2015 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

NJ is in 7th right now and it's hard to see how they fall any farther - they're 6 ahead of Columbus, 7 ahead of Carolina, and 7 ahead of Toronto.  A Schneider injury puts them right down with those teams but other than that I'm not sure how they go down more.  They could go up, but I doubt it - they're really not good, and they're going to start playing good teams again, and they've now played more home games than road games so that huge home stretch is over. 

That would give them a 6.5% chance of drafting 1st overall, a 70.5% chance of drafting 7th, and a 23% chance of drafting 8th.

Beetlebum's trolling is becoming less and less subtle as time goes by.

People started ignoring him - I think that's the problem.

Anyway - I'm going to start praying to the hockey Gods daily.  Good God does this team need a McDavid type player.

Not a troll. The NHL is not a star driven league, it is a team sport where depth of good players rather than one generational player wins championships. 

Are you seriously telling me you would rather have McDavid over Mitchell Marner, Maxi Domi, the Rangers first round pick in 2016. and Rieder.

If that were to happen the Devils would have a young forward corps to rival their defensive pipeline.

Edited by William D'Aquila

Not a troll. The NHL is not a star driven league, it is a team sport where depth of good players rather than one generational player wins championships. 

Are you seriously telling me you would rather have McDavid over Mitchell Marner, Maxi Domi, the Rangers first round pick in 2016. and Rieder.

If that were to happen the Devils would have a young forward corps to rival their defensive pipeline.

Umm, without a doubt I would rather have McDavid than what you're suggesting.  None of the players you have cited is a sure thing, and the Rangers first figures to be at the bottom of the first round as it is lottery protected.  McDavid's floor is probably Taveres.  And then you add to the fact that McDavid apparently does not have an ego, and is a hockey player's player. 

And the NHL is very much a star driven league, or at least when we're talking about a generational talent.  Crosby could take a team with more or less an AHL roster with a NHL quality goaltending to the playoffs every year. 

You're not trolling.  You're just speaking nonsense at least in this instance.

EDIT:  The only deal you consider with McDavid, assuming he doesn't pull a Lindros or Elway, is to swap with whoever is picking number 2.  So if it were Edmonton (even though it wouldn't be, but just to illustrate the principle) the trade would be McDavid for Eichel and Taylor Hall... something like that.

Edited by Daniel

Umm, without a doubt I would rather have McDavid than what you're suggesting.  None of the players you have cited is a sure thing, and the Rangers first figures to be at the bottom of the first round as it is lottery protected.  McDavid's floor is probably Taveres.  And then you add to the fact that McDavid apparently does not have an ego, and is a hockey player's player. 

And the NHL is very much a star driven league, or at least when we're talking about a generational talent.  Crosby could take a team with more or less an AHL roster with a NHL quality goaltending to the playoffs every year. 

You're not trolling.  You're just speaking nonsense at least in this instance.

EDIT:  The only deal you consider with McDavid, assuming he doesn't pull a Lindros or Elway, is to swap with whoever is picking number 2.  So if it were Edmonton (even though it wouldn't be, but just to illustrate the principle) the trade would be McDavid for Eichel and Taylor Hall... something like that.

How many cups has Crosby won? 

How many cups has Kopitar won?

Who is the better player?

Which player is on the better team?

My opinion has nothing to do with McDavid's skill-set, I am sure he is going to be great, but i'd rather have three very good young forwards rather than 1 great young forward.

My reasoning relates to the mantra on this board for months - assets, assets, assets. 

This is much more appealing to me than the McDavid alternative in 2015-2016

Domi Zajac Marner

Cammy Elias Rieder

Henrique Gomez Bernier

Ruutu Jo Tooto

Edited by William D'Aquila

There aren't many generational players.  Ovechkin, Crosby, Lemieux, Gretzky, Lindros - these are the 5 forwards in my hockey watching lifetime who I would put at that level.  And both Lemieux and Lindros suffered through lots of injuries.  Ovechkin hasn't won anything because of bad luck and some bad team management, not because he isn't amazing.  Lindros never won the Cup but certainly came close.  McDavid is probably on that level and a guy like that turns everyone he plays with into a 30 goal scorer.  It's a license to print value as long as you manage it correctly.

