Devils' Bryce Salvador responds to his critics

Devilsfan118

Sal on ice for 12 out of 20 goals against this season and on for 7 out of 8 PPGA.

He's bringing the intangibles alright,  but for opposing teams. He's basically become the equivalent of the rookie safety in football. Teams are taking notice and advantage of the fact that he's the weakest link on the ice.

He seemed miserable all summer.  He and his family are members at the pool club I work at.. I got to see him almost every week/every other week of the summer..  Nice guy, absolutely, but he seemed worried all summer... I don't know..

he seemed nervous all summer just by you seeing him enter the pool club that you work at? thats kind of interesting ... how can you tell that someone was nervous all summer by watching them swim in the pool from a far

Not exactly a new  thought around here. I was at that game when he was "hurt." The game was not televised which only adds fuel to the thought him taking one for the team.

I also think he was also re-signed to help retain Zach, as stated above.

Sal will be one of the Alumni running around here after his career. He does have a very calm and professional demeanor, I just can't wait to see that being displayed with shoes on instead of skates.

I have watched nearly every Oilers game this season, and man, they should do a currency adjustment for Fayne playing in EDM.  Looks like shinny most nights.

That game was almost certainly on TV somewhere because I know I watched it and I wasn't there - Versteeg drilled him by the sideboards.  It was a big hit.  And again, if they had faked the injury, they could've had him starting his comeback after Langenbrunner was traded, but they didn't.

That game was almost certainly on TV somewhere because I know I watched it and I wasn't there - Versteeg drilled him by the sideboards. It was a big hit. And again, if they had faked the injury, they could've had him starting his comeback after Langenbrunner was traded, but they didn't.

The game most definitely was not televised. I went solely for that reason. However, it was streamed. BUT, the "hit" wasn't Versteeg, but JVR. It happened behind the play and no one on the ice knew what happened. I remember that a player skated near Bryce then all of a sudden he was down on the ice. Most definitely was suspect.

As far as him coming back in later in the season who knows, but him going down in that game worked out conveniently for Lou.

He seemed miserable all summer.  He and his family are members at the pool club I work at.. I got to see him almost every week/every other week of the summer..  Nice guy, absolutely, but he seemed worried all summer... I don't know..

Maybe he was nervous because you kept staring at him and he thought you were going to kill him.

Or maybe he realized that the kids in the pool swim faster than he skates.

The game most definitely was not televised. I went solely for that reason. However, it was streamed. BUT, the "hit" wasn't Versteeg, but JVR. It happened behind the play and no one on the ice knew what happened. I remember that a player skated near Bryce then all of a sudden he was down on the ice. Most definitely was suspect.

As far as him coming back in later in the season who knows, but him going down in that game worked out conveniently for Lou.

Yeah real convenient considering the humptie dumpties playing on defense in the first half of the season.  Freaking Matt Taormina was a go-to-guy.

Besides, there was more than one trigger for it - it wasn't a situation where one hit and he was out

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2011/09/devils_bryce_salvador_after_co.html

Yeah real convenient considering the humptie dumpties playing on defense in the first half of the season. Freaking Matt Taormina was a go-to-guy.

Besides, there was more than one trigger for it - it wasn't a situation where one hit and he was out

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2011/09/devils_bryce_salvador_after_co.html

Can't say one way or the other unless someone talks. Tao was Macs boy. He would have been another nice d man if his ankle didn't get mangled.

Look, you can believe what you want, but I still think it worked out way too well. I remember the that preseason and no one knew how Lou was gonna pull off the cap situation. Remember they just got nailed for cap circumvention and had to make sure they had someone they could document for IR. Just too perfect for me.

If you have cap space and not wasting millions, then you have even more to work with in acquiring the higher cost contracts for the higher level of talent... Vrbata's asking price was a little too steep, especially the lack of Dev's cap space.  There's was very good interest in Vrbata, all the analysts agreed too, like Craig Button... "New Jersey was a very good fit for Vrbata that fills the offensive/shootout void. I think Vrbata's has like a 45% shootout success rate, that's perfection for the biggest deficiency with this club last year. Instead, the resultant is another season of a huge liability on the backend sucking $3.2 million cap space(the highest of any Devils defenseman) and most likely won't be playing a full season for that salary anyway. Additionally, the compliance buyout was wasted on the wrong player(many on the forum agreed) especially when you look at value/cost. Should of been Salvador instead of Hedberg and this season's start would have the Devils $5+ million ahead in this game... more to pursue top talent, a "box office draw" as they say. Then again, there appears a deal was done with Salvador because of Management mistakes in the past.

