in the next 3 years.

• 2 weeks later...

We have the 4th pick at the moment... its looking gooood

i wish the oilers could win a few games just so they are not like 10 pts behind us

and just as a reminder, here's the odds per position

1 - 20.00%
 2 - 13.50%
 3 - 11.50%
 4 - 9.50%
 5 - 8.50%
 6 - 7.50%
 7 - 6.50%
 8 - 6.00%
 9 - 5.00%
10 - 3.50%
11 - 3.00%
12 - 2.50%
13 - 2.00%
14 - 1.00%
Edited by SterioDesign

We have the 4th pick at the moment... its looking gooood

i wish the oilers could win a few games just so they are not like 10 pts behind us

and just as a reminder, here's the odds per position

1 - 20.00%

2 - 13.50%

3 - 11.50%

4 - 9.50%

5 - 8.50%

6 - 7.50%

7 - 6.50%

8 - 6.00%

9 - 5.00%

10 - 3.50%

11 - 3.00%

12 - 2.50%

13 - 2.00%

14 - 1.00%

Don't forget games in hand Arizona is 1 point behind with 2 games in hand so if the get 2 points out of the 4 we are 3 from the last. Carolina has 2 games in hand and are 7 points below us that could close to 3 points difference.

Don't forget games in hand Arizona is 1 point behind with 2 games in hand so if the get 2 points out of the 4 we are 3 from the last. Carolina has 2 games in hand and are 7 points below us that could close to 3 points difference.

well were not even in 2015 yet so there's no point looking tooooooo much into it but as long were hanging in the bottom 5 and that the bottom teams start catching up so that it's a tight race til the end, that'd be sweet

Unless something happens it seems like the Devils will draft in the top 10 maybe even the top 5, but my question is I know McDavid and Eichel are pretty much NHL ready now, but what about the rest of the draft.   Can the Devils draft someone that can play next year or will the Devils have to wait 1-2yrs before we even see the player we drafted

If I'm Buffalo and I end up with 2 overall would I package my 3 first rounders for 1 overall. Should the team with the 1st pick do the deal?

No way. Terrible asset management.

• 3 weeks later...

NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings

NA Skaters
1. C Connor McDavid
2. C Jack Eichel
3. D Noah Hanifin
4. LW Lawson Crouse
5. C Dylan Strome
6. D Zach Werenski
7. C Mitchell Marner
8. C Pavel Zacha
9. C Mathew Barzal
10. D Ivan Provorov

ISS January Top 30

-- ISS has Crouse up at 3 and Strome at 7 and Marner at 9...

Hockey Prospect January Top 30

1. C Connor McDavid
2. C Jack Eichel
3. D Noah Hanifin
4. LW Pavel Zacha
5. C Mitchell Marner
6. D Zach Werenski
7. LW Lawson Crouse
8. C Dylan Strome
9. D Jeremy Roy
10. D Oliver Kylington

Craig's List January Top 100

1a. C Connor McDavid
1b. C Jack Eichel
3. RW Mitchell Marner
4. C Dylan Strome
5. D Noah Hanifin
6. D Zach Werenski
7. D Oliver Kylington
8. D Ivan Provorov
9. C Nick Merkley
10. C Kyle Connor

-- Nick Merkley is 17 and has a 1.42 Pts/GP and 1.33 age adjusted Pts/GP rate which leads the WHL (minimum 30 games played). He is playing on a very good Kelowna team but did have a really solid age 16 season just under a point per game.

Let's say we end up picking at 5 and Marner and Strome are off the table, do you think the Devils take Hanifin? Hanifin seems like the BPA at that point, and I can't see the Devils taking Zacha, Svechnikov, or Rantanen that early. Crouse seems like a nightmare and a typical Devils pick. As others have said, I'd still prefer Hanifin/Provorov to him even though we desperately need forwards.

I'd be surprised if Hanifin makes it past Carolina (assuming they aren't in the top two picking), but you never know.

Let's say we end up picking at 5 and Marner and Strome are off the table, do you think the Devils take Hanifin? Hanifin seems like the BPA at that point, and I can't see the Devils taking Zacha, Svechnikov, or Rantanen that early. Crouse seems like a nightmare and a typical Devils pick. As others have said, I'd still prefer Hanifin/Provorov to him even though we desperately need forwards.

I'd be surprised if Hanifin makes it past Carolina (assuming they aren't in the top two picking), but you never know.

Assuming the various rankings and media scout analyses generally reflect the consensus, it's a very safe bet the Devils select Hannifin under your scenario. Lou has said that the priority is to draft forwards unless there's a defenseman available that is too good to pass up. Hannifin at five seems like that kind of player.

I agree with you that Lou and Conte seem too obsessed with size, and am quite spooked that they'll select Crouse -- who is not putting up points -- over Marner and Strome -- both of whom are putting up a ton. But I'm pretty confident that they'd take Hannifin over Crouse if both were available at 5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely take BPA which is Hannifin at 5 based on all of the rankings having him 3rd. If Lou moves Jagr and Zidlicky at the deadline like he should, NJ will have 4 more picks, including our own, in the top 70 to stockpile forwards. We need a cornerstone player, regardless of position, with that top pick. Edited by Lateralous

Have anyone heard who's projected to be better between Dylan and Ryan Strome? i tried to find reports from scouts or anything but didnt find anything.

We can of course just look at stats and compare but that never tells the whole story and ignoring situations the players may have been in. So i don't want to use it but thats all we got for now

Dylan's first season in the OHL 

60GP 10G 29A

This season (2nd)

43GP 28G 52A

Ryan's first season (played for 2 teams)

61GP 8G 19A

2nd season

65GP 33G 73A

So we all know Dylan's is playing on the 2nd line behind McDavid so he must be getting decent ice time but not as much as he could i think. Not sure if he's on the first wave of PP or 2nd either.

anyone have more details?

Have anyone heard who's projected to be better between Dylan and Ryan Strome? i tried to find reports from scouts or anything but didnt find anything.

We can of course just look at stats and compare but that never tells the whole story and ignoring situations the players may have been in. So i don't want to use it but thats all we got for now

Dylan's first season in the OHL 

60GP 10G 29A

This season (2nd)

43GP 28G 52A

Ryan's first season (played for 2 teams)

61GP 8G 19A

2nd season

65GP 33G 73A

So we all know Dylan's is playing on the 2nd line behind McDavid so he must be getting decent ice time but not as much as he could i think. Not sure if he's on the first wave of PP or 2nd either.

anyone have more details?

...only that McDavid was out for a significant amount of time, so Strome should have been getting top line minutes in his absence.  I try to watch the Junior games when they are on NHLN and in general they seem to play the top guys more so than in the pros.   I guess it's lack of depth but they certainly don't appear to role 4 lines the way they do in higher levels.