GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Pittsburg Penguins 7PM MSG

Coorslight

a new coach isnt making the players younger or faster, pittsburgh was beating us to the dumpins and getting the first pass off without pressure for most of the night. they got sticks on our passes and seemed to out man us all over the ice..once again this year we need to play clean hockey because our margin is razor thin. cory needs to be better with the puck and with the over the shoulder shots

Im moving on from this game and looking forward.  merrill needs to up his game, zid needs to stop being a turnover machine

Yup, only thing Cory needs to work at is his stance for top shelf shots, they're beating him every game. He needs to stand up a bit longer and not go down on the butterfly right away; main reason I've never liked most butterfly goalies. But, I think he'll come around.

Edited by DJ Eco

a new coach isnt making the players younger or faster, pittsburgh was beating us to the dumpins and getting the first pass off without pressure for most of the night. they got sticks on our passes and seemed to out man us all over the ice..once again this year we need to play clean hockey because our margin is razor thin. cory needs to be better with the puck and with the over the shoulder shots

Im moving on from this game and looking forward.  merrill needs to up his game, zid needs to stop being a turnover machine

These are the kinds of players Deboer wants. This is the system he wants. Stop making petty excuses for him.

66.6666666666666% success on the penalty kill so far.  Funny yet honestly disgusting statistic.

There are contenders, bottom feeders, and there are pretenders.  The Devils have been pretenders for years now.

Here's a spoiler alert for how this season's going to play out - they're going to go on a couple short winning streaks to stay relevant, but lose most key games and situations.  They'll be a bubble team at the deadline, so Lou won't be inclined to sell and will instead pick of some veteran fodder to fill out the already-crowded bottom-6.  They'll miss the playoffs by 5-10 points, and draft somewhere between 7-10, ensuring they won't acquire any real top-end talent that will make an immediate impact.

Rinse and repeat.  This is Devils hockey as of late, and it's miserable. 

I really don't mind losing, if there's a purpose to it.  But everyone surrounding this team talks about making the playoffs and making noise - if we're going to be as bad as we've been as of late I wish someone would at least acknowledge it and take the appropriate steps towards cycling in younger talent..

Edited by Devilsfan118

The one big positive I saw last night was our 4th line with Josefson-Gionta-Ruutu.  That line seemed to have good chemistry and was creating chances all night and was pretty good in their own end.

JJ almost certainly sits if/when Havlat and Camm return.  So.. while I agree with you, I'm not exactly counting on that line being a constant going forward.

Edited by Devilsfan118

JJ almost certainly sits if/when Havlat and Camm return.  So.. while I agree with you, I'm not exactly counting on that line being a constant going forward.

I am fine with Brunner and Boucher sitting for Havlat and Camm.  I dont think either are really taking JJ's spot on the 4th line anyways.

well losing that bad sucks but it's better than hearing everyone complain how the sky fell because we lost in a shootout, and then see people get flamed for criticizing the league for even having a shootout to decide tie games... I'd rather hear bitching about a big loss in regulation than "how bad we are at shootouts" (that shouldn't even be a part of a game that counts for anything) But hey, it's all part of "the new NHL" right? more scoring, lousy defense, no ties, penalties for the puck going over the glass, trapezoids, people being afraid to hit like Stevens did because you'll get a fine and suspension if you hit another player anywhere near the head...I miss the days where you tied in regulation, went to OT, played 5 mins 5 on 5 and then if nobody scores, call it a tie and go home. Hockey just isn't the same anymore. We're also not a team that adapts well to big paradigm shifts like that.

another good news is that we're still tie with a bunch of team in a playoffs spot. Not as if we fell behind and already dig a hole.

That been said we've already seen bad habits and patern from suckness that we had last year. It REALLY needs to be addressed.

I do think a lot of the blame has to go to Pete, we are not an incredibly skilled team but our guys are skilled enough and proved they can score in shootout, have a good PK, protect leads and be dominant.

