Tough story on Michael Ryder's brother's mental issues

Jimmy Leeds

Wow, that's a really awful situation. I can only just barely wrap my head around what it must be like to see someone, especially a family member, go from completely normal to a shell of their former self due to mental illnesses like what is described in the story.

A high school gf of mine kinda lost control similarly, but not quite as drastically. She always had some issues, but when I saw her recently when she she asked me for help with a place to stay for a while, she was a totally different person. She would talk to herself, obsess over random objects and was prone to violent outbursts.

It was really sad to see someone I knew well and their personality be completely unrecognizable from the way I remembered years ago.

Mental illness is brutal. Luckily my family seems to have escaped it. But policing for 25 years, I saw it up front and it is bad. Some friends too, including a good friend of my wife who killed herself. She was married with 2 young kids. Dreadful.

It's the SHAME of mental illness that people need to get over - it's an embarrassment to a lot of families to admit someone they know and love has a mental issue that they wouldn't have if they had something like a kidney problem or chronic asthma or something. We all need to overcome that.

There's a desperate need for research into mental illness, and support for those who suffer from it; it's unfortunate that governments are able to quietly cut funding year after year because there is so little discussion of the cost to families, individuals, and society as a whole.

Hopefully someday something changes for Daniel and he can get better.

• Like 1

Mental illness is brutal. Luckily my family seems to have escaped it. But policing for 25 years, I saw it up front and it is bad. Some friends too, including a good friend of my wife who killed herself. She was married with 2 young kids. Dreadful.

My friend's mom killed herself a few years back, a few years after a divorce.

I used to be a teacher before doing my current job and talking a student out of doing something harmful to themselves was one of the scariest things I've ever had to do.

I have the utmost sympathy for families and individuals having to handle types of mental illness [whether it be from birth or developed later on in life].

• Like 1

sigh.. that is a painful read

We definitely don't know all the facts. Something caused that.

Not necessarily.  Late adolescence and early adulthood are the normal onset periods for things like schizophrenia.

Someone can have a completely normal childhood, grow to be an adult, then one day the voices start.

Not necessarily. Late adolescence and early adulthood are the normal onset periods for things like schizophrenia.

Someone can have a completely normal childhood, grow to be an adult, then one day the voices start.

Yep. Amanda Bynes comes to mind right away. She seemed perfectly normal, and then all of the sudden her behavior got stranger and stranger until you see what's happening with her right now. It's terrible.

Yep. Amanda Bynes comes to mind right away. She seemed perfectly normal, and then all of the sudden her behavior got stranger and stranger until you see what's happening with her right now. It's terrible.

not to make a joke of this but her character on All That was rather freaking telling....

not to make a joke of this but her character on All That was rather freaking telling....

Possibly foreshadowing there, but she was still acting from a script. Now the poor thing has seemingly lost the plot completely. She may be a catalyst for change in how we view folks with mental health issues; hopefully they don't simply lock her away or something. I know there are a lot of diseases and syndromes and such out there that require a share of the available research dollars, but few disciplines have lost as much ground as the fight to understand mental illness.