GDT: Stars. Devils. Thank you, Chico.

dmann422

No I was killing Marty plenty last year, they obviously won in spite of him in most cases.  It's just annoying there has to be a mentality of a Brodeur guy or a Cory guy and if you back one you have to automatically kill the other guy.  Unlike most people here I don't look through things through colored glasses towards one guy at the expense of the other or blindly rip one because I would rather see the other guy playing.  

Bottom line is I was expecting better goaltending from Cory this year than we got from Marty last year, we haven't gotten that.

It's seven games.  Cory is going to be fine.  Sometimes guys don't start out blazing hot right out of the gate...what are you going to do?  Do you really think he's not going to get into a groove at some point?   

And for some reason (this isn't directed at you specifically, just a general point), a lot of people don't seem able to grasp that ALL NHL goalies give up some random "softies"...they're not all "he had no chance" kind of goals.  Yeah, Goal #2 was a rough one for Cory.  But he also made a lot of terrific stops too, and faced a lot of rubber.  

It's seven games.  Cory is going to be fine.  Sometimes guys don't start out blazing hot right out of the gate...what are you going to do?  Do you really think he's not going to get into a groove at some point?   

And for some reason (this isn't directed at you specifically, just a general point), a lot of people don't seem able to grasp that ALL NHL goalies give up some random "softies"...they're not all "he had no chance" kind of goals.  Yeah, Goal #2 was a rough one for Cory.  But he also made a lot of terrific stops too, and faced a lot of rubber.  

This. Every goalie in the NHL, including everyone from Glenn Hall to Dominik Hasek to Ken Dryden to Brodeur to Roy to Plante gave up "softies". It's part of goaltending. Your glove is a little off where you think it is, or you misjudge a shot's speed or trajectory, whatever. It's part of the game. 

I also want to point out that Brodeur was a notorious slow starter. He'd hit his groove in November a lot of seasons. 

This. Every goalie in the NHL, including everyone from Glenn Hall to Dominik Hasek to Ken Dryden to Brodeur to Roy to Plante gave up "softies". It's part of goaltending. Your glove is a little off where you think it is, or you misjudge a shot's speed or trajectory, whatever. It's part of the game. 

I also want to point out that Brodeur was a notorious slow starter. He'd hit his groove in November a lot of seasons. 

Yeah, I remember some of Brodeur's slow starts.  I'd be curious to see what his lifetime October save% was, in comparison to his career save%. 

re:  Schneider, it's funny, the guy doesn't have a .930+ save% thru seven games and some fans are already making it sound like he's been this major disappointment.  And as far as Marty comparisons go, they're simply not valid...the Marty of the last two seasons would have extended stretches of .880ish goaltending...his great October-November run of last year pulled his season save% over .900.  Cory's been up and down so far in a very early and very small sample, but if .905-.910ish kind of play is the worst we're going to get from him, I'll happily take it.  Cory will be around .920 by the time the season is over. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

WRONG. For the last time it is indeed a hand pass, which is not reviewable. The act Elias committed was an illegal play. Having it hit anything be for going to Brunner has no effect on making the play legal.

This is correct. The referee has to decide whether it was directed to another player. I think it is pretty easy to argue that is what happened.

But, as stated above, not reviewable by replay. The review was only done to see if The net was off

Yeah, I remember some of Brodeur's slow starts.  I'd be curious to see what his lifetime October save% was, in comparison to his career save%. 

re:  Schneider, it's funny, the guy doesn't have a .930+ save% thru seven games and some fans are already making it sound like he's been this major disappointment.  And as far as Marty comparisons go, they're simply not valid...the Marty of the last two seasons would have extended stretches of .880ish goaltending...his great October-November run of last year pulled his season save% over .900.  Cory's been up and down so far in a very early and very small sample, but if .905-.910ish kind of play is the worst we're going to get from him, I'll happily take it.  Cory will be around .920 by the time the season is over. 

Brodeur is a .904 October goalie lifetime - it's his worst month by far.  I mean, that's skewed a bit by the huge number of power plays that everyone faced in October 2005, but still, that's over 151 starts in that month.

I can respect that, but it's a 2-1 win if he doesn't let that goal on. You could argue Back To The Future II style that it would have led to an alternate course of events thereafter, I suppose.

What did you see in the 2nd and most of the 3rd that makes you think they win this game? The 2nd was atrocious as usual and the 3rd was better but nothing great.

Did anyone else think the fourth line looked really good last night? Those guys and Brunner were very impressive, I thought. There is honestly no reason Brunner shouldn't be in the lineup when Havlat and Tootoo are healthy. Josefson looked good for the first time in a while, too, so I hope he makes a case for himself to stick around. Having a fast line like that was helpful.

I also hope Ruutu brings the "snot" that the Devils were hoping for when they traded for him. I'd much prefer him to Tootoo in the lineup.

What's going on with Zubrus and (especially) Elias lately? It seems like the entire top 9 needs some restructuring because not much is clicking other than Elias + Havlat. Really not impressed with the Henrique line lately, either. I feel like he'd be super effective if he were playing with more creative players.

What did you see in the 2nd and most of the 3rd that makes you think they win this game? The 2nd was atrocious as usual and the 3rd was better but nothing great.

I saw that the Devils had 2 goals, and without the soft one, the Stars would have 1. Simple math.

excellent breakdown and analysis of the game and how it was going.

I wasn't trying to break down the game or analyze how it was going. They lost in a shootout. If he didn't let in the soft goal, no OT and no shootout. That was the only point I was making.

You guys will really argue anything, but 2-1=1 is pretty impossible to dispute. Feel free to keep trying.

I wasn't trying to break down the game or analyze how it was going. They lost in a shootout. If he didn't let in the soft goal, no OT and no shootout. That was the only point I was making.

You guys will really argue anything, but 2-1=1 is pretty impossible to dispute. Feel free to keep trying.

What proof do you have that the devils would have scored a 2nd goal? Just because they did isn't an answer but if that's what you believe then we'll this conversation ends now

What proof do you have that the devils would have scored a 2nd goal? Just because they did isn't an answer but if that's what you believe then we'll this conversation ends now

How is that not an answer? It actually happened, no speculation is required. If the conversation is over, it's only because your argument sucks.

Like I said before, you could argue that if he saved that goal it alters the entire course of the game, but that's complete speculation.

was anyone able to get the pre-ceremony video presentation on tape?  I had tickets but unfortunately my girlfriends father took his own life recently, so I was dealing with that all week.

sh!t man, that's rough. Good luck with that.

http://video.devils.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=652323〈=en&navid=DL|NJD|home

devils have the video intro and ceremony in their website.

I realize our encounter in Raleigh probably lasted longer than most of his interaction with fans, but he obviously must meet an awful lot of people. I was pretty amazed that he remembered me.

I wonder if Scott Stevens remembers me... "Oh yeAHHHHH!  I snubbed you on Witherspoon!  with the whole family there - yeah yeah -- How are you?"