Name an NHL captain less skilled than Bryce Salvador

mfitz804

Another thread that exhibits how lost the majority of fans are on this forum. Should there be a correlation between skill and one receiving the captaincy? Yes. Should it be the cause? No 

Over the past 25 years look at the winners of the Cup, I can think of 2 to 3 instances where the most skilled player was the captain of the team.

First off - I love when people try to act superior to others on this forum / this forum in general.  It's like a new trend lately.  If some of you are so much more enlightened than the rest of us, you probably should just.. stop coming here, right?  It's especially ironic that you're calling us "lost", when you posted a thread the other day that 99% of the board was against.  Not to get too personal (because who has the time for that) but I feel like the facebook fanpage is more your.. breed.

Second - Who in this thread said the captain should be the most skilled player on the team?  I think most are saying the captain shouldn't be the LEAST talented player on the roster.  

There's certainly a happy middle ground between skill and leadership, but I don't think Salvador hits it.

• Like 1

The hate he is receiving is a bit overboard, the main issue as it relates to the PK is that Greene is playing on the wrong side of the ice. This won't be fixed until the coaching staff feels it can trust our young dmen with major minutes on the PK. 

First off - I love when people try to act superior to others on this forum / this forum in general.  It's like a new trend lately.  If some of you are so much more enlightened than the rest of us, you probably should just.. stop coming here, right?  It's especially ironic that you're calling us "lost", when you posted a thread the other day that 99% of the board was against.  Not to get too personal (because who has the time for that) but I feel like the facebook fanpage is more your.. breed.

Second - Who in this thread said the captain should be the most skilled player on the team?  I think most are saying the captain shouldn't be the LEAST talented player on the roster.  

There's certainly a happy middle ground between skill and leadership, but I don't think Salvador hits it.

What do you want to do with Salvador? Trade him, bench him, or cut him. Do you not remember the blowback when Pandolfo was notified via text he wasn't playing, and the chaos that caused. A lot of people here have short memories, or are immune to the facts at hand.

He is the captain of the team for this year, and as a result he will play. Should his minutes be adjusted? Absolutely, but that won't occur until our young dmen are comfortable enough to take on a bigger role within our PK structure. The last thing you want to do is overload someone like Severson.    

Edited by William D'Aquila

He is the captain of the team for this year, and as a result he will play. Should his minutes be adjusted? Absolutely, but that won't occur until our young dmen are comfortable enough to take on a bigger role within our PK structure. The last thing you want to do is overload someone like Severson.

Severson has showed no signs of slowing down and has responded positively to all the added minutes and responsibilities. I don't fear him being overloaded at this point. Edited by Guest

Exactly. A team decided they'd rather have Cam Janssen than our captain. Something is wrong with that equation.

That trade was considered an absolute steal by Lou around the league at the time. St Louis did that because both Sal and Jackman were going to be UFA and they couldn't sign both, and Cam is a St Louis native. I remember fans there being upset losing Sal, but ok with it since Cam was coming back. I think there was even speculation that Sal might look to re-sign there if possible that off season if they couldn't make a deal with Jackman.

I just remembered Cam's interview with St Louis when he went there. They asked him what he would bring to the team. Cam responds straight faced, "Pure goal scoring."

Yeah, because he would be the only player from his home city to play there, and that team was desperate for things to attract fans.  Lou wisely saved a draft pick that way - Salvador was probably worth a 2nd rounder.

Um, St Louis' attendance in 2007-2008 was 17,610 which was not only higher than ours by over 2000 that year, but is actually higher by over 1,000 than the Prudential Center's capacity. The Blues have never been a hard sell in that town and have always been well supported. They've never been "desperate for things to attract fans".

Um, St Louis' attendance in 2007-2008 was 17,610 which was not only higher than ours by over 2000 that year, but is actually higher by over 1,000 than the Prudential Center's capacity. The Blues have never been a hard sell in that town and have always been well supported. They've never been "desperate for things to attract fans".

Have never been a hard sell?  Ridiculous.  How about 05-06 when they finished 27th in attendance?  Or 2006-07 when they finished 30th?  The Blues are listed at only being 84% capacity for the 2007-08 season, and I imagine ticket prices in St. Louis are quite low - so yes, something to boost sales would be needed.

I agree that St. Louis has been a good hockey town but the idea that they were 'always supported' is not supported by the evidence.

Yeah, because he would be the only player from his home city to play there, and that team was desperate for things to attract fans. Lou wisely saved a draft pick that way - Salvador was probably worth a 2nd rounder.

Yeah, that was a god-awful trade. The Devils got beyond their money's worth out of that one.

05-06 was coming immediately off of the Lockout year and attendance across the league was wonky. St Louis might have struggled initially on those first two years after the lockout simply out of backlash and the fact that the team was in their first playoff slump since the 1970s, but attendance had already rebounded by 2007-2008 well before the Salvador trade (which was late in the season in February of 2008) even with a crappy team that finished 5th in the division. While bringing in a hometown player might have given us a discount, it had nothing to do with raising flagging attendance as that issue had already been fixed. As I recall, St Louis simply had a logjam of defensemen and Bryce was the odd man out.