Crosby

Which player is on the better team - that's easy, Crosby is on a better team.  The trouble with the Penguins is MA Fleury, who posted 4 straight seasons below a .900 SV% in the playoffs.  Otherwise Crosby would've won a lot more playoff games.

How many Cups did Hugh Jessiman (picked 12th overall like Max Domi) and Sam Gagner (similar offensive CHL numbers to Marner and picked right around where Marner will be picked) win and how many would they have won together?   You could even sweeten it and substitute Parise for Hugh Jessiman and the result would be the same.  And that's the point.  You're trading a sure thing who on his own could very likely make a crappy team good versus two main centerpieces that are not. 

There aren't many generational players.  Ovechkin, Crosby, Lemieux, Gretzky, Lindros - these are the 5 forwards in my hockey watching lifetime who I would put at that level.  And both Lemieux and Lindros suffered through lots of injuries.  Ovechkin hasn't won anything because of bad luck and some bad team management, not because he isn't amazing.  Lindros never won the Cup but certainly came close.  McDavid is probably on that level and a guy like that turns everyone he plays with into a 30 goal scorer.  It's a license to print value as long as you manage it correctly.

Crosby

Which player is on the better team - that's easy, Crosby is on a better team.  The trouble with the Penguins is MA Fleury, who posted 4 straight seasons below a .900 SV% in the playoffs.  Otherwise Crosby would've won a lot more playoff games.

How many Cups did Hugh Jessiman (picked 12th overall like Max Domi) and Sam Gagner (similar offensive CHL numbers to Marner and picked right around where Marner will be picked) win and how many would they have won together?   You could even sweeten it and substitute Parise for Hugh Jessiman and the result would be the same.  And that's the point.  You're trading a sure thing who on his own could very likely make a crappy team good versus two main centerpieces that are not. 

Do Hugh Jessiman and Domi play similar games at all? If i mentioned Crouse, the comparison would be apt. 

Your Gagner and Marner comparison is valid, but who is to say Marner, doesn't turn into Denis Savard or Steven Stamkos. 

draft-year.jpg?w=425&h=508

Do Hugh Jessiman and Domi play similar games at all? If i mentioned Crouse, the comparison would be apt. 

Your Gagner and Marner comparison is valid, but who is to say Marner, doesn't turn into Denis Savard or Steven Stamkos. 

draft-year.jpg?w=425&h=508

Ok, then Josh Bailey instead of Domi, or Brayden Schenn, or a million other players that put up video game numbers in junior but who have underwhelmed in the NHL.  McDavid is as close to a sure thing as it gets.  In all likelihood, the Devils are a playoff team in his first year largely because of him, and it's possible they'd be a highly seeded one at that. 

Meh, I'd put Jagr in his prime over Ovechkin, but that's just me.  Just a vibe thing, but Jagr at his best was a guy that scared you whenever he had the puck.  Ovechkin seems to do a lot of his damage just by pure volume of shots. 

Ridiculous that the Devils won't be in the top-5.  Just a damn shame.

We can thank Cory, honestly - not a dig, he's been outstanding and it's been fun to watch.  But he's the only reason the Devils are not in the McDavid discussion imo.

Its not a given we wont be top 5, but its a very big stretch. I think our highest potential spot is 6 or 7, but we can always win the lottery and McDavid is ours. We'd have to have a drastic losing streak for it to be possible to move up significantly.

Our schedule (and Cory) is not favorable for a plummet, but its also not favorable for any type of real winning streak. I think we end up picking 7th or 8th. 

Meh, I'd put Jagr in his prime over Ovechkin, but that's just me.  Just a vibe thing, but Jagr at his best was a guy that scared you whenever he had the puck.  Ovechkin seems to do a lot of his damage just by pure volume of shots. 

Yeah I guess I do have to throw Jagr in there, but Ovechkin has lead the league in goals 4 times, and been in the top 5 4 other times.  He could score 700 goals, which is really amazing considering the era he's playing in.

I think Columbus can still pass us. I've given up hope on Carolina or any other team below passing us. That's why I think 6-7 is our range. 

I think 6 is not really likely. We just shut out Columbus and they've lost 6 straight and we're above them by 6 points with 19 left to play, 2 games left against them. Dallas has lost 6 straight, traded Cole, and Seguin is hurt and they're above us by 2 points and play in a tougher conference.

