Preseason GDT Rags @ Devs 7pm MSG Plus

lazer

Larsson was very impressive tonight. I hope we see more of that this season.

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me (including DeBoer), but I really hope Gionta isn't in the starting lineup on Thursday. He's a fine 4th liner, but other options seem much better, and he lacks any raw talent. With Carter and Bernier as his linemates, he seemed to fit very well. Now that the last spot is going to be between Ruutu and Brunner, I would like to have a player there who has a bit better vision, passes well and can shoot (and is also in position more often than not). It seems like the Devils are going with 4 lines that can all score this season, so I'm not seeing why Gionta is the best option here. I suppose I understand that Tootoo, Gomez, and Carter aren't likely to take a spot on the 4th line since the Devils probably will avoid signing someone if possible. But Josefson, who has a similar contract to Gionta, seems like a better fit for that line. Too bad he didn't have a very good preseason this year. I did think he looked good with Brunner and Ruutu though.

Also, remember when we were going into a season (was it just last season?) with CBGB as our third line? Glad that's not happening again.

1333727875_08.jpg

Rugitoo line looks good

Gionta must look so tiny out there with those guys though. I mean the figurines, not Ruutu and Tootoo lol. I really shouldn't say anything since I'm probably just as short as he is, but I'm also not a professional hockey player going up against 6'2" 225lb opponents every night. Actually...that's just another reason I shouldn't be talking, d'oh. Edited by ATLL765

I only saw the first 2 periods but I wasn't impressed with Larsson at all but for one play - Hagelin dumped it in his corner and went to go get it.  I of course expected Hagelin to win the puck clean, since Larsson is slow, but Larsson managed to skate stride for stride with him and made life difficult for him.  Other than that, Larsson criticized his own play in the post game and I think he's right - his zone coverage was real bad, at least in the first half of the game.

I only saw the first 2 periods but I wasn't impressed with Larsson at all but for one play - Hagelin dumped it in his corner and went to go get it. I of course expected Hagelin to win the puck clean, since Larsson is slow, but Larsson managed to skate stride for stride with him and made life difficult for him. Other than that, Larsson criticized his own play in the post game and I think he's right - his zone coverage was real bad, at least in the first half of the game.

I thought he improved as the game went along, he had a good third period.

I only saw the first 2 periods but I wasn't impressed with Larsson at all but for one play - Hagelin dumped it in his corner and went to go get it. I of course expected Hagelin to win the puck clean, since Larsson is slow, but Larsson managed to skate stride for stride with him and made life difficult for him. Other than that, Larsson criticized his own play in the post game and I think he's right - his zone coverage was real bad, at least in the first half of the game.

That's funny I noted the same play. Other than that he was terrible in his own end.

I think he is really feeling the heat from Seversen.