DeBoer "Firing Watch" Thread

mfitz804

I think PDB is in serious, serious jeopardy of being jobless and soon. And I fully support that idea.

While we are waiting, how 'bout a thread dedicated to such speculation? Do you think he's on the chopping block? How long will it take? Who is out there to bring in as a replacement?

I think PDB is in serious, serious jeopardy of being jobless and soon. And I fully support that idea.

While we are waiting, how 'bout a thread dedicated to such speculation? Do you think he's on the chopping block? How long will it take? Who is out there to bring in as a replacement?

I gave him tons of chances, but let's be honest....his SOLE contribution to the organization was a somewhat fluke of a run to the 2012 Finals.....other than that, he's accomplished 0....

I am pretty much done with him; we cannot sit around and wait forever until it's too late like we did with Johnny Mac.  If this sh!tstorm continues he needs to go ASAP.  We cannot afford another season of golf in early April.

As far as a replacement; I would support bringing in Mr. Adam Oates.   Scott Stevens would miraculously return as an Assistant and all could be right in the world.  Our PK cannot go from one of the best to the worst in one offseason.  UNACCEPTABLE.

Let's see what Lou does, I am guessing he will do nothing.  Maybe PDB has serious black mail photos/videos on him.  There is no other explanation for his undying loyalty to a bozo who has a horrifying record as a HC in the NHL.

I don't know what Oakes is doing but I would give him a try because change is needed. LOU in my opinion is stilla a major part of the Devils problem. Sign Gomez he can still move the puck. Tootoo to Albany. Get rid of Ryder. Clowe must only play on the 4th line. JJ must play every game. It's early this season can be turned around but can't wait too long.

Gomez can play center. He can shoot the puck. He can play on the PP. He still can move the puck while skating. He can play on the PK.

Now you tell me honestly what can Ryder do that merits your protection?

Scott Gomez managed 12 points last season after barely cracking the Panthers line up. This isn't 1999 Scott Gomez. Ryder has half of Gomez's goals from last season already. 

Disclaimer:  I'm a fan, with no inside knowledge of the locker room politics.  This is purely speculation.

I think the veterans have run the show for a while now.  I honestly don't think PDB has the balls to scratch a guy that's been with the organization for a while - this includes Salvador, Zubrus, Gionta, Zidlicky, etc.  I wouldn't say he's lost control of the room, but there just.. doesn't seem to be any panic in their games.  He's SO HARD on the young guys, yet veterans seem to have no urgency out there.

As others have said - bringing in a new coach doesn't guarantee any sort of success.  But this team is so old, and so painfully lacking in top-end talent that I'm not sure a new face could make things all that much worse.

PDB really hasn't done sh!t except lead a very talented group to the SCF a few years ago, and run most of our young swedes out of town.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I'm on my last nerve with DeBoer like many others, but I just don't see him getting canned this early in the season. Lou's rationale is probably something along the lines of 'let me give him a shot with Schneider as the full-time starter, along with a revamped roster' (whether that 'revamped roster' is revamped enough is another argument, but I believe this is Lou's train of thought). So I just don't see it happening unless there is a prolonged crash and burn.

You know... I didn't watch the post-game... maybe I've got it all wrong but I have to vent... :(

Deboer has no system.  He has a set of hard and fast rules.  It’s not The Ineffable System of which I am the keeper on this forum.

A system has to be malleable.  It cannot have set parameters – even computer systems have generations.  They adapt.  They adapt in order to remain useful.  You gain knowledge with a system – if you do not gain knowledge it’s a bad system.  If it’s inconsistent then your parameters are bad.

These parameters are seeming more and more to be built not around hockey (which is the only thing to build a successful system around), not around the Devils team (which can breed short-term success but can’t seamlessly grow regardless of personnel) but rather around one mans ego.  It started out right – but once you refuse to adjust and decide rather to hunker down – then it’s not about hockey the team or even your job – it’s about your ego. 

You HAVE to get rid of the dead wood.  Refusing to get rid of your trusted yet failing players is just a sure fire sign not of loyalty, but misplaced vision. A BAD SYSTEM.

If you’re losing, you’re wrong.  If you are consistent in your particular brand of inconsistency – then it’s the system that’s wrong not the roster.

Just the things DeBoer says reek of ass coverage – not seeking.  Really – I think he’s got a creep complex.  He’s got some sort of personality complex going that causes him to reward his idea of a good attitude.  You can’t keep that up, you cant CLING to that, use it always as your life raft – your ALWAYS UNSUCCESSFUL life raft.  You cannot stick to some bullsh!t principal you hold personally dear if it’s not EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER – DUDE I CANNOT WRITE EVER ENOUGH HERE ---

EVER

resulting in ANY KIND OF SUCCESS – THERE IS NO MORAL VICTORY HERE!  THERE IS ONLY LOSING!!!!

What the fvck is WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?!???!?