05-06 was coming immediately off of the Lockout year and attendance across the league was wonky. St Louis might have struggled initially on those first two years after the lockout simply out of backlash and the fact that the team was in their first playoff slump since the 1970s, but attendance had already rebounded by 2007-2008 well before the Salvador trade (which was late in the season in February of 2008) even with a crappy team that finished 5th in the division. While bringing in a hometown player might have given us a discount, it had nothing to do with raising flagging attendance as that issue had already been fixed. As I recall, St Louis simply had a logjam of defensemen and Bryce was the odd man out.

Yeah this. At the time, they weren't going to be able to sign both Jackman and Salvador. In fact most people had Jackman as the one being traded, but deadline day came and Sal was the guy. I can't imagine the Devils gave the best offer, but somehow they made the move

Another thread that exhibits how lost the majority of fans are on this forum. Should there be a correlation between skill and one receiving the captaincy? Yes. Should it be the cause? No 

Over the past 25 years look at the winners of the Cup, I can think of 2 to 3 instances where the most skilled player was the captain of the team.

Did you read the initial post? I said its supposed to be ONE OF your better players, not your worst. I didn't say it was the MOST skilled player, just that it should be A SKILLED player. 

So perhaps it is YOU who are lost, sir. 

Did you read the initial post? I said its supposed to be ONE OF your better players, not your worst. I didn't say it was the MOST skilled player, just that it should be A SKILLED player. 

So perhaps it is YOU who are lost, sir. 

And there's a good reason for this. You always want your captain to be a skilled player because you should never be tempted to healthy scratch them. It's always more tempting to scratch a non-skilled "character" player than a skilled one. For an example of this, see Ken Daneyko being scratched in the 2003 Conference and Stanley Cup Finals. That wouldn't have happened to Scott Stevens because even at the very end of his career he was more skilled than replacement. The problem here is that Bryce Salvador is no longer more skilled than replacement.

But how many future captains were ever traded for Cam Janssen?

I was only making a joke. Sorry.   I think that was an amazing trade and was happy to have Salvador on the team. I am not so happy with the last deal he received, and not happy with him being named captain either.

I feel like this has been a lost team in some ways since Stevens retired.  They had some good point total years but never felt like a cup team to me, not even 2012. Not that they didn't break my heart every year since after 03.  (ok, beating they flyers and rangers really really softened the blow in 12)  But I do feel this team has played like their captains in a way.

Niedermayer.  I don't care what you say. He abandoned this team when it needed him. Then hockey abadoned us all, never to be the same.

Elias is an amazing player, but just something seemed weird about him being captain (to me). Awesome on the ice, but not a take charge guy. But felt like the end of an era of dominance when he was stripped.

Langenbrunner I liked a lot as long as you weren't counting on him to be the man. Great 2nd fiddle guy, not who I would of picked. And named captain very strangely too if I recall. No captatin at all until Sutter (?) had time to evaluate everyone. Then felt like he names Langs captain like an hour after he got healthy. Like he wanted him from day one for some reason.  Strange captain, strange few years of the team

Then Zach. Oh so close to being a superstar. Kinda like the team in 2012. 

And finally Salvador. I was just WTF. Really? I don't hate the guy, but his time was over. New contract, named captain.  Much like this team the last 2 years. I don't know what the hell is going on anymore.

Yes I read way too much into all this.

P.S. did someone really put Greene in as captain on wiki? 

I am curious though,when someone says Salvador "leads by example" - what example is he setting, exactly?  Surely not his on-ice performance, he's getting embarrassed by kids out there.

To me he personifies the fact that either PDB favors veterans above all else, or that the vets have really taken over the lockerroom.  

Greene's the de-facto captain anyway - Chico said as much in that interview with Mazz.

I really just don't understand what niche Salvador is filling.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Would you say Dustin Brown is one of the better players on the Kings?

Not currently. But I would say he is eminently more talented than Bryce Salvador, and at one time, he was even better than that. He led the team in goals in 07-08, third in 08-09, 2nd in 09-10, first in 10-11, tied for 2nd in 11-12, 2nd in 12-13...can you formulate some argument that he wasn't one of the better players in those years? 

Keep in mind, I am not talking about a player who was once good falling off due to age, etc. Salvador was never that good. 

Edited by mfitz804

I think one of the reasons Sal became captain was because Kovy expressed interest in leaving and there was no guarantee that Greene would re-sign. I believe after zach left they wanted a stable captain and someone who the players respected during a time of change in the organization.

I really don't think they thought Sal would decline quite as quickly as he did. That being said im not sure why Zajac wasnt in the running, but I do remember a lot of players saying Sal would be a good captain back then.

I think one of the reasons Sal became captain was because Kovy expressed interest in leaving and there was no guarantee that Greene would re-sign. I believe after zach left they wanted a stable captain and someone who the players respected during a time of change in the organization.

I really don't think they thought Sal would decline quite as quickly as he did. That being said im not sure why Zajac wasnt in the running, but I do remember a lot of players saying Sal would be a good captain back then.

And they knew Salvador wasn't going anywhere because nobody else wanted him?

And decline or no,my don't think he was ever really that good.

And they knew Salvador wasn't going anywhere because nobody else wanted him?

And decline or no,my don't think he was ever really that good.

Sal wasn't going anywhere because he was already signed at the time. 

And he was never amazing, but he was a steady guy you could rely on most of the time.  Everyone points to the 2012 playoffs, but he had a good regular season then as well.