GDT: Devils vs Sharks (10/18) Home Opener

Zubie#8

Put Merrill or Severson out there and they're bound to make mistakes. Difference is that their rookies. Not only is Sal slow but his decision making during PKs is very rookie-like.

Exactly, bingo.

A mistake by a rookie is easier to swallow - they're young, they'll hopefully learn.

Salvador out there getting beat on the inside, getting completely lost on the PK.. That's just mind blowing my frustrating. He's an old veteran on his way out.

Put Merrill or Severson out there and they're bound to make mistakes. Difference is that their rookies. Not only is Sal slow but his decision making during PKs is very rookie-like.

If I'm Lou I start shopping either Larsson or Gelinas to see if I can bring back a solid stay at home D. We don't have that.

Any player playing those minutes will make poor decisions. It's guess work and positioning. Only one other player in the league had more PK time last season than Sal's 3:58 per game, and that was Coburn's 3:59. If he was as bad as you say, the Devils PK would have been a lot worse with him out there so much. 

You can't just toss a rookie into these situations and hope for the best. 

• Like 1

Just got in from the game. Some pros and cons I came away with from my first trip to the "New" Rock.

Pros:

- Food was great. Lots of options that I'm excited to try. I had a Cheesesteak from the new Boardwalk upstairs and really enjoyed it.

- The place was packed pretty much from the time the doors opened so clearly people were/are excited to see the upgrades which means they must've done a good job getting the word out (for a change).

- The new opening with the projection on the ice really was pretty awesome.

Cons:

- The game itself. They didn't show up for the first two periods, period.

- Salvador. He's awful. Constantly makes the wrong decisions. Pretty sure I read tonight that he's been out there for 60% of our goals against so far this season. He has to go.

- The music/PA system was a ridiculous level of loud all night. It drowned out the crowd and I literally almost lost my voice just from yelling to try to have a conversation with the person next to me. The goal song was brutally loud to the point of actually being harsh on the ears.

- Food running out. Near the end of the 2nd period I went to grab a snack (zeppoles) and they were out of them. How the hell do you run out of something at the first game of the year? You can't hype a new menu and new options and then not be prepared for people wanting them. I was really shocked and disappointed when this happened. Turning away customers due to unpreparedness is not a good look on opening night. I don't get how they could not be prepared for one of the biggest/most crowded nights of the year.

All in all, I had a great time until the puck dropped. 

Pet peeve time...all this hype about 'BE IN YOUR SEATS BY 6:45 FOR THE 3D SHOW!' and at 6:45 they were Zamboning the ice and nothing was going on until 7 PM.  I would have stayed downstairs with friends at 6:30 for the pregame skate if I knew that was just a phony deadline.

As far as the music well big shocker there, the only time I really noticed it superloud is when AGAIN the team had to jack up the noise on the goal song to drown out the dreaded two words people can't help themselves but demand to say.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Any player playing those minutes will make poor decisions. It's guess work and positioning. Only one other player in the league had more PK time last season than Sal's 3:58 per game, and that was Coburn's 3:59. If he was as bad as you say, the Devils PK would have been a lot worse with him out there so much. 

You can't just toss a rookie into these situations and hope for the best. 

Yeah, but you can put a rookie out there and he can develop into a decent PKer. Sal is too old to develop into jack sh!t. I'd rather be giving those minutes to a younger D. Hopefully Sal sits out against the Rags and Larsson plays in his place. Larsson has his problems but he always seems calm with the puck in his own end.

I know Sal is the official season whipping boy, but if you throw any of the kids out there for nearly 7 mins of penalty kill time a game, they will look as bad or worse. He's getting some pretty hard minutes so far this season. I'm hoping Merrill/Severson/Larsson start taking those minutes away as the season goes on, but just food for thought at the moment

Sal has been bad for a while now. He was utterly exposed and a direct result on both PP goals against. The real problem is that was the only thing he's supposed to be at least average at.

Larsson, in theory, plays a different game than Sal so that's not going to be a replacement unless injury is the reason. If Brunner stays in the lineup, you can get Larsson in for Gelinas because Brunner can take 22's spot on the PP point.

