All Aboard The Severson Train

Triumph

This team would be in big trouble if they didn't have Severson doing what he's doing. They are getting nothing out of the Gelinas pairing at even strength.

Greene seems like he is missing a gear as well. He might have some kind of nagging injury. I havent seen this team get outworked down low in their own corners in quite a while.

Some love for Severson by McKenzie and Yost at TSN:

Another in the long line from the Kelowna Rocket defenceman factory (Scott Hannan, Josh Gorges, Duncan Keith, Luke Schenn, Sheldon Souray, Shea Weber, Kyle Cumiskey, Tyler Myers, Tyson Barrie, to name a few), Severson has put up flashy numbers – three goals, four points and plus-six in five games – while averaging almost 20 minutes per night alongside veteran partner Andy Greene on New Jersey's shutdown pair.
----
"Severson's possession numbers are eerily similar to Ekblad's. Through five games at just under 16 even-strength minutes a night, Severson is a 58.6 per cent Corsi% player with an impressive +14.4% RelativeCorsi%. That RelativeCorsi% number is actually ninth-best in the entire league amongst regular defencemen, with only established NHL'ers – notably Ryan Ellis (+19.6 per cent), Mark Giordano (+18.2 per cent), and Niklas Hjalmarsson (+15.8 per cent) – ahead of him. Perhaps the most impressive part is Severson (along with partner Greene) has been getting brutalized in the zone-start department, seeing just 33 per cent offensive zone starts."

• 4 weeks later...

Severson has tailed off in terms of his scoring, but he has a hockey sense far beyond what should be expected in a rookie with 20 or so games under his belt.

He is still shooting a whole heck of a lot though, and his shots get through which is good. I don't think anyone thought he was going to keep scoring goals every game. Still the most promising of all our young defensemen at this point.

I haven't seen it with severson lately. Yes, he's getting his shots but he and Greene have been ordinary at best lately - at least to the eye test.

I've said it before and I'll say it again now. Severson is playing average but you could not have expected him to play at such a high level for very long. Also, most of you seem to forget that a 19 year old playing 20+ minutes a game against top competition is amazing in itself, and he is the most composed dman we have when he plays the puck. This kid is going to be a fvcking stud.

He is still shooting a whole heck of a lot though, and his shots get through which is good. I don't think anyone thought he was going to keep scoring goals every game. Still the most promising of all our young defensemen at this point.

Exactly what I meant. Even though he's not scoring as he was, he clearly knows the game better than expected for someone with his limited experience. He seems to have that something that you really can't teach.

Severson has tailed off in terms of his scoring, but he has a hockey sense far beyond what should be expected in a rookie with 20 or so games under his belt.

Agreed.

A slight decline or normalization was to be expected, but he's definitely ahead of the curve.