Scott Clemmensen "Wins" The Backup Job

devilsrule33

Was there ever a competition? I always thought he would be the backup, but this wasn't even a competition. If they had such little faith in Kinkaid as a backup, why bring in Clemmensen (arguably the worst goalie in the NHL over the past two seasons), instead of someone who can actually play? Brodeur insurance?

I'd feel more comfortable with them calling Brodeur today than Clemmensen actually. A 37-year-old backup goalie that was never good to begin with. But once again, Lou "knows" Scott. He knows the goalie of 6 seasons ago that had a nice year. What about the one that has been fvcking awful for the past two.

Edited by devilsrule33

Was there ever a competition? I always thought he would be the backup, but this wasn't even a competition. If they had such little faith in Kinkaid as a backup, why bring in Clemmensen (arguably the worst goalie in the NHL over the past two seasons), instead of someone who can actually play? Brodeur insurance?

I'd feel more comfortable with them calling Brodeur today than Clemmensen actually. A 37-year-old backup goalie that was never good to begin with. But once again, Lou "knows" Scott. He knows the goalie of 6 seasons ago that had a nice year. What about the one that has been fvcking awful for the past two.

Meh. I think the difference between Kinkaid and Clemmensen is overstated. Neither one will have THAT much of an impact if Schneider stays healthy

Meh. I think the difference between Kinkaid and Clemmensen is overstated. Neither one will have THAT much of an impact if Schneider stays healthy

The difference probably is negligible. But this team is royally fvcked if Schneider gets hurt. I also think 70-72 games is too many games if he is healthy. Clemmensen should have never been brought in.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&year_min=2013&year_max=2014&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&birth_country=&franch_id=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=G&handed=&c1stat=save_pct&c1comp=lt&c1val=.900&c2stat=games_goalie&c2comp=gt&c2val=20&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=save_pct

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Like 1

Nabokov was the guy to get as a backup. Lou was asleep at the wheel though and once again went down the ex-Devil road again.

I'm hoping Clemmer can at least be a .905 backup for us in the 15-17 or so starts he would be slated to get. But that might be too much for him at this point

I was OK (not thrilled, but OK) with Clemmer being signed as depth, but It's very disappointing that Kinkaid didn't get the job.  Based on the last two seasons, it's just about impossible to think Clemmer's going to do much with whatever playing time he gets...I thought he was supposed to be more a last resort.

The Devils have one back to back in October.  That's the only game that Clemmensen might play this month.  They have 5 back to backs in November, and we might see Kinkaid then if Clemmensen falters.  So yeah I feel bad that Kinkaid won't get an NHL paycheck but I'm glad he's getting actual ice time.  If it was a non-competition, Clemmensen would have a one-way contract.  He doesn't.

Why would Nabokov sign here?  The Devils want to give their starter 65-70 games, maybe more.  

Edited by Triumph

The Devils have one back to back in October.  That's the only game that Clemmensen might play this month.  They have 5 back to backs in November, and we might see Kinkaid then if Clemmensen falters.  So yeah I feel bad that Kinkaid won't get an NHL paycheck but I'm glad he's getting actual ice time.  If it was a non-competition, Clemmensen would have a one-way contract.  He doesn't.

Why would Nabokov sign here?  The Devils want to give their starter 65-70 games, maybe more.  

It's possible the non one-way was in case Brodeur was ready to come to NJ as a backup. The issue for me is why Lou possibly thought Clemmensen was a good option as a backup. If he was not an ex-Devil, he would be out of this league. You can't be as bad as Clemmensen has been and get an NHL job. But this is what Lou does now...

Not a huge deal.  Things will likely change throughout the season.  Clemmensen might be lucky to get one or two starts the first month of the season.  Kinkaid would just be sitting and not staying sharp.  Remember, Kinkaid is not really a typical backup.  Playing semi-consistently at Albany would be best in the short term.  Clemmensen is used to the backup role and how to condition/wait.

I don't construe this as Lou and Deboer still having heads in the sand on certain things.  What they do with the forwards however is another story that should be watched over.

It's possible the non one-way was in case Brodeur was ready to come to NJ as a backup. The issue for me is why Lou possibly thought Clemmensen was a good option as a backup. If he was not an ex-Devil, he would be out of this league. You can't be as bad as Clemmensen has been and get an NHL job. But this is what Lou does now...

