GDT: New Jersey Devils VS Florida Panthers Game#2 10/11/14

2ELIAS6

Only Devils fans could argue with each other with the Devils being 2-0 and scoring 11 goals between the 2.

Yerp.. but I'm not one of them this time so it feels kinda weird to me.

Re: 4th line - Gionta's playing so long as he's healthy.  It pissess me off too but you guys might just as well accept it, because it's not changing.  Just wish he wouldn't see PK time.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

one of the managers at work (flyers fan who hasn't been in the office since the flyers-devils game) comes up to me and just says "dude the devils suck."

just in disbelief at this point. not only is it two games in so we shouldn't be judging who sucks and who doesn't, but cmon they beat your team and dominated the only other game we have played.

no logic with this breed

Just reply '1975 bitch' and they shut right the fvck up. Phailures fans are easy to handle like that. I know plenty of them. Edited by MadDog2020

This thread makes clear that a lot of people on this board really know nothing about hockey and come here just to hear themselves speak.

As a new member, I will readily admit, I don't know as much about hockey as many folks here. I never played as a kid, and didn't really start habitually watching it until 6-7 years ago. Was more of a casual fan before that.

I do know enough about sports, though, to know that you don't go benching players 2 games into an 82 game season, when you've won both games.

Tuesday against Tampa will be a real test for us. I think we can win, but not if we continue to make mistakes and give up penalties. Hopefully we can be more disciplined.

As someone who played a little hockey in high school and has watched the Devils every season since the late 80's I can easily admit that a lot of people on here know more about the game than I do. I never got into advanced stats and deep strategies. I have learned a lot since posting (reading) here. Most of my posts are just either me trying to be funny or talking about the philosophy of the organization.

Just read TG's recap... I really like sal's thinking when he took on Thornton. Rather than having a goon flying around trying to make something happen, just stage a fight to get him off the ice and diffuse the situation.

yea i almost forgot about Sal's scrap. didn't risk getting his jaw broken either, just took him right to the ground.  i'll give Sal credit where credit's due

As someone who played a little hockey in high school and has watched the Devils every season since the late 80's I can easily admit that a lot of people on here know more about the game than I do. I never got into advanced stats and deep strategies. I have learned a lot since posting (reading) here. Most of my posts are just either me trying to be funny or talking about the philosophy of the organization.

You may be the exception, there's a lot of guys on this board who think they have a better hockey mind than Lou Lamoriello, who is in the Hsll of Fame as a "builder".

Edited by mfitz804

I think he told TG that. That was at 3-0, though, and Tootoo had just seen his team blow a 3-0 lead the last game they played. Salvador fought Thornton at 4-0.

exactly, and the fight came right at the end of the period so it wasn't going to be a momentum shifter either way. Tootoo took enough penalties in the game that we shouldn't complain about him not indulging Thornton. At the same time sal as captain did the right think to diffuse Thornton while he could.

Where did you read that?

Rich Chere article dated 10/13/14. I did not mean anything in a negative way about Tootoo, I was saying Thorton was asking a number of players to fight. Tootoo being one and Tootoo wasn't willing to let momentum change at 3-0 after seeing the team let a 3-0 almost slip away in the Philly game. Sal stepped up later and did a terrific job taking Thorton on.

I said in the chat that when Salvador fought Thornton (which I thought was dumb), that Deboer would be raving about Salvador....and sure enough: 

“Credit to Sal for stepping up there,” DeBoer said. “That’s not an easy thing to do and against one of the toughest guys in the league. While we don’t have that type of presence, I think we have the type of character in the room that we can get that done by committee.

“Sal had no problem being the first guy in there. That’s one of the reasons he’s our captain.”

A coach can turn anything into a positive. That's exactly the same type of situation where a coach would tell a 4th line fighter to pick your spots better. Pete says credit to Sal, and I say credit to Tootoo for not engaging. Like Tootoo, Salvador just needs to say no Thornton there. There's only so many guys Thornton can ask to fight on this team. When you don't dress a designated fighter, those stage fights are not supposed to happen.  Just ignore these guys. 

I said in the chat that when Salvador fought Thornton (which I thought was dumb), that Deboer would be raving about Salvador....and sure enough: 

A coach can turn anything into a positive. That's exactly the same type of situation where a coach would tell a 4th line fighter to pick your spots better. Pete says credit to Sal, and I say credit to Tootoo for not engaging. Like Tootoo, Salvador just needs to say no Thornton there. There's only so many guys Thornton can ask to fight on this team. When you don't dress a designated fighter, those stage fights are not supposed to happen.  Just ignore these guys. 

disagree with you here. Sal clearly didn't want to actually throw down with Thornton.. hence why he took him down to the ice very quickly.

Sal taking Thornton out of the game was a solid move.  have to give Sal credit where it's due.

A coach can turn anything into a positive. That's exactly the same type of situation where a coach would tell a 4th line fighter to pick your spots better. Pete says credit to Sal, and I say credit to Tootoo for not engaging. Like Tootoo, Salvador just needs to say no Thornton there. There's only so many guys Thornton can ask to fight on this team. When you don't dress a designated fighter, those stage fights are not supposed to happen. Just ignore these guys.

You couldn't be any more wrong. Thornton has a job to do. He is gonna do it one way or the other. You don't want him running around the rink hitting guys or slashing guys, especially with the young guys on D. Tootoo was making sure he didn't make a massive mistake by engaging him. Shows good discipline. Sal not only stepped up to take on a real tough guy, but did it in a manner that didn't get him hurt or give them any momentum. Edited by hystyk28

You couldn't be any more wrong. Thornton has a job to do. He is gonna do it one way or the other. You don't want him running around the rink hitting guys or slashing guys, especially with the young guys on D. Tootoo was making sure he didn't make a massive mistake by engaging him. Shows good discipline. Sal not only stepped up to take on a real tough guy, but did it in a manner that didn't get him hurt or give them any momentum.

stop it! Salvador is the worst captain in the league and possibly of all time! He is an anchor that weighs down this team time after time and can not possibly do anything right, ever!

I read the Thornton had asked Tootoo earlier in the game and Tootoo said no.

You could see it play out in the game, Thornton got awful close to Tootoo after a couple hits they exchanged and it looked like he was ready to drop the gloves, but Tootoo went on with the play. Smart move.