GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Pittsburg Penguins 7PM MSG

Coorslight

Huh: NYR, TB, WSH, PIT, DAL, SJ are all really good teams. Not murderers row, but a pretty tough schedule. This team is a bubble team, why are we getting worked up over this?

I'm talking about in terms of travel and games played/number of days.  They had one back to back buttressed with two days off at each end.  Next month they'll have a ton more back to backs and the dreaded Western Canada swing at the end of it.

And most of the teams you mentioned we got killed by, the last four we were totally outclassed 

I'm talking about in terms of travel and games played/number of days.  They had one back to back buttressed with two days off at each end.  Next month they'll have a ton more back to backs and the dreaded Western Canada swing at the end of it.

And most of the teams you mentioned we got killed by, the last four we were totally outclassed 

Devils played better than NYR and TB. I'm not worried about them getting outclassed by Dallas, Pittsburgh and San Jose because they aren't on the same stratosphere. Western Canada doesn't scare me and NJ should realistically go 2-1-1 there. I get they haven't played well there historically but Vancouver and Calgary aren't good teams any more and who knows what EDM is? Schedule picks up for everyone and we have plenty of depth...we'll see

This is one of those games you just have to forget. Horrible.

I think that's best. 

There's no positive takeaways from this game, and that in itself kind of makes it easier to get over. 

Zajac is not always going to play that bad, Schneider is a better goalie than we've seen this season, and even if the penalty kill isn't great - it will improve. The current clip the Devils are running at on PK is on par with the literal worst PK in post-expansion NHL (79-80 LA Kings). 

This current edition of the Devils isn't as great as its 3-0 start, but there is still a lot of room to improve in areas that are fairly certain to do so. 

I'm interested to see how the team reacts to this 1-3-2 slide -- from the players to the coach to the GM.

With the schedule about to pick up, at the very least, I'd like to see Kinkaid come up.  

It seems that we have a bubble team playing like a bubble team. They look good at times, they look terrible at times. Also, kind of funny that last season Cory couldn't buy a goal for and was stopping everything, and now he's got the goals and can't stop anything. Maybe it'll settle somewhere in the middle. 

I wonder if Kinkaid gets a call up next month. Clem hasn't been able to stop the bleeding in his relief appearances so far. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

It doesn't matter, even if they only finish as bad as they did the last two years (9th and 10th in the draft) this year they'll still have a chance at McDavid.

Wow, the negativity is real.  Get these men some change! Changing everything with fix all of our problems.  It seems you're all flipping out and we haven't really heard/seen this teams response.  Reponse to adversity is an important quality of a team.  They'll have a bag practice tomorrow and skate it out and try again on Winnipeg, we were missing two of our top 6, and Josefson apparently played okay tonight.

This reminded me of the winter classic. I did not want reminding if this.

Totally disgusting performance.

I know it's only been a few games but it looks to be another frustrating year where we are good for stretches, and downright awful in others.

The scouting team and Louise (ha ha, well played auto correct) really do need to pull off a few miracles going forward. We are too old and too slow, and an injection of youth in the forward group is most necessary.

Things do need to change, but at this stage it's trying to work out what needs to change first.

I like PDB, but I don't think he has much more room for showings like this. And I am not even sure if he is the problem. Getting rid of him could make things worse.

I cam into this season full of optimism. That's already been pissed away.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

One stat that's telling:

Cory Schneider (this season):  .901 save%, 3.15 GAA

Martin Brodeur (last two seasons):  .901 save%, 2.22 GAA; .901 save%, 2.51 GAA

Cory's facing a lot more shots right now, and it feels like a lot of them are high quality. 

Some fans are going to scream for changes, but until the overall record starts to look bad, the urgency for Lou to make any big ones just isn't going to be there.  The Devils are two points out of first.  The last 6 games haven't been pretty (Devils have been outscored 15-26, when eliminating the phantom shootout goal), but I think Lou and PDB believe it's only a matter of time before the PK gets its act together and Schneider gets on a roll.  I don't think we should really be THAT surprised by where the team currently sits...I think most realistic fans thought this was a bubble team, and with three young defensemen in the lineup (and one who looks like he's little left), some defensive issues were to be expected. 

The good news remains:  IF (big if...still too early to make any declarations) this team can't turn it around, a lot of bodies can be moved.  Jagr, Ryder, Brunner, Havlat, Tootoo, Salvador, and Zids are all on expiring deals.  Not saying that they'll bring back any major haul, but Lou can starting dumping some of the older bodies if it looks like this team isn't playoff-bound. 

One stat that's telling:

Cory Schneider (this season):  .901 save%, 3.15 GAA

Martin Brodeur (last two seasons):  .901 save%, 2.22 GAA; .901 save%, 2.51 GAA

Cory's facing a lot more shots right now, and it feels like a lot of them are high quality. 

Some fans are going to scream for changes, but until the overall record starts to look bad, the urgency for Lou to make any big ones just isn't going to be there.  The Devils are two points out of first.  The last 6 games haven't been pretty (Devils have been outscored 15-26, when eliminating the phantom shootout goal), but I think Lou and PDB believe it's only a matter of time before the PK gets its act together and Schneider gets on a roll.  I don't think we should really be THAT surprised by where the team currently sits...I think most realistic fans thought this was a bubble team, and with three young defensemen in the lineup (and one who looks like he's little left), some defensive issues were to be expected. 

The good news remains:  IF (big if...still too early to make any declarations) this team can't turn it around, a lot of bodies can be moved.  Jagr, Ryder, Brunner, Havlat, Tootoo, Salvador, and Zids are all on expiring deals.  Not saying that they'll bring back any major haul, but Lou can starting dumping some of the older bodies if it looks like this team isn't playoff-bound. 

At this point it seems Jagr is the heart and soul of the team.  A leader that everyone on the roster looks up to.  Anything short of a 1st rounder IMHO would not be worth moving him for.  As long as we are somewhat in the hunt, I think Jaromir needs to stay.  He was almost singlehandedly the only thing that made this team bearable to watch last season. 

a new coach isnt making the players younger or faster, pittsburgh was beating us to the dumpins and getting the first pass off without pressure for most of the night. they got sticks on our passes and seemed to out man us all over the ice..once again this year we need to play clean hockey because our margin is razor thin. cory needs to be better with the puck and with the over the shoulder shots

Im moving on from this game and looking forward.  merrill needs to up his game, zid needs to stop being a turnover machine

I like PDB, but I don't think he has much more room for showings like this. And I am not even sure if he is the problem. Getting rid of him could make things worse.

Smartest comment I've seen in the aftermath of last night's game, and this is the truth.

We've gotten miles better at the things we were completely lacking in last year (scoring goals). And now our problems are in our fundamentals, the Devils defensive fundamentals. I can't help but think our defense and goaltending even out sooner than later. The way we're losing is troubling and I think it has to do with our leadership. Elias looks a step behind, Salvador forget it, Greene hasn't had the most perfect start; these are our leaders. How are our super young defenseman supposed to take the cue to raise their level of play or fitness or concentration at a moment in a game when our main leaders aren't? And in many cases, they ARE, and the veterans are mucking it up themselves.

Granted, I think these things will level out. And when they do, it seems like our 2nd and 3rd and 4th lines are doing okay enough to win most games, which was always my concern last year going into this year. I'm not at all worried about Schneider or 3/4 of our defense in the long run.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

Defense continues to play worse. No big saves for, Schneider. Lots of nonstop penalties and poor PK lineups being put out there by the coaches.

Severson had his worst game and Merrill has looked progressively worse the last few games.