This Chris Pronger thing

roomtemp

For those not in the know apparently the NHL hired Chris Pronger to work in player safety department (yeah I know the logic is takes one to know one I guess) despite still getting checks from the Flyers. And he won't be forced to retire to take the job nor will the cap situation for the Flyers change.

My question is why is the NHL destroying more of its credibility for Chris Pronger in an adversary role? Will he make that much of a difference

This is ridiculous. How can they allow him to work for the NHL in a position that's clearly a full time job and also is as visible as the Player Safety Department is? It was already pretty clear the guy was never going to play hockey again and that having him on the roster and LTIR was a sham, but this is over the top blatant.

This is ridiculous. How can they allow him to work for the NHL in a position that's clearly a full time job and also is as visible as the Player Safety Department is? It was already pretty clear the guy was never going to play hockey again and that having him on the roster and LTIR was a sham, but this is over the top blatant.

How is it a sham for an injured player - a player who cannot physically play in the NHL - to be on LTIR?  You may disagree with him being involved with Player Safety - and it is expressly forbidden in the CBA  that a player should be employed by a team and work for the league at the same time - but he's not going to play hockey again.  It is fully within his rights to collect whatever money is due him for having an NHL contract.

I feel like it's been long enough since Pronger played that I'm OK with it. It's a public enough job that any bias will show. 

As for him being a dirty player... yeah it's a weird choice. He also lost time out of his career to a head injury so I would think he'd bring that perspective too.

How is it a sham for an injured player - a player who cannot physically play in the NHL - to be on LTIR? You may disagree with him being involved with Player Safety - and it is expressly forbidden in the CBA that a player should be employed by a team and work for the league at the same time - but he's not going to play hockey again. It is fully within his rights to collect whatever money is due him for having an NHL contract.

I didn't realize that a player that has sustained a career ending injury could remain on LTIR for the duration of their contract. You know the CBA better than I do so I'm sure I'm wrong then. My mistake. Still mad he can work for the league while on the roster though, that's total bs.

What's the difference? Why in the world would I give a crap about this?

If I were a Flyers fan and was upset about the cap impact, that's different. I could see that being annoying.

But should he not have that job because he was a dirty player? One has nothing to do with the other. He's more than capable of reviewing incident film.

Edited by mfitz804

IMO, he shouldn't be able to work for the league while on the roster of an NHL team. It just has the appearance of impropriety. At the very least, he should be recusing himself from any decisions involving the Flyers and every team in their division until his contract with the team expires.

I agree with this. As long as he's drawing a paycheck from an NHL team, he shouldn't be working for the league. Period.

Wouldn't this be a conflict of interest?  How can you be part of a team making decisions that would effect teams your competing against?

I wonder what would happen if by some miracle he is able to play again, and if he assured the league he can't play agian then why wouldn't they force him to retire?  Also isn't collusion to have a understanding with the league that he won't play again?

I could understand a job in the offices with the Flyers but not with the league.

There is no chance that Chris Pronger plays another game of NHL hockey.  His injuries are well documented, and they will not permit him to play hockey ever again.  Now should he be allowed to have anything to do with anything that involves the Flyers, for the next 2 years?  No, he shouldn't. 

There is no chance that Chris Pronger plays another game of NHL hockey.  His injuries are well documented, and they will not permit him to play hockey ever again.  Now should he be allowed to have anything to do with anything that involves the Flyers, for the next 2 years?  No, he shouldn't. 

He should be allowed to work for the NHL if he is no longer employed by a team.   The league should require his formal retirement in order to take this position. Pronger can't have his cake and eat it too just because his retirement will kill the Flyers cap.   That's bs.

Edited by pattyelias

He should be allowed to work for the NHL if he is no longer employed by a team.   The league should require his formal retirement in order to take this position. Pronger can't have his cake and eat it too just because his retirement will kill the Flyers cap.   That's bs.

He is due a payment of $4 million this year that if he retires he will not receive.  That is why Pronger will not retire, not because of the Flyers' cap.

Where would the conflict of interest really be here? Working in the department means what exactly? Dealing with equipment companies create safer gear? Talking about concussions? What are his actual duties?

Because in his role he will be involved in making decisions on player discipline/suspensions and other matters. That clearly is a conflict of interest as it relates to any Flyers players as he is still a paid employee of the team. If I'm a GM for any other Metro Division team, I would also argue that the conflict presents itself as to his determination of supplemental discipline for their players based upon how his decisions may affect the playoff seedings within the division which could, in theory, turn out to benefit the Flyers.

Which of course Snider is more than willing to pay because the alternative is a cap nightmare for Philly.

The alternative is Pronger retiring.  If Alex Mogilny had retired in 2006-07 he wouldn't've gotten paid but he would've created a cap nightmare for the Devils.  His career was also over.

He is due a payment of $4 million this year that if he retires he will not receive.  That is why Pronger will not retire, not because of the Flyers' cap.

And he has the right to "keep playing." I get preferring a $4 mil paycheck to what must be a much smaller one from the NHL, but we make decisions in life. If he's that dedicated to player safety, or bored doing nothing, he needs to retire and commit to this new job. If he cares more about the money (and i don't begrudge him that, he has a family, and having seen how fast guys with head injuries can see their health deteriorate, he should be concerned about their future), he should wait to take the NHL job. I don't really fault HIM for doing both, though I always thought he was a spoiled brat, and don't like him, the league is clearly giving him special treatment, and shouldn't. Even if they think he's the only guy ever who can handle player safety, they can't let him collect two paychecks from different factions of the same company while only working for one. Especially since his employment by one faction has the potential to affect his ability to perform his duty toward the other.