Now there's a patern of sucking in those areas now and its always repeating. That's on the coach if those things keeps happening cause it's all in the players head. They are either not prepared well enough or they are not in the right mindset. Either they are playing stressed or something but the problem is in their head and again, that's on the coach

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

Ruutu was the one to sit for Brunner to come into the lineup and he's getting the least minutes out of the 4th liners. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Ruutu taken out over Josefson. 

another good news is that we're still tie with a bunch of team in a playoffs spot. Not as if we fell behind and already dig a hole.

That's another improvement this season (despite some poor results) - when the Devils were spinning their wheels last season, they weren't finding ways to gain any ground in the standings. Much like last year, the majority of the East is struggling to start. Not throwing away too many points and keeping pace is good if they can find a way to get their act together. 

I love Dano.  He's hilarious.  He spoke for me, that's for sure.  THAT is what a homer sounds like.  Its' a little harsh for us fans though I will say.  It's just like... his voice tells you, you are so right feeling however you're feeling, you know?  He cannot put on a happy voice and bullsh!t through things the way Chico did.  Ken choked on any positive statement that had to be made for the Pens team.  He did not want to give them one freaking inch.  Chico gushed and apologized - Ken -- he was just bummed, frustrated, trying to understand....

He did do a Chico BIG TIME during the goal review -- he came out with "Oooooh.. I dunno!" when he and I both knew that was a freaking goal plain as day.  Well the Devils paid themselves back tenfold for that break, as did the refs.

Edited by Pepperkorn

They had a new coach and system coupled with a nightmarish opening trip.

And apparently a lot of excuses?  That doesn't change the fact that they got drubbed early on in the season.

The Devils didn't play well in this game, but of course when you get 8 goals scored on you you've had a lot of bad breaks - Hornqvist's goal was the result of a broken stick, Craig Adams off a rolling puck, Schneider misplays a puck to give them one.  Rather get it all out in one game.  And have Clemmensen exposed as not an NHL goalie - that's only going to help in the long term.

And apparently a lot of excuses?  That doesn't change the fact that they got drubbed early on in the season.

The Devils didn't play well in this game, but of course when you get 8 goals scored on you you've had a lot of bad breaks - Hornqvist's goal was the result of a broken stick, Craig Adams off a rolling puck, Schneider misplays a puck to give them one.  Rather get it all out in one game.  And have Clemmensen exposed as not an NHL goalie - that's only going to help in the long term.

Tri, do you think Lou should stick with the current D this year, or try to trade for a big body defenseman that can eat some minutes? I mentioned Tyler Myers in my previous post, but there may be others. Truth be told it will have to be done sooner than later, with Salvador and Zidlicky unlikely to be signed next year (arguably for the better). Can't have Greene and 5 youngins without having to go through some serious growing pains over the next few years.

Edited by Biggie B

And have Clemmensen exposed as not an NHL goalie - that's only going to help in the long term.

He's fit for mopping up during a game like last night's (which was technically still a game when Schneider was given the hook), but that's all.  If the Devils need a backup to play a full 60 minutes, call up Kinkaid.  I don't know if Kinkaid is an NHL goalie, but I sure as hell know that Clemmer isn't (now watch him get a start and luck his way into a stat-friendly performance).

Tri, do you think Lou should stick with the current D this year, or try to trade for a big body defenseman that can eat some minutes? I mentioned Tyler Myers in my previous post, but there may be others. Truth be told it will have to be done sooner than later, with Salvador and Zidlicky unlikely to be signed next year (arguably for the better). Can't have Greene and 5 youngins without having to go through some serious growing pains over the next few years.

I think if Salvador keeps this up or gets hurt for the year (and at this rate it's only a question of which happens first) that yeah he will look to do that.  Tyler Myers may have a big body but he is not very good and isn't the kind of physical guy they want.  The issue is that these guys are disappearing from the NHL - they're surprisingly not easy to come by.  I don't know that a trade for one will appear by the end of the year.

That was a mess of a game, but those things happen a few times over the course of a season.   However, our PK is atrocious and needs to get fixed NOW!   Also, Clemmer is just bad and there is no way we can start him in a game outside of the few we have against Buffalo and Carolina at this point. 

We'll see how they respond on next game.  That will be more telling to me than the way this one turned out.