Preseason GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:30pm MSG+

Coorslight

Would have been nice to get the shootout monkey off our back, even if it's just the pre-season.

I don't mind Harrold and Janssen or whoever playing games even if "we know what were getting" at this point. Other than a few players, I would expect DeBoer knows what he's getting at this point. Most of them played here last year after all. Part of the point of these games is to get guys in shape for the season. Especially guys who won't see game action for the next couple weeks because they will be out of the lineup (Harrold).

Shootout is discouraging but whatever, sometimes your goalie has to actually stop one. You don't win shootouts giving up 2 goals in the first 3 rounds that often. This new overtime thing is going to be a disaster if it's dry scrape, OT, dry scrape, shootout, but since Henrique's puck slid off his stick due to bad ice I assume that's what it's going to be.

Kinkaid played well after the miscue, and that's good to see - that's not a mistake that he or any NHL goalie will make too often.

Gomez is through. He made some nice plays but he's not doing enough to get himself on to the team.

I'm going to enjoy the 50 or so games Martin Havlat plays this year.

Matteau got some nice looks and made some nice plays. Would've been nice for him to bury one but he's looking confident out there.

Helgeson is big, but apart from that I didn't see much else out of him. Komisarek is through - another ugly game for him, though he did get more ice time. I'm liking what I'm seeing out of Severson but obviously ther'es lots of work to be done there.

There was no dry scrape between the overtime and shootout and hopefully they won't add one cause it took too long as it was. I wish they would go back to the way it was

Edited by Satans Hockey

It wasn't any longer on the whole than previous years only the five minute break was before OT instead of before the shootout.

Thats the whole thing though we would only have to sit through that if it went to a shootout. I'd rather see a quick ot goal and call it a night then sit through the dry scrape every single time we go past regulation now

Thats the whole thing though we would only have to sit through that if it went to a shootout. I'd rather see a quick ot goal and call it a night then sit through the dry scrape every single time we go past regulation now

This. Plus it looked line Henrique lost the puck because of the bad ice during the shootout...

Not hard to see why Gomez's numbers are so awful the past four seasons.  He's done.  One of the oldest-looking 34-year-olds I've ever seen.  Scary how slow he looks at times.   

Glad to see Kinkaid turn in a solid effort all-around...clearly the backup job is his to lose.  Regardless of what the Devils say publicly, I can't see Clemmer being Plan A, as far as the backup position goes. 

Re:  the shootout, sure, losing yet another one blows, but Cammalleri didn't play, and Havlat hasn't had much success in them, and Henrique got some bad luck.  And like Tri says, when your goalie only stops one of three, it's going to be tough to win those most of the time anyway. 

Not hard to see why Gomez's numbers are so awful the past four seasons.  He's done.  One of the oldest-looking 34-year-olds I've ever seen.  Scary how slow he looks at times.   

Glad to see Kinkaid turn in a solid effort all-around...clearly the backup job is his to lose.  Regardless of what the Devils say publicly, I can't see Clemmer being Plan A, as far as the backup position goes. 

Re:  the shootout, sure, losing yet another one blows, but Cammalleri didn't play, and Havlat hasn't had much success in them, and Henrique got some bad luck.  And like Tri says, when your goalie only stops one of three, it's going to be tough to win those most of the time anyway. 

Gomez may be slower but it seemed he did a good job last night of possessing and distributing. I think he could be a different asset that at this point is more serviceable than Gionta.

It's five extra minutes at 9:30 at night, big deal...at least the ice is better for the actual hockey.

Glad to see Kinkaid turn in a solid effort all-around...clearly the backup job is his to lose. Regardless of what the Devils say publicly, I can't see Clemmer being Plan A, as far as the backup position goes.

Agreed. The second goal he gave up was a really bad mistake, but I was impressed that he didn't let it rattle him. He played really well the rest of the game.

The shootout is frustrating, but it's just preseason. I'll not worry about it too much yet. What really concerned me was that Henrique seemed to be the only one capable of winning a face off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gomez is still showing speed. I dont think hes slow and he didnt had a bad game at all yesterday. He made some nice passes and had a couple good zone entries. Id take him over Gionta in a heartbeat.

I agree he had a good night. There were at least 3 good writeups about him with good comments from Elias and DeBoer. As of today he stays.