If we get 6th, it'd be an achievement but I think 6th is a tough order. Columbus would have to turn it around quickly and I think Dallas is going to plummet. We're going to stay what we are most likely.

I think 6 is not really likely. We just shut out Columbus and they've lost 6 straight and we're above them by 6 points with 19 left to play, 2 games left against them. Dallas has lost 6 straight, traded Cole, and Seguin is hurt and they're above us by 2 points and play in a tougher conference.

If we get 6th, it'd be an achievement but I think 6th is a tough order. Columbus would have to turn it around quickly and I think Dallas is going to plummet. We're going to stay what we are most likely.

I was thinking we still had 2 games at hand on Columbus but we only have one. I just don't see anyone in the bottom 8 actually trying to win from this point on (except us of course). I was also unaware of Dallas' losing streak. For a while there we actually had a top 5 pick too. That's a damn shame. Looks like 7-8 is a more realistic draft position.

Anyone who pays attention to junior hockey know anything about Dennis Yan?  I was just googling some mock drafts and see that one -- for what it's worth -- has him being one of our second round picks.  His numbers look pretty good -- ppg+ as a youngish 17 year old -- and this summary suggests that he's pretty skilled.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/dennis-yan/21096/

It also looks like he had a very productive Hlinka tournament.  Of course, the summary says his defensive skills need work, so I guess that means he's not even on Conte's draft board, but we'll see.

Anyone who pays attention to junior hockey know anything about Dennis Yan?  I was just googling some mock drafts and see that one -- for what it's worth -- has him being one of our second round picks.  His numbers look pretty good -- ppg+ as a youngish 17 year old -- and this summary suggests that he's pretty skilled.

It also looks like he had a very productive Hlinka tournament.  Of course, the summary says his defensive skills need work, so I guess that means he's not even on Conte's draft board, but we'll see.

The idea that the Devils don't draft defensively limited players is borne out by absolutely no evidence.

• Like 1

Do you know anything about Conte? As far as I know, David prefers to draft players with a blank palette, so they can be molded within the Devils structure. If anything this is someone, he would draft.

Do you know anything about Conte? As far as I know, David prefers to draft players with a blank palette, so they can be molded within the Devils structure. If anything this is someone, he would draft.

Which is reason enough to let someone else move in as scouting director.   They've "molded" a lot crap the last few years. the best players in Albany (w/ longevity) are free agents for the most part.

1. C Connor McDavid (Erie)

2. C Jack Eichel (Boston University)

3. LW Lawson Crouse (Kingston)

4. D Noah Hanifin (Boston College)

5. RW Mitch Marner (London)

6. C Dylan Strome (Erie)

7. C Mathew Barzal (Seattle)

8. RW Mikko Rantanen (TPS Turku)

9. D Ivan Provorov (Brandon)

10. D Zach Werenski (Michigan) 

1. C Connor McDavid (Erie)

2. C Jack Eichel (Boston University) 

3. D Noah Hanifin (Boston College)

4. C Dylan Strome (Erie)

5. RW Mitch Marner (London)

6. LW Lawson Crouse (Kingston)

7. D Zach Werenski (Michigan)

8. C Travis Konecny (Ottawa)

9. C Pavel Zacha (Sarnia)

10. D Ivan Provorov (Brandon)

Mathew Barzal is who i am looking at now. Seems to be healthy and putting up 27 points in his last 16 games in the WHL. I feel he is very similar to Ryan Nuggent Hopkins, maybe a little less playmaking and more explosive speed.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Mathew Barzal is who i am looking at now. Seems to be healthy and putting up 27 points in his last 16 games in the WHL. I feel he is very similar to Ryan Nuggent Hopkins, maybe a little less playmaking and more explosive speed.

How's his wrist shot? does he have strong forearms to beat an NHL goal from the high slot? looks skinny... but he can finish around the goal and has a good IQ

Edited by EdgeControl

How's his wrist shot? does he have strong forearms to beat an NHL goal from the high slot? looks skinny... but he can finish around the goal and has a good IQ

I will let Bure figure all that sort of stuff out. His hockey IQ is extremely high to go with elite speed.

If we're at 7 and hanifin is there do we take him or do we reach a little for a forward from that second tier?

Or is hanifin just that good that he won't fall to 7... I'm remembering Larsson falling to us since everyone wanted the top forwards.