I think some statement has to be made.  I'm not sure what that maybe.

If decisions are being dictated by Lou, then no, firing DeBoer isn't going to be helpful.

But there has to be some change - and not just for one line change, you know?  The accountability is all just messed up.  I really have to go out on several limbs to justify nearly every choice that is made. 

If Scott Gomez could help this team, he would have made it. Or been signed to an AHL deal.

Unless you think you're smarter than Lou (which would make sense given your post history), Gomez vs. Ryder doesnt even merit a post.

As usual you avoid the question and change the subject when your position is challenged and you can't answer the question. As for my being smarter than Lou, I never said that but you at times have questioned Lou's positions and you seem to disagree with DeBoer decisions.

We don't have a Gomez vs Ryder thread.

As usual you avoid the question and change the subject when your position is challenged and you can't answer the question. As for my being smarter than Lou, I never said that but you at times have questioned Lou's positions and you seem to disagree with DeBoer decisions.

We don't have a Gomez vs Ryder thread.

This is 2014. The scott gomez of 1999 is long gone. This Scott gomez notched 12 points last year after struggling to crack the Panthers lineup.

i dont thinkoates could do any worse at this point. if hes available i can see that making sense

I don't know what Oates is doing but I would give him a try, because change is needed.

I would support bringing in Mr. Adam Oates.

..this makes sense on many levels, mainly because Oates is available currently.. but also due to the fact that Lou shows loyalty to SC\SCF personnel. I'm all in favor in seeing what Oates can do with this team.

Oates really wasn't that great for us guys, and he then went on to do worse with the Capitals, take a step back..

..since the 2011-12 season, tell me.. how many steps forward has PD taken?

I think a change is need and for the best of the organization. 

Our vets would play and produce the same with any coaches im sure while some of our kids will never have success with DeBoer.

eventhough our core is the vets i still think we should put more into our younsters and give them anything they'd need to be part of the future.

I was thinking about Gomez last night.  See... Holik was brought back probably more to be a set of ears for Lou.  and he didnt' take up that banner. 

Lou needed someone to tell him the truth. 

Lou has no ears in that locker room and hasn't for quiet some time.  Elias is so -- Elias.  Jagr is Jagr.  Holik used to be such a wonderful loud mouth - he was very transparent and thus you could tell what was really going on.  Everyone now -- they're all nice guys.  They are Bryce Salvador.  All that's good and all that truly sucks.  No one wants to be the bad guy -- or the snap judgement guy.  Everyone is that "you're better than that" guy.  The fvcker who tries to shame you into mediocrity, destroying all passion or divergent thought.  The destroyer of productive communication.  Everyone is the "it's not really my place" guy.

loser milquetoast pantywaists <_<

Gomez is too vapid to see any kind of truth.  It's not that he went to the Rangers - its' what took him there - that never changes.  He's a moron.  He's of no use to the team more than any other cog they have now.  He brings nothing fresh to the table.  He doesn't know the real system -- The Ineffable System. He doesn't know what the Quintessential Devil is.  No one knows any more.  :evilcry:

If this loss broke your faith enough that you'd think Oates would be a better fit here than DeBoer, you might want to read through this from a Caps blog last season:

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2014/04/02/fire-adam-oates-yes-or-yes-or-no-but-cmon-yes/

I'm not in favor of firing the PDB, but if there is a better option out there that can maximize the returns on what is essentially an average to somewhat mediocre forward group... I'll take it. Oates is not that guy, though. 

Disclaimer: I'm a fan, with no inside knowledge of the locker room politics. This is purely speculation.

I think the veterans have run the show for a while now. I honestly don't think PDB has the balls to scratch a guy that's been with the organization for a while - this includes Salvador, Zubrus, Gionta, Zidlicky, etc. I wouldn't say he's lost control of the room, but there just.. doesn't seem to be any panic in their games. He's SO HARD on the young guys, yet veterans seem to have no urgency out there.

It's not that he won't scratch a vet...he's sat Fayne, Tallinder, Volchenkov and this year Ruutu. He just won't scratch the two guys everyone wants him to.

I think a change is need and for the best of the organization. 

Our vets would play and produce the same with any coaches im sure while some of our kids will never have success with DeBoer.

eventhough our core is the vets i still think we should put more into our younsters and give them anything they'd need to be part of the future.

I know you don't want to read this, but the kids are having success. It's one of the few bright spots this season, actually. Severson is averaging 22 minutes a game now and 2nd on the team in PP time, while Merrill is getting 20 and over 2 mins on the PK per game. Gelinas is playing less than them, but that's because he's a disaster on defense. I'd like to see Larsson get more games. Also, Josefson was out there killing penalties. A coach will only have you doing that if he trusts you. I would have liked Boucher to get some more ice time when the game was out of reach last night. 

I think we also see Kinkaid by next month. Clem is bringing nothing.