Bernier, Harrold & Janssen on Waivers. Carter to Wild

devilsrule33

unfortunently he is making why too much money to just be sitting on our fourth line..i dont think that was a very wise deal we made when we acquired him and his salary.

He won't be sitting there all year and his salary really isn't a big deal - inefficient yes, but were the Devils going to sign anyone with that money?  No.  Next year's when it might matter.

unfortunently he is making why too much money to just be sitting on our fourth line..i dont think that was a very wise deal we made when we acquired him and his salary.

That's true but this would only be a concern if the Devils were in cap trouble, which they are not.

As much as I like Carter, our 4th line got better this season.

THE WITCH IS DEAD! CBGB IS NO MORE...PRAISE (insert whatever you believe in). Seriously though, that line has not been effective for awhile and we all know how much DeBoer overplayed them. The thing I don't get is not keeping either Kaberle or Harold up here. Both would have been perfect #7s whom would get a decent amount of time with injuries and what not. Now Larsson, Gelinas and Severson will all be taking turns in the press box. Severson is probably ready, but I don't think some AHL time would've hurt

Adding Seversen gives them flexibility to sit Larsson if he struggles. They also can get a 9 game look of Seversen before sending him back so I am not sure Harrold is down permanently by any means. You might even see Helgeson for a trial 9.

Lou should have been in on Leddy.

That said it wouldn't shock me if Carter's back next year :lol:

Where?  Matteau is waiver-eligible, so he has to be on the roster (or traded).  Gionta and Josefson are both signed for next year too, along with all of the current LWs.  There's really not a spot for him.  I think that's why this played out as it did - the Devils were not willing to sign a multi-year deal with Ryan Carter.

According to TG's article Carter was looking for 1.5M/year - after what Glass got I don't blame him - but it seems like he also wanted to play for a winner and he could get one but not both.  So the Devils wanted to pay him <$1M to be here and he didn't like it but then all the other offers dried up and here he was.

Edited by Triumph

Not convinced Harrold is going down to start the season.  How long can he be sent down without clearing?  Rather have him sitting as the 7th D with Severson getting 25 mins a night in the A.  

Maybe Lou is just seeing if someone will take the bait and claim him.  I just don't think his offensive upside is good enough for his lack of defensive ability.  At least Gelly has a slapshot and has potential to improve.. I really don't know what Harrold brings to the table and he is what he is.  

Not upset about Bernier or Carter, We just have better options now.  Great in the playoff run which just shows you what can happen to a team that has a 4th line that chips in offensively. Which Lou seemed to address this off season by incrementally improving.  

I think jj, ruutuu an tootoo can be an effective double trouble line.  I'd start jj over gio, but that may not be the plan.  

I'm optimistic about this team.   Better then the 50-1(bovada) odds to win the cup.  over under is 87.5(bovada) at a -130 which mean big money is on the over. Regular season wins is at 36.5(wagerabc) at -120 on each side (never thought abut reg season wins,  only thing that may put doubt in your mind with that is the shootout last year).  I've been to vegas enough to know you might get better deal shopping around but those are the lines I see.

I know, off on a tangent.  When am I not?

Joe

None of this surprises me I do feel sorry for what happen to Carter. As has been said many times before Lou was crazy to sign Bernier and then sign Gionta to a 2 year one way contract before signing Carter. In the end it doesn't matter because all 3 wouldn't have a majomajor effect on the payoff standings.

Loved Carter, he was a good soldier and the few goals he scored were when it counted (and against the Rangers) haha.. But not much of a loss.

Tootoo did what he needed to do to make this team, Carter didn't; and he and Ruutu will make our 4th line better, there's really no other way to assess it.

If Henrique continues his upward trajectory, Ryder does indeed play better than he did last season (as we all noticed this camp), and with our additions, all four lines got considerably better. It's hard not to be excited for this season. People somehow upset about Carter are afraid of change, and sorry but *some* change is exactly what any team needs after missing the playoffs two season in a row.

• Like 1

Loved Carter, he was a good soldier and the few goals he scored were when it counted (and against the Rangers) haha.. But not much of a loss.

Tootoo did what he needed to do to make this team, Carter didn't; and he and Ruutu will make our 4th line better, there's really no other way to assess it.

If Henrique continues his upward trajectory, Ryder does indeed play better than he did last season (as we all noticed this camp), and with our additions, all four lines got considerably better. It's hard not to be excited for this season. People somehow upset about Carter are afraid of change, and sorry but *some* change is exactly what any team needs after missing the playoffs two season in a row.

I'm upset to see Carter go, but it's because the things I remember about his tenure with the team are his big goals in the 2012 run and how he seemed to always up his game when we would play the Rangers. When I sit back and think logically, I realize that his impact on the team was not great and losing him will not affect us. That being said, I still would have rather had him over Tootoo and Gionta, though I realize that Tootoo is here to fill a role that no one else on the team can really play with Clowe's health issues and Janssen's lack of skills. Carter tried valiantly to fill that role while he was here, especially more recently, but he was never and will never be an enforcer type like Tootoo is.

I'm upset to see Carter go, but it's because the things I remember about his tenure with the team are his big goals in the 2012 run and how he seemed to always up his game when we would play the Rangers. When I sit back and think logically, I realize that his impact on the team was not great and losing him will not affect us. That being said, I still would have rather had him over Tootoo and Gionta, though I realize that Tootoo is here to fill a role that no one else on the team can really play with Clowe's health issues and Janssen's lack of skills. Carter tried valiantly to fill that role while he was here, especially more recently, but he was never and will never be an enforcer type like Tootoo is.

The "quintessential Carter moment" to me will forever be....

Rangers-Devils-3-fights-on-opening-faceo

20120319_ryancarter_stubickel_446w.jpg

WARRIOR - And for the record, regardless of the cut he sustained, I thought he won the fight

rangers-beat-bloody-devils-4-2.jpg