Regardless, Brunner played well enough to stay in the lineup. We'll see if Pete agrees. When Havlat is back, a 4th of ruutu-gionta-Brunner is kind of stupid. It's really just a holding spot for Brunner to move up a line of someone isn't clicking.

Sal wasn't even as bad as Gelinas tbh, he's just...limited.  Gelinas couldn't hit the net with a shot, had turnovers galore (particularly on the empty-netter) and made a dumb decision on the penalty shot, especially with the new rule where if you trip a guy even if you get puck first it's an automatic call.  There was no way he was going to get the puck AND avoid tripping the guy there.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Pet peeve time...all this hype about 'BE IN YOUR SEATS BY 6:45 FOR THE 3D SHOW!' and at 6:45 they were Zamboning the ice and nothing was going on until 7 PM.  I would have stayed downstairs with friends at 6:30 for the pregame skate if I knew that was just a phony deadline.

As far as the music well big shocker there, the only time I really noticed it superloud is when AGAIN the team had to jack up the noise on the goal song to drown out the dreaded two words people can't help themselves but demand to say.

AGREED 100% on the hype only to not be on time. #NewJerseyTypical

As for the sound, honestly, it was bad all night. Even during warm-ups it was unnecessarily loud. Like, the sound was bleeding out on every announcement or song because of just how high the volume was. 

Also, can we talk about how awful that girl who is our "hostess to the game" is (can't think of her name)? She looks like she's being held at gunpoint and being forced to do this every time she is on the screen doing anything. It's actually uncomfortable to watch.

Sal has been bad for a while now. He was utterly exposed and a direct result on both PP goals against. The real problem is that was the only thing he's supposed to be at least average at.

Larsson, in theory, plays a different game than Sal so that's not going to be a replacement unless injury is the reason. If Brunner stays in the lineup, you can get Larsson in for Gelinas because Brunner can take 22's spot on the PP point.

Regardless, Brunner played well enough to stay in the lineup. We'll see if Pete agrees. When Havlat is back, a 4th of ruutu-gionta-Brunner is kind of stupid. It's really just a holding spot for Brunner to move up a line of someone isn't clicking.

I agree on everything but that first goal... Sal and Greene both had men tied up in front. Zajac should have been back to help with the open man who scored. 

Yeah, but you can put a rookie out there and he can develop into a decent PKer. Sal is too old to develop into jack sh!t. I'd rather be giving those minutes to a younger D. Hopefully Sal sits out against the Rags and Larsson plays in his place. Larsson has his problems but he always seems calm with the puck in his own end.

The rookies are getting time on the second PK. One of them will be moved up to the top unit eventually. 

AGREED 100% on the hype only to not be on time. #NewJerseyTypical

As for the sound, honestly, it was bad all night. Even during warm-ups it was unnecessarily loud. Like, the sound was bleeding out on every announcement or song because of just how high the volume was. 

Also, can we talk about how awful that girl who is our "hostess to the game" is (can't think of her name)? She looks like she's being held at gunpoint and being forced to do this every time she is on the screen doing anything. It's actually uncomfortable to watch.

I wasn't listening to the warmup music too closely cause I was walking the upper concourse at that point, but most of the music choices itself sounded awful.  I'm not even sure Zubrus is picking the songs anymore they sounded that bad.

Back from the game. Was excited to go to my first game as a season ticket holder. Was greeted by 5 guys in front of me who only cared about drinking beer and being on their phones and an annoying guy behind me yelling stupid stuff, especially "shoot the puck at their face." It's going to be a long season for me if this keeps up. Overall I liked the changes at the rock and the 3D projection was sweet.

Just back.

The Arena: What a great job they did, really really really. The food options are much much improved. I really liked the sliders in the upper concourse and I am eager to try a lot of the other food as well. It's going to get me in the building spending more money on gamenights rather than guaranteed going to Dino BBQ or elsewhere pregame - so they are doing their jobs on this one. It just looks better too. More creative, more colorful and well thought out.

The 3D - I was actually sort of just meh on it. I mean really cool...really cool - but the design and what they did with it was anti-climactic and devoid of story telling. Something like that needs to build like a firework display and it was kind of flat. But still very cool. Hopefully they improve on it.

