#89 Outscores Devils

Z-Man

Just to go on the record, I'd rather be 7-3-0-0 without #89 than have Toronto's record with him..... :lol:

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/gamecenter/r...20021105_TB@TOR

Mogilny's hat trick sends Lightning to third straight loss

Nov. 5, 2002

SportsLine.com wire reports

TORONTO -- The Toronto Maple Leafs completed a horrible homestand with a much-needed win.

Alexander Mogilny scored three goals, including the game-winner with 2:22 to play, as Toronto rallied for a 4-3 victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday night.

The Maple Leafs, often booed in recent games, finished their seven-game homestand 2-4-1.

"It would have been awful walking out tonight if we hadn't bounced back," coach and general manager Pat Quinn said. "Those players should feel good about themselves tonight because all of us have been beating up on them pretty good. They needed something good to happen."

After tying the game at 1 in the second period, Mogilny tied it at 2 early in the third and then gave the Maple Leafs their first lead by firing a slap shot off goalie Nikolai Khabibulin's glove.

"It feels awesome," Mogilny said.

Mogilny, who got his 16th career hat trick, said his team should have played better on the homestand, which included losses to the lowly Florida Panthers and New York Rangers. Toronto also tied the league-worst Atlanta Thrashers.

"It's not acceptable," Mogilny said. "We should have had a better result."

Quinn thought a supportive crowd made a difference.

"The crowd was really with us tonight and that helped a lot," he said.

Ed Belfour, who hasn't been as good as departed free agent Curtis Joseph, made 34 saves, including several impressive stops.

"It was a huge confidence builder not only for myself, but for the team," said Belfour, who will play against his former club, the Dallas Stars, on Friday night.

Brad Richards scored and had an assist for the Lightning, who went 0-3 on their road trip.

"We should have won," Khabibulin said. "There was no excuse for the fourth goal. It's hard to lose a game like that. It was an awful road trip."

Sheldon Keefe's shot over Belfour's left shoulder gave Tampa Bay a 1-0 lead at 8:40 of the first.

Mogilny tied it at 1 with his sixth goal after catching a pass with his glove and quickly firing a shot past Khabibulin.

After struggling Toronto defenseman Bryan McCabe turned the puck over, Andre Roy scored as he tripped over Belfour's stick.

Mogilny's one-timer from the side of the net tied it at 2 at 2:25 of the third, but Richards -- alone in front of the net -- gave Tampa Bay the lead by shooting a rebound past Belfour at 8:13 of the third.

Darcy Tucker then tied it at 14:46 of the third after gathering a shot from the point, turning and firing a shot past Khabibulin.

Notes:

- Mogilny has eight goals this season.

- Toronto Raptors general manager Glen Grunwald sat two seats from Vince Carter's mom.

- Sweden's women's hockey team attended the game.

- Former Maple Leafs player Borge Salming also attended.

- Tucker scored his 100th career goal.

Effort last night did suck, I don't know why it took being down 1 goal with 10:00 left to wake the team up. It's almost like they expected to win.

Not good.

Very true, last night wasn't one of their better efforts and yet again they make a back up goalie look like Roy :P . I imagine they won't be lackluster against the Cryer$ though.

You know even if NJ DID play really well vs. Philthy and still lost, there'd be tons of "We suck and can't beat the good teams" spew on this board so I'm praying to god we DO win for that reason alone :wacko:

Last night wasn't as bad as last year...but my husband did say - if they make you so unhappy why are you watching...(Of course he had already made fun of me for pouting in front of a scrambled picture) Fact is they weren't that awful -- it was just ..well - it was no fun. Even when they scored it wasn't that great feeling. The last ten minutes was just like last year actually i should say...that so sucked. And then Chico - fer goodness sake...now THAT'S a Pollyanna ESB!

This is a Mogilny Thread. Time to put something out here that some fans might have overlooked a couple of years ago.

I found a Playoff Stat sheet from Games Thru April 29, 2001

Devils Team Leaders

Alexander Mogilny 8 GP 4-6-10 +10

Bobby Holik 8 GP 4-5-9 +3

Scott Gomez 8 GP 3-6-9 +9

Randy McKay 8 GP 4-2-6 +3

Sergei Brylin 8 GP 2-3-5 +4

Patrik Elias 8 GP 2-3-5 +1

Petr Sykora 8 GP 2-2-4 +2

Brian Rafalski 8 GP 2-1-3 +5

John Madden 8 GP 1-2-3 +3

Scott Niedermayer 8 GP 0-3-3 +7

Jason Arnott 7 GP 1-1-2 -2

derek- not overlooked by most. everyone knew he had a good series vs. Canes and was extremely important vs. Leafs early in that series. It was that he was invisible vs. Pitts (didn't really matter) and non-existant vs. Avs. pp clicked early and gomez and he were in the zone.

i don't think there's one person on this board who wouldn't love to have mogilny. but we don't. he wanted a no-trade and his contract, at the time, was not something lou was prepared to give him. i have no problem with that.