GDT: Devils vs Sharks (10/18) Home Opener

Zubie#8

NHL.com Preview :

SHARKS (3-0-1) DEVILS (3-1-0)

NEWARK, N.J. -- San Jose Sharks right wing Tomas Hertl will have the opportunity to get up close and personal with a few of his teenage hockey idols when the Sharks play the New Jersey Devils at Prudential Center on Saturday.

The game marks the home opener for the Devils, who began the season with four straight on the road. The Sharks are in the midst of a five-game road trip along the East Coast; they will travel to Madison Square Garden to play the New York Rangers on Sunday before closing out the trip at TD Garden against the Boston Bruins on Tuesday.

Hertl, who happens to be the only player on the Sharks active roster born in the Czech Republic, will be playing against a Devils team that could have as many as four Czech natives in the lineup: Jaromir JagrPatrik EliasMarty Havlat andMarek Zidlicky. Havlat, who played a big role helping Hertl become acquainted to the NHL lifestyle as a member of the Sharks in 2013-14, is currently day-to-day with facial lacerations and his availability won't be determined until prior to puck drop.

Hertl said he has a huge poster of Jagr above his bed in his home in Praha.

"My home is all Jagr," Hertl said with a wide grin. "I like him because he's so strong and a strong skater. I strive to play the same style because I'm the same big [butt]. He's amazing and it's great to see how he plays at 42 years old. I still like the way he plays."

Hertl, who is facing the Devils for the first time in New Jersey, is unbeaten in three games against Jagr in his career. The Sharks defeated the Devils in San Jose on Nov. 23, 2013 and Hertl twice was on the WINNINGarrow-10x10.png end against Jagr when the two played against each other in the Czech league in 2012-13. Hertl starred for Slavia Praha and Jagr for Kladno during the NHL lockout.

They were also teammates for the fourth-place Czech Republic at the 2014 World Championship in Belarus.

"It's a great game for me because there are so many Czech guys for the Devils and they are all my friends," Hertl said.

San Jose coach Todd McLellan is confident Hertl will be able to harness that energy and perform well against the Devils. Hertl has two goals and a plus-4 rating in four games this season on the top line with left wing Joe Pavelski and center Joe Thornton.

"Tomas is a mature young man already; he's been around the League and has a good supporting cast in there," McLellan said. "I want him to be excited. I think that's a great thing when you can play against a guy of Jagr's caliber and be as young as you are. It's a great thing for Tomas. Hopefully, Jaromir leaves the rink talking about how Tomas' game is, and how good he will be in the future."

The Devils are 17-8-6 all-time in home openers, including 2-3-2 at Prudential Center. They lost a 4-3 shootout decision to the New York Islanders in their most recent home opener on Oct. 4, 2013.

Projected / Practice Lineups

NJD                                                                                                             SJ

Camm - Zajac - Jagr                                                                                Pavelski - Thornton - Hertl

Zubs - Elias - Brunner                                                                             Marleau - Couture - Nieto            

Clowe - Henrique - Ryder                                                                       Wingels - Tierney - McGinn

Ruutu - Gionta - Tootoo                                                                           Burish - Desjardins - Hayes

Greene - Severson                                                                                   Vlasic - Braun

Salvador - Zid                                                                                             Mueller - Burns

Gelinas - Merril                                                                                          Hannan - Irwin

Schneider (Starter)        Scratched : Larsson,Josefson                    Niemi (Seems to be the starter on NHL.com)             Scratched : Demers, Scott

Clemmensen                 Injured : Havlat                                                Stalock                                                                                      Injured : Kennedy, Brown, Torres

Home opener for our boys. Seems like Stalock will be in net, the boys will use this to their advantage. Lets hope that Schneider and the team bounce back from the game on friday! 

GO DEVILS!!! :gd:  :gd:  :gd:  :gd:

Edited by Devs3cups

Clearly you both don't have your priorities straight haha

haha seriously, sadly I was going to go TO the game. When my father and I realized it was during the wedding, we emailed the groom and asked if he wanted to go to the Devils opener on the 18th... he just replied "funny"