Yeah, Lou has never brought in an ex-Devil who can't make it as a backup 

Look, the Devils could've signed someone like Dan Ellis to a two-way, but they had 3 options this off-season:

A:  Sign a veteran backup goaltender to a one-way contract

B:  Do not sign a veteran, go with Kinkaid

C:  Sign a veteran to a 2 way, have a camp battle

He knows that Clemmensen understands what his role is and I will be shocked if Clemmensen does not play any AHL games this year.  It's not easy to get a guy to agree to this sort of arrangement and I imagine having experience in the organization is a big part of getting someone to do that.

Eh, as Tri said, this just makes it easy to call up Kinkaid in November, after he gets some AHL games. I'd be willing to be if Kinkaid sh!ts the bed and Clemmer's as expected, we can get SOMEONE then.

Look, the Devils could've signed someone like Dan Ellis to a two-way, but they had 3 options this off-season:

He knows that Clemmensen understands what his role is and I will be shocked if Clemmensen does not play any AHL games this year.  It's not easy to get a guy to agree to this sort of arrangement and I imagine having experience in the organization is a big part of getting someone to do that.

Schwab was actually fine for us his second time around, until he started getting hurt and couldn't play in 2004.

They can always hook Clemmensen if he has a bad game or two, especially if Kinkaid's doing well in Albany.  This is really not the big deal people want to make it out to be.

Clemmensen shouldn't have been brought in and Kinkaid was too big a risk IMO. Lou should have gotten a backup with better potential like Chad Johnson from the Bruins. But with the moves Lou made he had little choice but to avoid the risk of playing Kinkaid.

If you're Chad Johnson are you going to sign somewhere you'll get maybe 15 games or are you going to sign somewhere you'll get 25-30 games?

Based on the last two seasons, it's just about impossible to think Clemmer's going to do much with whatever playing time he gets.

..why don't we just completely focus on his time with New Jersey, and ignore the multiple seasons Clemmer played in Florida? Just pretend they never happened. WE DO THE SAME WITH DEBOER! lol.. ::zing::

I get you are tired of reading a lot of crap from some fans complaining for the sake of complaining or being upset because they think their Devils should be great forever, but bringing back Cory Schwab is a lot different. You are allowed to criticize Lou now and again. If the team stays the way it is, I'm ready to for a lengthy post about how disappointed I am.

As for that example, Schwab was 5 years younger. The 2003 and 2004 Devils were two of the best defensive teams ever. If this was Scott Clemmensen of 4 or 5 years ago backing up Brodeur in 2003 with that defense, I wouldn't care either. We'd be talking about 5 or 6 games, anyway. Back then, to find Brodeur's backup, you had to find a goalie that might not get a single NHL job otherwise.

Cory Schneider should not be getting 72 games this season. He might have to. But he shouldn't.

Edited by devilsrule33

I get you are tired of reading a lot of crap from some fans complaining for the sake of complaining or being upset because they think their Devils should be great forever, but bringing back Cory Schwab is a lot different. You are allowed to criticize Lou now and again. If the team stays the way it is, I'm ready to for a lengthy post about how disappointed I am.

As for that example, Schwab was 5 years younger. The 2003 and 2004 Devils were two of the best defensive teams ever. If this was Scott Clemmensen of 4 or 5 years ago backing up Brodeur in 2003 with that defense, I wouldn't care either. We'd be talking about 5 or 6 games, anyway. Back then, to find Brodeur's backup, you had to find a goalie that might not get a single NHL job otherwise.

Cory Schneider should not be getting 72 games this season. He might have to. But he shouldn't.

Schwab was younger, but he had no track record of NHL success.  Why should Brodeur have gotten 77 games but it's not okay for Schneider to get 72?  What is the difference?  

If they signed a legitimate backup, they would've had to give him backup games and a backup salary.  I wouldn't've minded it, but it would've meant another year of Kinkaid definitely in the minors barring an injury.  

Schwab was younger, but he had no track record of NHL success.  Why should Brodeur have gotten 77 games but it's not okay for Schneider to get 72?  What is the difference?  

If they signed a legitimate backup, they would've had to give him backup games and a backup salary.  I wouldn't've minded it, but it would've meant another year of Kinkaid definitely in the minors barring an injury.  

I am not saying I agree with it. He definitely shouldn't have gotten 77 games. It was just known that Brodeur was getting that amount of games. And wasn't it confirmed that it would be discussed well in advance with Brodeur when he'd get his games off. He ran the show. Cory won't be.

I thought there were some quotes that they felt Kinkaid would be ready. Wonder what he showed in camp that showed he might not be. He was not worse than Clemmensen in the games.

What the Devils want and what Cory is capable of is two separate things. Do we know Schneider can handle 70+ games? few can

Nabokov is a backup in Tampa just as he would be a backup here. Only here wouldn't be such a huge uproot for him