The Devils didn't have cap problems in the last 2 off seasons. Hedberg was bought out because Cory was added. It was a necessity. Volchenkov made more sense to be bought out this year because he made more, played less, and had more years on his contract. 

The Devils signed Cammalerri this off season without any issue from Salvador, and Devil interest in Vrbata is speculation. Additionally, if they bought out Salvador, they'd still need to pay another defenseman to take his spot, so the idea that Sal's $3.2 hit somehow handcuffs the Devils has no merit. It would make more sense to blame Zubrus, since he's a forward making $3.1 million. 

The Devils didn't have cap problems in the last 2 off seasons. Hedberg was bought out because Cory was added. It was a necessity. Volchenkov made more sense to be bought out this year because he made more, played less, and had more years on his contract.

The Devils signed Cammalerri this off season without any issue from Salvador, and Devil interest in Vrbata is speculation. Additionally, if they bought out Salvador, they'd still need to pay another defenseman to take his spot, so the idea that Sal's $3.2 hit somehow handcuffs the Devils has no merit. It would make more sense to blame Zubrus, since he's a forward making $3.1 million.

I think the idea is that they could have done a regular buyout on Hedberg then used the compliance buyouts on both Sal and Volch since the small cap hit a regular buyout of Hedberg would have left us with wouldn't have affected us very much.

I think the idea is that they could have done a regular buyout on Hedberg then used the compliance buyouts on both Sal and Volch since the small cap hit a regular buyout of Hedberg would have left us with wouldn't have affected us very much.

It's kind of revisionist. Sal was coming off a good season at the time and had just been signed. Merrill hadn't made the big team yet, and like I said, if they cut Sal, they would have to sign another d-man for similar money anyway.

All I'm saying is suggesting Sal cost the team Vrbata is a hell of a stretch

Yeah, I have my hits confused - I think Versteeg lit up Salvador in the 11-12 preseason and people were worried about him.  I don't think I saw the original but my idiot brain is constructing a false memory of what happened.

I don't think it makes sense that they had him sit out a year with a phantom injury.

Yeah, I have my hits confused - I think Versteeg lit up Salvador in the 11-12 preseason and people were worried about him.  I don't think I saw the original but my idiot brain is constructing a false memory of what happened.

I don't think it makes sense that they had him sit out a year with a phantom injury.

I'm sure it was a real injury, the only thing I'll say is that, if you remember, the Devils were in cap hell to start the season.  It's plausible that if it were Andy Greene, the team might have been more aggressive in getting him back on the ice.

Yeah I really don't think Sal's 'concussion' had anything to do with anything.  He could have easily come back in February or March after they traded Langs/Arnott and at least gotten some games in as opposed to laying out an entire season if it was truly a phony baloney injury.

And why would they have made him of all people sit out anyway?  They were icing a defense with stalwarts like OMG, Corrente and other assorted garbage in the first half.  He was one of the last people they could afford to take out of the lineup that year.  If they had no other recourse to stay under the cap they could have just Reddened Rolston.  

Very simple answer to your question as to why it was Salvador sitting the season and not someone like Rolston.

Salvador had a documented injury that is very difficult to predict a return time for.  A head injury is a lot different than a broken arm or pulled groin.   So, the NHL would have a very difficult time proving that the Devils were "prolonging the return" of Salvador in favor of utilizing his LTIR status to be under the cap.  Its difficult to prove.  Plus, Salvador's salary was just enough to get the Devils compliant for being over the cap. 

It was a perfect scenario for the Devils.  Not so perfect for Salvador, but in exchange for "taking one for the team," he got rewarded with a contract that he had no business getting at the age of 36.

I'm sure it was a real injury, the only thing I'll say is that, if you remember, the Devils were in cap hell to start the season.  It's plausible that if it were Andy Greene, the team might have been more aggressive in getting him back on the ice.

When the Devils IR'd Parise for the year, they opened up plenty of room for Salvador to come back.  He could've been skating in December and back to the team in January.