2015 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

If Hanifin is there at 7, you have to take him, it is a no brainer. 

Or - you do what smart teams do and you trade down a few spots and get a prospect or some more picks.  If that kid falls to 7 you better believe teams with defensive needs will come calling.

Or - you do what smart teams do and you trade down a few spots and get a prospect or some more picks. If that kid falls to 7 you better believe teams with defensive needs will come calling.

I'm not sure nhl draft picks are as valuable as say nfl draft picks. If you trade down 5-10 spots from 7 to like 15, what is the return like? In the NFL that's at least another first and second plus some more. In the NHL I don't get the feeling that the return would be worth it, I'd rather draft a player like hanifin who is as close to a sure thing and trade one of our a prospects.

And yeah it's highly unlikely he falls to us but we have over 3 months to fill here lol.

Phil Kessel really isn't a bad idea at all.  He's not 18 but think about it, he's a year younger than Schneider and our goal is obviously win a cup before Schneider retires.  I'd definitely be in favor of the trade Daniel described if we dont get that great of a pick afterall

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting mock draft from some of the guys at Hockey Prospectus. They have the Devils taking D Zach Werenski at 7 and LW Dennis Yan at 37. I'd be happy with those picks.

Werenski is a 17 year old freshman for Michigan (NCAA). In 32 GP he has 9 goals, 15 assists, +10, 8 PIM, 55 blocks, 11.84 SH%, and 2.38 SH/GP. He's already 6'2, 214 lbs. and doesn't turn 18 until 7/19. I know everyone wants a forward but he may be the BPA and too good to pass up.

Yan is a 17 year old rookie for Shawinigan (QMJHL).  He turns 18 on 4/14. In 57 GP he has 32 goals, 30 assists, +22, 67 PIM, 16.41 SH%, and 3.42 SH/GP. He's 6'1, 188 lbs and is a product of the USNTDP. According to Elite Prospects, he's 7th in scoring amongst the current U18 players in the QMJHL.

EDIT: Completely missed the Devils pick at 41. They have them taking C Jakob-Forsbacka-Karlsson from Omaha (USHL). 18 year old RC from Stockholm who is the leading scorer for Omaha with 50 GP 15 goals, 38 assists, +10, 38 PIM, 12.93 SH%, and 2.32 SH/GP. He's also tied for 7th in scoring in the USHL. He'll be at Boston University next year. 

I think those 3 would be a nice haul for the Devils.

Edited by thefiestygoat

If Strome or Marner doesn't fall to us, I'm really hoping the Devils take Barzal. Elite playmaking center that could allow us to drop Zajac to 2nd line duties. Kid also has speed for days and a solid shot.

FWIW, of all the draft eligible 17-18 year olds in the WHL, only Nick Merkley has more points per game than Barzal. I imagine Barzal's injury has impacted his points total to some degree, as well.  He could turn out to be a steal if the Devils take him at 7.  I remember hearing good things before the injury.

Interesting mock draft from some of the guys at Hockey Prospectus. They have the Devils taking D Zach Werenski at 7 and LW Dennis Yan at 37. I'd be happy with those picks.

Werenski is a 17 year old freshman for Michigan (NCAA). In 32 GP he has 9 goals, 15 assists, +10, 8 PIM, 55 blocks, 11.84 SH%, and 2.38 SH/GP. He's already 6'2, 214 lbs. and doesn't turn 18 until 7/19. I know everyone wants a forward but he may be the BPA and too good to pass up.

Yan is a 17 year old rookie for Shawinigan (QMJHL).  He turns 18 on 4/14. In 57 GP he has 32 goals, 30 assists, +22, 67 PIM, 16.41 SH%, and 3.42 SH/GP. He's 6'1, 188 lbs and is a product of the USNTDP. According to Elite Prospects, he's 7th in scoring amongst the current U18 players in the QMJHL.

EDIT: Completely missed the Devils pick at 41. They have them taking C Jakob-Forsbacka-Karlsson from Omaha (USHL). 18 year old RC from Stockholm who is the leading scorer for Omaha with 50 GP 15 goals, 38 assists, +10, 38 PIM, 12.93 SH%, and 2.32 SH/GP. He's also tied for 7th in scoring in the USHL. He'll be at Boston University next year. 

I think those 3 would be a nice haul for the Devils.

I'd be happy with this, too. Werenski is putting up some crazy numbers as a freshman in the NCAA. He and Provorov are two defensemen I'm looking at who I'd be happy with. Hard to pass on a forward, but one of those guys could help make the Devils future on D look ridiculously dangerous.

