It's Official: Tootoo signed to a one-year, one-way deal, gets#20

Derlique

Don't really get all the Harrold hate.  He proved to be a pretty effective seventh defenseman.  I would much rather have him in that role than Sheldon Brookbank who actually managed to land that gig on the Blackhawks.

It's the NHL GameCenter and NHL Center Ice tv ads that show Harrold getting smashed in each commercial. It's bleeding into everyone's subconscious.

A lot of respect for Jordin. He came in showed what he was about and won a spot. He will certainly bring some grit to the team. Rangers and flyers games will be interesting. He seems like a guy who will feed off that energy. At the same time I think it's only a matter of time before he does something stupid on ice.

A lot of respect for Jordin. He came in showed what he was about and won a spot. He will certainly bring some grit to the team. Rangers and flyers games will be interesting. He seems like a guy who will feed off that energy. At the same time I think it's only a matter of time before he does something stupid on ice.

Yeah i hate when that kind of guys (especially Janssen, he'd ALWAYS do it) gets a chance and you can tell they are on the bench waiting and waiting, knowing they want to lay a huge check or something to make a statement. And when they get on the ice they force it instead of waiting for the right occasion and more often than not they get a penalty. 

Man did Janssen ever did that often... we could call it beforehand too

Tootoo is gonna do dangerous stuff on the ice but he's had a positive penalty differential every year so far - he draws more penalties than he commits.

To me this is the only real significant stat for a player like this.

I wonder if that was true for Carter.

To me this is the only real significant stat for a player like this.

I wonder if that was true for Carter.

It wasn't - last year Carter drew more penalties than he took, but the 2 years before that he committed more than he drew - in 2011-12 he committed twice as many as he drew.  

Tootoo is gonna do dangerous stuff on the ice but he's had a positive penalty differential every year so far - he draws more penalties than he commits.

penalties stats too are useless when you ignore the timing of the penalty which is the biggest thing. It's yet another thing you can't simply look at numbers and see if it's positive or not. You always have to take situations in considerations which is kind of hard in some cases.

You get a fighting major and a hooking early in a game vs taking a bad roughing penalty in the offensive zone in OT or late in a game. Makes ALL the difference in the world

Edited by SterioDesign

penalties stats too are useless when you ignore the timing of the penalty which is the biggest thing. It's yet another thing you can't simply look at numbers and see if it's positive or not. You always have to take situations in considerations which is kind of hard in some cases.

You get a fighting major and a hooking early in a game vs taking a bad roughing penalty in the offensive zone in OT or late in a game. Makes ALL the difference in the world

No and no. Using your logic, there is no player in the NHL that plays a style that allows him to take bad penalties in the 1st period only and never in the 3rd. Also, fighting majors have nothing to do with penalties drawn or taken.

Of course, a bad penalty in the 1st period is just as bad as a penalty in the 3rd. It's like saying a goalie lets in bad 1st period goals, but he has a great 3rd. All what matters is the entire picture. 

Edited by devilsrule33

No and no. Using your logic, there is no player in the NHL that plays a style that allows him to take bad penalties in the 1st period only and never in the 3rd. Also, fighting majors have nothing to do with penalties drawn or taken.

Of course, a bad penalty in the 1st period is just as bad as a penalty in the 3rd. It's like saying a goalie lets in bad 1st period goals, but he has a great 3rd. All what matters is the entire picture. 

I don't agree at all. Of course you should never take penalties and it's always a disadvantage that's obvious and on paper if you draw more than you get it technically "should" be good.

There is still some bad timing to get penalties and players knows that and there's players who tend to get them at the worst time. You get a penalty early in the game when it's 0-0, you kill it and it's fine. You're trailing 3-2 and there's 1:30 left in the game. And you get a bad penalty... yeah, you're strapping yourself there. Thats a worst timing than early in the game cause you'll always have the whole game to recover from it compare to late in 3rd or in OT.

I don't agree at all. Of course you should never take penalties and it's always a disadvantage that's obvious and on paper if you draw more than you get it technically "should" be good.

There is still some bad timing to get penalties and players knows that and there's players who tend to get them at the worst time. You get a penalty early in the game when it's 0-0, you kill it and it's fine. You're trailing 3-2 and there's 1:30 left in the game. And you get a bad penalty... yeah, you're strapping yourself there. Thats a worst timing than early in the game cause you'll always have the whole game to recover from it compare to late in 3rd or in OT.

The timing is not the biggest thing, though.  The penalties are the biggest thing.  Sure, *some* penalties happen at critical times late in the 3rd period, but most don't.  Most happen whenever and they're bad and they make it more likely that your team will lose the game.  And I don't think players have a ton of control over taking or not taking penalties at critical times.

The timing is not the biggest thing, though. The penalties are the biggest thing. Sure, *some* penalties happen at critical times late in the 3rd period, but most don't. Most happen whenever and they're bad and they make it more likely that your team will lose the game. And I don't think players have a ton of control over taking or not taking penalties at critical times.

The phenomenon I suppose is possible. You would, however, have to take a long look to determine if someone tends to draw or take penalties more often during garbage time. But otherwise, if you're looking at trends, a penalty, is a penalty is a penalty over a long enough time period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The timing is not the biggest thing, though.  The penalties are the biggest thing.  Sure, *some* penalties happen at critical times late in the 3rd period, but most don't.  Most happen whenever and they're bad and they make it more likely that your team will lose the game.  And I don't think players have a ton of control over taking or not taking penalties at critical times.

thats fair and of course for all we know you may get a shorthanded goals out of a bad penalty.

But i coached and played and there's indeed some really worst timing to get penalties where it drains the life out of the team or put you in a very very very bad position.

It's all about what the score is and the time left in the game.

But anyway thats my opinion and you guys don't have to share it

This reminds me of the logic my younger brother once tried to use to convince me that the 2nd out in a baseball inning was the most important one to get. He claimed that when you have two outs, you only need one more so it's most important to get the second out.

Yeah I still make fun of him today for that.