I hope the Devils never do what the Red Sox did

roomtemp

The Mets honored Chipper Jones on his farewell tour, and I didn't like it one but...I can appreciate how terrific Chipper was, and how clutch he was against the Mets (David Wright could learn a lot in that regard from both Chipper AND Derek), but the guy literally just killed us every chance he got...constantly won at the Mets' expense.  At least the Red Sox eventually broke through and won some Series while Jeter was still playing. 

I'm pretty sure that Chipper actually named his son 'Shea'  :) And you're right - Chipper was a great player who was 2 ranks better than phenomenal when playing the Mets.

the one thing we need to understand is that hockey is NOT baseball (and lets thank god for that)

And saying that, the Devils are NOT the Yankees.  The team mantra has always been pro-front-of-jersey, which is just how it should be when you have a dynasty.  We will probably have one quiet 'Marty night' and retire his jersey when he's officially retired, and that will be it aside from the occasional 'marty nights' down the road.

I'm pretty sure that Chipper actually named his son 'Shea'  :) And you're right - Chipper was a great player who was 2 ranks better than phenomenal when playing the Mets.

'tss tss whats Chippahs grandsons name, Citi or sumthin'?, idunno idunno'

The difference is the Red Sox-Yankees is at this point just a traditional and ceremonial rivalry. At least for now. A healthy majority of Devils and Rangers fans truly and passionately hate each other. The Devils have far too much respect for themselves, their fans, and their community to pull this kind of absurdity.

And sometimes you have to remember the players are bigger than the teams too. It's an appreciation for the entertainment and effort these guys put on the ball field/ice they are showing appreciation. Jeter lost to the Sox as well - many times, and never pouted, smashed Boston fans, etc. He lost with class and won with class.

Lundqvist will retire one day and probably with the NYR, and if he plays another 8 years and somehow wins a Cup or two (god hope not) and did a farewell tour (again hockey doesn't do it) - but if he did and the Devils recognized him in some fashion during the last tv timeout thanking him for years of contribution to the rivalry and service to hockey while making a donation to a charity - by all means - I'd stand and cheer. Things are bigger than the game. These are people. Henrik by all measures is pretty much all class, hard working and passionate. He leaves it out all on the ice. I can appreciate that. It's stupid hockey logos on jerseys we root for, but the players who do it are bigger.

You mised my point. I meant when players come back with another team and play against the Devils for the first time.

even Holik's first game back against the Devils with the Rangers - there should've been some acknowledgment of the service he gave to Devils hockey. Same for Gomez, Parise, Gionta, Madden, Niedermayer, Arnott, and so on....these guys won Cups here and when they returned to NJ as players on other teams for the first time, the Devils couldn't be bothered to say "thanks".

They should've acknowkedged Scott Gomez his first game back? Is that actually a joke? There's not a single devils fan that would've pissed on him if he was on fire. I'm frankly appalled that he's in the red and black again, even if it's only preseason.

I'm frankly appalled that he's in the red and black again, even if it's only preseason.

Hold onto a grudge much? Jeez I'm starting to wonder why I come here any more. If people aren't complaining, they're spewing stuff like this. It's like I'm at Thanksgiving Dinner

In my opinion, Jeter is an anomaly to the rule, because of how exemplary an individual he is, and this is coming from a bitter Mets fan...But of course the Yankees had to take it far too many steps further to the point where he was playing wearing his own patch on his jersey and cap. That made me vomit in mouth.

And no, nothing of this sort would or should happen to Hank and the Rangers for us, but had Marty played the last game of his career at MSG as a Devil, you'd be wrong to expect anything other than the Rangers fans applauding him and the media celebrating them for it. Again, Marty is a player on the same level as Jeter--throughout the Jeter fiasco my biggest complaint was how, while Rivera had his farewell tour, it was microscopic in regards to the over abundance of support Jeter received. Apply this back to the Devils/Rangers situation--I don't expect Elias to get the same treatment I would Brodeur in that situation, he's simply not the magnitude a player in the eyes of the fans, just as Jeter was lightyears ahead of the Core Four, in the eyes of the fan, while in actuality, Rivera, the best closer of all time should be the most celebrated.

Forgetting for a minute Gomez, Holik, Driver and even MacLean --- what about players like McKay, Arnott, Rafalski, Gionta, Madden, Pandolfo, et al.? In the least, a little 45-second highlight clip of each of them would've been nice to see before the first puck dropped during each one of their initial games back in Jersey.

While we all root for the logo first, some of us fans do form bonds with these guys over the years.

Edited by 95Crash

the jeter stuff was egodiculous; massive group think mental illness

im watching the royals game now as punishment for assuming in conversation that they were out.

my question is im not a mets fan but it looked like they were playing the astros in their last series and isnt that considered inter league now?

the "marty" chants that go on in no way would i ever all hail the queen; you can make a comparison between jeter and henrik and im not saying they suck either

the one thing we need to understand is that hockey is NOT baseball (and lets thank god for that)

And saying that, the Devils are NOT the Yankees.  The team mantra has always been pro-front-of-jersey, which is just how it should be when you have a dynasty.  We will probably have one quiet 'Marty night' and retire his jersey when he's officially retired, and that will be it aside from the occasional 'marty nights' down the road.

'tss tss whats Chippahs grandsons name, Citi or sumthin'?, idunno idunno'

The question is...

If Marty "officially" announces his retirement by, let's say....mid December.....do we put #30 up into the rafters this season?!!?

For all of you "I would NEVER cheer Lundqvist when he retires!" people:

Here's the NJDevs thread from when Mike Richter retired.

What the hell do you think this proves? Is my discourse supposed to change because a few devils fans were supportive of Richter when he retired more than a decade ago? Popular opinion MUST be objectively correct.

I will never show an ounce of respect to a retiring Ranger. I'm sure any standing ovation Lundvist would receive would be promptly followed by a solid Rangers suck.

What the hell do you think this proves? Is my discourse supposed to change because a few devils fans were supportive of Richter when he retired more than a decade ago? Popular opinion MUST be objectively correct.

I wasn't trying to prove anything.  Just pointing out that things used to be different around here.  Devils fans used to be classy, and we were damn proud of it; it's what separated us from the Rangers and Flyers fans we'd always see.  These days, it seems like it's a competition to see who can be the bigger douchebag.

Maybe Satans Hockey is right.  Maybe Richter got more respect because he was not just an American, but an American Olympian.  Shouldn't matter, though.  If you can't tip your cap to your opponent after the battle is done, it says a lot.  Perhaps we should abolish the handshake line at the end of every playoff series as well?

I will never show an ounce of respect to a retiring Ranger. I'm sure any standing ovation Lundvist would receive would be promptly followed by a solid Rangers suck.

Maybe you should stick to fist-pumping at the club down the shore, brah.

I wasn't trying to prove anything. These days, it seems like it's a competition to see who can be the bigger douchebag.

how have the rags shown marty any respect? your off your rocker :cryriver:

you're not a douchebag (your words) for not sing songing an inferior enemy

fist bump brah 

how have the rags shown marty any respect? 

Can't say you're wrong here.  Plus Derek Jeter would never be douchey enough to take a victory lap around Fenway Park the way Lundqvist did in 2008 at the Rock.

For all of you "I would NEVER cheer Lundqvist when he retires!" people:

Here's the NJDevs thread from when Mike Richter retired.

There's a difference between respecting the guy and going out of your way to honor him.  Baseball's a completely different culture than hockey.