This Chris Pronger thing

roomtemp

And he has the right to "keep playing." I get preferring a $4 mil paycheck to what must be a much smaller one from the NHL, but we make decisions in life. If he's that dedicated to player safety, or bored doing nothing, he needs to retire and commit to this new job. If he cares more about the money (and i don't begrudge him that, he has a family, and having seen how fast guys with head injuries can see their health deteriorate, he should be concerned about their future), he should wait to take the NHL job. I don't really fault HIM for doing both, though I always thought he was a spoiled brat, and don't like him, the league is clearly giving him special treatment, and shouldn't. Even if they think he's the only guy ever who can handle player safety, they can't let him collect two paychecks from different factions of the same company while only working for one. Especially since his employment by one faction has the potential to affect his ability to perform his duty toward the other.

I mean, I really don't think it has any more influence than a player's history with a team in general.  Pronger isn't attending team meetings with the Flyers.  He might not even have anything to do with the team anymore.  He's not working towards a 2nd contract with the Flyers.  And he has no autonomy in his current position.

I think if his contract was not a 35+, few people here would have an issue with this, because it would benefit the Flyers' cap situation to have him retire.

He is not going to be involved with any Flyers issues so where is the conflict?

My criteria is simple re: conflict of interest. Are you collecting a paycheck from Party A? Yes? Okay, so when your new job with Party B could affect Party A, it's a conflict of interest.

That's like collecting worker's comp from a notorious big city contractor, and getting hired simultaneously by the city as a code inspector.

Because it could be said that any decision by the league, even on players on other teams, has an effect on the Flyers.

My criteria is simple re: conflict of interest. Are you collecting a paycheck from Party A? Yes? Okay, so when your new job with Party B could affect Party A, it's a conflict of interest.

That's like collecting worker's comp from a notorious big city contractor, and getting hired simultaneously by the city as a code inspector.

He does not have the final decision making powers so I don't agree re conflict. As for a person collecting two pay checks at the same time that is done all the time.

He does not have the final decision making powers so I don't agree re conflict. As for a person collecting two pay checks at the same time that is done all the time.

He can influence the final decision though and he could, hypothetically, use that influence to give the Flyers an advantage.

He can influence the final decision though and he could, hypothetically, use that influence to give the Flyers an advantage.

This is true after he retires, though.  He gets paid by the Flyers regardless of what he does and again he can't earn another contract with them as a player.

It was much, much worse when the head of discipline had his son in the NHL.

This is true after he retires, though.  He gets paid by the Flyers regardless of what he does and again he can't earn another contract with them as a player.

It was much, much worse when the head of discipline had his son in the NHL.

Oh it is but this instance is just so unnecessary and easily avoidable but yet they create this perceived conflict of interest that flushes more credibility down the toilet.

Its more like if they can't see how this looks bad from the inside who knows what actual shady sh!t they're excusing on the inside

Edited by roomtemp

Why are you and others so worried about this?&

I am sure this has all been thought threw throughly.

Do we watch the same NHL? At least Goodell isn't our commissioner, but we haven't exactly been blessed with logic or fairness from the NHL front office.

I think it's important to remember the 'The Flyers' themselves aren't paying Pronger. The insurance company that had the policy to cover Pronger's contract is paying Pronger. A team giving out a huge contract will always cover it with an insurance policy in case of something like the concussions Pronger suffered happen and he cannot play.

So, Pronger gets his check and the Flyers aren't involved. I see no reason for Pronger to owe any more loyalty to the Flyers than he does to the Blues or the Ducks. He moved out of Haddonfield and back to St. Louis so he isn't local anymore. The only real issue I see here is the Flyers not being able to get out from under that 4.9mil cap hit for this season and 2 more - that is a tough pill to swallow for Philly. I know Philly doesn't wish him anything but the best, but getting out from under that cap hit would certainly make them a different team and they know it (we ALL know it).

As for the NHL job, I don't think it was a good idea for a number of reasons. I seriously doubt he will be making any decisions at all by himself (except when the menus go around the office at noon) so I don't know that there will be any real conflict of interest. That said, if he isn't running the department, what is he exactly, a gofer? Someone who is going to go over tapes daily to determine what needs to be looked at by the head of the department? Call me crazy, but I don't see how a guy suffering post-concussion syndrome makes a good choice to sit in front of a wall of TV monitors on a regular basis. Is he going to be some sort of liaison with equipment manufacturers? Clearly a background in engineering or physiology would be more valuable there than the ability to clear the puck out of the zone.

So, what exactly does he bring to the NHL Department of Player Safety that a ton of other people couldn't do instead, and likely better given his medical circumstances? There doesn't seem to be a good reason for his hiring other than the NHL wants another "name" working for them. Outside of PR I don't see the value in him for the league, and given the questions his hiring has brought up I think it's fair to say his value as a PR guy is questionable as well.

I don't have a problem with any of it personally; the man gets paid like his contract said he should, the Flyers pay the cap hit they are obligated to (like we pay Kovy's) and his presence in the league office will mean more Pronger autographs for the kids of the secretaries. No affect on us all in all (IMHO).

It honestly doesn't matter.

Pronger owes nothing to the Flyers...  it's not like if the Flyers don't like his work for the league they can suspend him and choose not to pay out his contract.        Pronger is no longer in the Flyers plans.    There should be a work around that allows for the career ending insurance payout while being disassociated from the team on paper.    I 100% that the bias could easily exist for the Blues, etc...   or against a player he doesn't like, does like, etc...      

There's no incentive for Pronger to rule favorably for the Flyers (or by ruling harder against divisional rivals, etc).

it is expressly forbidden in the CBA  that a player should be employed by a team and work for the league at the same time.

I'm confused. 

It sounds like you're saying Flyers are fine to keep him on the payroll if he chooses not to retire - I agree.

If he's never playing hockey again, a condition presumably covered on the LTIR  -- then it is also fine is he takes this NHL job. 

What does "expressly forbidden to be employed by an NHL team and work for the league" mean?

Does LTIR not qualify as employment?  Or does "work for the league" not qualify is being employed by the league which Pronger IS.

Which position not defined as employment? 

Just so I understand - how are these two positions not mutually exclusive?  I'm missing a part of the rules I think.