The sound - yeah I had sound issues in the upper concourse. I didn't mind too much what they played on the music-side as others did, but I actually felt it was too quiet. I think that's a problem with where the speakers are and the mix in the building. I was in 228, and just couldn't hear it that well and my hearing is fine. I will say though the GOAL SONG was too loud from the speaker (although it was quiet by me) but it sounded distorted and the vocals in the song mix was 'unhearable'. 

Anyway as for the game - looked fine mostly, a little out of sync in the first half of the game. Much like everyone has said here about Sal and Gelinas. Gelinas was a train wreck all night, bad decisions. Zids was too, but at least he got some shots through. Gelinas was a loose cannon literally on that PP and gave the puck up way too much. Time for Larsson.

• Like 1

I agree on everything but that first goal... Sal and Greene both had men tied up in front. Zajac should have been back to help with the open man who scored. 

i haven't watched it again yet, but it appeared on the first goal that sal was at the side of the net, and not on anyone until the puck was on top of cory and the split second it hit cory and went out in front for a rebound sal spun around and lifted the guys stick at the side of the net instead of following the puck's rebound trajectory.

The PK isn't very good, and ideally you want Sal off of it or any late game situation, but the options are few and far between right now. It isn't even just about rookies or young players taking those minutes, there's just two really bad defensive defensemen you shouldn't throw out there.

Gelinas - absolutely not.

Zidlicky - no thank you.

That kind of leaves Sal out there in a lot of tough situations. Give it a few more bad weeks, and you may see Greene and Merrill's minutes bump up a few minutes a game.

They have to see this with Salvador - he managed a .927 SV% on last year while killing penalties, and that hid it last year, but this clearly will not last, because goals are going in at an astouding rate with him on the PK.   You can look past it when they're not goals, but the Sharks passed around him like he wasn't there.  

I agree that they are in a tough spot here with who they use, but it's got to mean more minutes for Greene and Merrill and fewer for Salvador.  I don't really trust Larsson either.

Edited by Triumph

Just back.

The Arena: What a great job they did, really really really. The food options are much much improved. I really liked the sliders in the upper concourse and I am eager to try a lot of the other food as well. It's going to get me in the building spending more money on gamenights rather than guaranteed going to Dino BBQ or elsewhere pregame - so they are doing their jobs on this one. It just looks better too. More creative, more colorful and well thought out.

The 3D - I was actually sort of just meh on it. I mean really cool...really cool - but the design and what they did with it was anti-climactic and devoid of story telling. Something like that needs to build like a firework display and it was kind of flat. But still very cool. Hopefully they improve on it.

The sound - yeah I had sound issues in the upper concourse. I didn't mind too much what they played on the music-side as others did, but I actually felt it was too quiet. I think that's a problem with where the speakers are and the mix in the building. I was in 228, and just couldn't hear it that well and my hearing is fine. I will say though the GOAL SONG was too loud from the speaker (although it was quiet by me) but it sounded distorted and the vocals in the song mix was 'unhearable'. 

Anyway as for the game - looked fine mostly, a little out of sync in the first half of the game. Much like everyone has said here about Sal and Gelinas. Gelinas was a train wreck all night, bad decisions. Zids was too, but at least he got some shots through. Gelinas was a loose cannon literally on that PP and gave the puck up way too much. Time for Larsson.

What sliders did you have? The ones I had were cold, bland and just sucked.

i haven't watched it again yet, but it appeared on the first goal that sal was at the side of the net, and not on anyone until the puck was on top of cory and the split second it hit cory and went out in front for a rebound sal spun around and lifted the guys stick at the side of the net instead of following the puck's rebound trajectory.

Pretty much. When the shot came in, Sal and Greene were outnumbered 3-2. Greene was tying up the man on the far side, and Sal swatted at the stick of the near-side player. I don't think either of them knew where the rebound was. That left the man in front untouched. You can see Zajac get to him just a second too late. 

It will be interesting to see what DeBoer does re: player selections Tuesday against the Rangers. Scratch Salvador? Put in Larsson for Gelinas? Put in Harrold for Salvador? Scratch Tootoo? Don't play Gionta on PK and never with Salvador again? Play 7 D? Put Zubrus on the Zajac/Jagr line? Put Cammy with Elias?

Or go with the same? What has he learned?

It would appear he learned that Salvador shouldn't be on the ice so much as he sat him in the third.