GDT: Game 3- Devils @ Lightning - 7:30 PM ET

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of breaks going the Devils' way right now, but I'll take 'em.

So great to see Cory just take the job and run with it, especially since the guy couldn't seem to catch a break early on last season (1-5-3, with the Devils getting shut out four times and held to one goal twice in 6 out of those 8 games). 

All small samples, can't make too much out of any of this so far, but I happily would've signed up for four or five points out of eight in a season-starting four-game trip, so suffice it to say I'm thrilled with the results.  And the Flyers and Rangers starting slowly is nice too, but they both started the same way last season and righted themselves, so I can't get too excited about them sucking.

I think NJ was getting outshot something like 8-0 in the first ten minutes and Schneider made a few fantastic saves to keep it scoreless. This game becomes 1 or 2-0 TB if Marty is in net. This is the type of game we lose in regulation or a shootout if we still had #30. Really nice to have elite goaltending again. It's been 5 years.

Meh, you don't really know that, but that was becoming the problem with Marty, especially the last couple of seasons...you didn't really know what you were going to get.  Marty could've played just as well as Schneider last night...then been awful in the next game or next few games.  It's just nice to have a goalie who's firmly in his prime who should be a consistently good-to-great puckstopper for at least the next 4-5 years.

Elias and Havlat sure made good use of their limited PP time. Please more of them and less of Ryder and Henrique.

Tootoo has been terrible. If you aren't going to go with Josefson next game, you are just being stubborn to the idea of a line that isn't really doing what you hoped for.

Cory Schneider. Really good.

Or stubborn to the belief you don't change a winning lineup.  They're 3-0 and playing extremely well, why would Pete change the lineup?  Even if's a perceived deck shuffling on the fourth line.

All I can say is amazing win

Cammy is turning out to be one of Lou's best signings of the past decade?  (Jagr as well for last season alone, singlehandedly made games worth watching)

I know it is early, but I like this team...A LOT

Schneider getting the bulk of the starts this year, combined with the youth infusion.....we are going to make some noise kids!

It's hard not to like this team. All 3 lines are unique and have something different to offer. And then the youth on defense and Schneider in his prime. It's hard not to believe in this team, I hope they can keep it up and be consistent. I think only potential injuries will continue to be the black cloud over this team, otherwise on paper, we can beat anyone.

Edited by DJ Eco

Meh, you don't really know that, but that was becoming the problem with Marty, especially the last couple of seasons...you didn't really know what you were going to get.  Marty could've played just as well as Schneider last night...then been awful in the next game or next few games.  It's just nice to have a goalie who's firmly in his prime who should be a consistently good-to-great puckstopper for at least the next 4-5 years.

I guess it's impossible to say with complete certainty, but if this was a Marty game last year, you're waiting for that backbreaking goal. The problem with Marty is that he let in the tough ones along with floating point shots from the point. You also can't tell me with a straight face that Marty gets to the wrap around chance that Ruutu and Cory stopped. I shouldn't sh!t on Brodeur, but I suppose I'm just giddy over having consistency in nets again

Really fun game to watch, Cammi has been awesome, just finds the puck at the right time...

Corey has been awesome, I expected noting less...

although I really like Severson, Larrrson not playing i driving me crazy...

barring injury and our waste of space captain, who at this point can you replace with Larsson?

Whomever said Cammy reminds you of Parise, I tend to think more of Gionta in 2006. Always around the net, pucks finding his stick... I love him so far. It's awesome.

I never liked the guy, especially his personality and not gonna be an hypocrite suddenly like him just cause he's on my team now but i'm surprise how well he's been playing on the PK, pressuring the guys and being relentless. If he can keep up like that it's gonna be a lot better for him cause he won't be seen just as a scorer. Cause when you're just a scorer, when you're having a streak of not scoring then you're useless.

with the home opener on Saturday, any chance they give Cory a rest for tomorrow's game against Washington?

Nah. It's still early in the year and he's getting the day off in between.

It is something to keep in mind as the season progresses.

Whereas in the past Devils fans were so used to seeing Marty play 60- to 70-odd games a season, the majority of NHL goaltenders aren't conditioned to handle that type of workload.

Cory might require a few additional games off, in order to stay fresh,

It's hard not to like this team. All 3 lines are unique and have something different to offer. And then the youth on defense and Schneider in his prime. It's hard not to believe in this team, I hope they can keep it up and be consistent. I think only potential injuries will continue to be the black cloud over this team, otherwise on paper, we can beat anyone.

that is really the only thing that worries me right now.. the amount of older injury prone players we have, if 2 or more of them go out we could be in serious trouble.

that is really the only thing that worries me right now.. the amount of older injury prone players we have, if 2 or more of them go out we could be in serious trouble.

They've been pretty lucky so far.. lots of teams losing some big pieces to significant injury.

I mean, obviously this team isn't going to stay healthy all year with the veteran players.. but, knock on wood, nothing major so far.