Greene-Larsson

Merrill-Severson

Santini-Werenski/Provorov

I wonder if the Devils are in that position, though, whether they'd try trading down with a team like Ottawa or Winnipeg (or whichever teams end up picking close to the middle of the first round) and get another second rounder. That way they'll still have a shot at one of the highly talented guys like Rantanen, Zacha, Meier, Svechnikov, or maybe even Barzal AND they will have 3 chances in the second round to get a decent forward or D/G prospect.

Devils would have to trade down if they were in line to take a D.  They cannot take a defenseman in the 1st round, I don't care how highly rated he is - if he's that highly rated, someone else will want him, and the Devils will get additional picks, which they sorely need anyway.

Devils would have to trade down if they were in line to take a D.  They cannot take a defenseman in the 1st round, I don't care how highly rated he is - if he's that highly rated, someone else will want him, and the Devils will get additional picks, which they sorely need anyway.

An interesting scenario would be, if the top forwards are gone, would be to trade number 7 overall to Edmonton for the pick they got from Pittisburgh (which would be between 20 and 23 if they don't make it to the Cup finals) and Yakopov (unless the thinking is that he's unsalvageable) or perhaps RNH if Hannifin for some reason slips that far.  Or perhaps swing for the fences with Taylor Hall. 

McDavid

Eichel

Strome

Marner

Barzal

Rantanen

I don't think we should take a defender over any of these guys if they're still on the board. Chances are Hanifin will be taken in there so if we wind up with the 7th we should be ok. But who knows where we end up at this point. 

An interesting scenario would be, if the top forwards are gone, would be to trade number 7 overall to Edmonton for the pick they got from Pittisburgh (which would be between 20 and 23 if they don't make it to the Cup finals) and Yakopov (unless the thinking is that he's unsalvageable) or perhaps RNH if Hannifin for some reason slips that far.  Or perhaps swing for the fences with Taylor Hall. 

Don't forget Jordan Eberle

Yakupov is playing much better and I don't think Edmonton is ready to give up on him.  They would absolutely not trade Taylor Hall or RNH for the package you are describing.

Yakupov is playing much better and I don't think Edmonton is ready to give up on him.  They would absolutely not trade Taylor Hall or RNH for the package you are describing.

If somehow Hanifin slipped that far, perhaps it could land RNH with something else that isn't that valuable but not useless either.  The implication is that it would take a lot more to land Hall, I don't know what, but Hannifin, if he's there would be a plausible start.   

Don't forget Jordan Eberle

I'm meh on Eberle.  Seems very much like the type that's either scoring goals or he's useless.  He's the sort of guy you try and buy low on, or don't bother with. 

This is an interesting scenario. I think Arizona, Buffalo, and Edmonton have some late 1sts/early 2nds. Not sure if any of them would want to make a move for Werenski and Provorov but it would be nice for the Devils to get some extra picks. It seems like this draft is going to have some decent forwards available in the first two rounds.

This is an interesting scenario. I think Arizona, Buffalo, and Edmonton have some late 1sts/early 2nds. Not sure if any of them would want to make a move for Werenski and Provorov but it would be nice for the Devils to get some extra picks. It seems like this draft is going to have some decent forwards available in the first two rounds.

Arizona, Buffalo and Edmonton's picks depends on where Chicago, the better of Tampa/St.Louis or Pittsburgh finish, respectively.  So all of them should be 20 or lower.  Number 7 or 8 overall for 20+ and an early second round pick doesn't seem like enough to me. 

If somehow Hanifin slipped that far, perhaps it could land RNH with something else that isn't that valuable but not useless either.  The implication is that it would take a lot more to land Hall, I don't know what, but Hannifin, if he's there would be a plausible start.   

You do know that Edmonton wants to be good at some point, right?  That trading something like RNH for a 1st round pick this year just sets them back even farther?  Their 2nd line center this year is Derek Roy.  

You do know that Edmonton wants to be good at some point, right? That trading something like RNH for a 1st round pick this year just sets them back even farther? Their 2nd line center this year is Derek Roy.

A lot would depend on if they land one of McDavid or Eichel, which is a pretty good possibility. If that happens they immediately have a first line center that's probably better than RNH right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How I'd rank the forwards at the moment:

1. McDavid

2. Eichel

3. Strome

4. Marner

5. Barzal

6. Rantanen

7. Zacha

8. Meier

Add in a atleast one of Hanifin, Werenski, and Provorov and its safe to say NJ will be getting a top forward no matter what. But if we miss out on the big 4 I really want Barzal.