Jump to content

2015 Draft Thread


Recommended Posts

Laughing at our bad takes aside, how badly does Boston want that draft back?   They had the 13th, 14th and 15th picks in a row and went off the board a bit.   The next 3 picks after them were Barzal, Connor and Chabot.  They could have set themselves up for years if they just took the guys who were the census best available with those picks.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol at all you guys who were mad about taking Blackwood...

I just wish this site existed in 1990. ”I can’t believe we took a goalie with a #20 OA pick. It’s one thing if he was the best goalie available, but Trevor Kidd was already taken. Instead, we dra

I just wish this site existed in 1990.

”I can’t believe we took a goalie with a #20 OA pick. It’s one thing if he was the best goalie available, but Trevor Kidd was already taken. Instead, we draft a French-Canadian guy who you know is going to wind up playing in Montreal in a few years. We don’t even have room for a goalie with Burke and Terreri. Then the Bruins made us look stupid and took Smolinski right after us, and he’ll be the cornerstone of that team’s offense for 20 years and multiple Stanley Cups. Lamoriello should be fired immediately”. 

“Also, there’s speculation all over Twitter that we might change our jersey colors from red white and green to red white answer black. If this happens I am never buying another piece of merchandise and in burning down the arena. Fvck this team and fvck hockey”. 

“The only good news is next year Toronto will suck so bad that we will use their pick to draft Eric Lindros. But with our luck, Toronto will fvck that up and we’ll wind up doing something stupid like taking a defenseman 3rd overall”. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

Laughing at our bad takes aside, how badly does Boston want that draft back?   They had the 13th, 14th and 15th picks in a row and went off the board a bit.   The next 3 picks after them were Barzal, Connor and Chabot.  They could have set themselves up for years if they just took the guys who were the census best available with those picks.   

I just hope we don’t look back at our 2020 draft similarly. With 3 top 20 picks and all. I don’t think we will though. The more I watch and hear about Mercer the more I think he’s going to be a stud. And I was actually a bit upset with that pick initially (I wanted them to take Perreault since he’s more of a sniper). Which was silly. The guys here and elsewhere that really know their stuff when it comes to prospects were all ecstatic with the Mercer pick. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I just wish this site existed in 1990.

”I can’t believe we took a goalie with a #20 OA pick. It’s one thing if he was the best goalie available, but Trevor Kidd was already taken. Instead, we draft a French-Canadian guy who you know is going to wind up playing in Montreal in a few years. We don’t even have room for a goalie with Burke and Terreri. Then the Bruins made us look stupid and took Smolinski right after us, and he’ll be the cornerstone of that team’s offense for 20 years and multiple Stanley Cups. Lamoriello should be fired immediately”. 

“Also, there’s speculation all over Twitter that we might change our jersey colors from red white and green to red white answer black. If this happens I am never buying another piece of merchandise and in burning down the arena. Fvck this team and fvck hockey”. 

“The only good news is next year Toronto will suck so bad that we will use their pick to draft Eric Lindros. But with our luck, Toronto will fvck that up and we’ll wind up doing something stupid like taking a defenseman 3rd overall”. 

 

Heh heh, re:  the first paragraph, not sure if you knew, but Lou purposely traded down because he didn’t think Kidd was all he was being built up to be, and was sure that the guy that he did want (Marty of course) would be be available later in the first round.

The only (very) minor blemish on that deal is that both of the players that the Devils chose with the second-round picks they received as part of that trade didn’t pan out.  The Devils sent a first-rounder and second-rounder to Calgary...from what I’ve read (could be wrong), Calgary hasn’t attempted a trade to move up in the first round since.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Heh heh, re:  the first paragraph, not sure if you knew, but Lou purposely traded down because he didn’t think Kidd was all he was being built up to be, and was sure that the guy that he did want (Marty of course) would be be available later in the first round.

The only (very) minor blemish on that deal is that both of the players that the Devils chose with second-round picks they received as part of that trade didn’t pan out.  The Devils sent a first-rounder and second-rounder to Calgary...from what I’ve read (could be wrong), Calgary hasn’t attempted a trade to move up in the first round since.

I can’t honestly say that anything that happens when you come away with the most important player in the history of your franchise is a “blemish”.  But being upset with the second round picks when you came away with Brodeur in the first round is definitely an NJDevs thing also. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mfitz804 said:

I can’t honestly say that anything that happens when you come away with the most important player in the history of your franchise is a “blemish”.  But being upset with the second round picks when you came away with Brodeur in the first round is definitely an NJDevs thing also. 

 

I didn’t say that I was upset in the slightest, and I did refer to it as “very minor”.  If anything, imagine if the Devils managed to draft two useful NHLers with those picks (or if one of them turned out to be a little more than that)...that would’ve ranked as an even MORE brutal deal for the Flames, if that’s even possible.  The five-for-five swap (Doug Gilmour went to Leafs, with Gary Leeman coming back to the Flames) was another complete disaster for the Flames back in the early 90s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I didn’t say that I was upset in the slightest, and I did refer to it as “very minor”.  If anything, imagine if the Devils managed to draft two useful NHLers with those picks (or if one of them turned out to be a little more than that)...that would’ve ranked as an even MORE brutal deal for the Flames, if that’s even possible.  The five-for-five swap (Doug Gilmour went to Leafs, with Gary Leeman coming back to the Flames) was another complete disaster for the Flames back in the early 90s.

You aren’t wrong. But if someone did make the argument I mentioned, it would be in keeping with how things are handled on this site. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, nessus said:

Thanks for bumping this thread, always fun to see how early projections end up panning out. I think it's funny how I thought only slightly higher of Rantanen than Zacha, but both of them way higher than Crouse. Turns out Zacha is much closer to Crouse than Rantanen. I totally forgot how high I was on Barzal at the time.

I really do believe that scouts are so much better than most of these mock draft/draft rankings guys, but it was so painfully obvious that Point was a first round talent. I don't know what they all were thinking by skipping this guy. But I suppose if we took Point, we would never have had the pleasure of having ECHL grinder Connor Chatham in our system.

Anyway, when I apply to work for Castron's scouting staff, I hope you'll let me use you as a reference.

100% , if you could start working on the 2021 draft now please , then we can send this thread and your suggestions to Fitz and the Devil's scouting team and make sure we get some quality going forward. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2015 at 7:59 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

You can't take Barzal with the number six. Just can't do it.

Maybe they could've traded back but.. I like this pick.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I Feel Dumb GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.