DeBoer "Firing Watch" Thread

mfitz804

DeBoer also said he passed along the shootout responsibilities to assistant coach Foligno

From TG: 

Actually, DeBoer is relying on assistant coach Mike Foligno to suggest the shooters this season. Devils center Patrik Elias had been in DeBoer’s ear for a while, however, to give Josefson a chance.

After all, Josefson scored one of the Devils’ four shootout goals last season – yes, they scored only four on 45 attempts – and he had been impressive in practices, too.

“This year, Mike Foligno down on the bench has kind of taken the lead role in that,” DeBoer explained. “So, he was kind of throwing names by me and, like I said, Patrik Elias jumped in and was throwing Jo’s name in there. I think because Jo’s been good in practices, I think it was an easy pick and to his credit, under a lot of pressure, he went in and made a great play.”

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/josefson-schneider-come-through-as-devils-finally-end-shootout-losing-streak-with-2-1-win-over-jets-1.1123325

Edited by jtx00

which is even more troubling...

why would a guy (who havent scored lately) has to go to the coach and convince / push for one of the 2-3 guys who actually scored in the last 2 seasons?

Can Deboer be THIS stubborn?

I don't know. I think I read that TG wrote Jagr was asking to allow JJ to play in games, not positive about this.

I can't stand him, that's all. I hate the excuses, I hate his post games, I hate people using "talent" as an excuse when coaches have done a lot more with a lot less before.

Just ugh!

He didn't throw out a ton of excuses in the post game tonight. I believe he had said there was "not much good" to take away from the game. That's about right with how we played.

He didn't throw out a ton of excuses in the post game tonight. I believe he had said there was "not much good" to take away from the game. That's about right with how we played.

I know not tonight, but it really feels like he wont own any part of the disasters on the ice. Its the players not performing. At what point, as a leader, do you not shoulder any of the blame and send it all towards your players?

Schneider game in and game out falls on the sword without blaming the team in front of him. Never see that from leadership.

IDK I'm really short fused this week, and the Devils sure as hell arent helping

Unfortunately, I think the Devils will continue spiraling downward like the NY Jets or NY Giants without making a change at the helm.  Lou has been showing "zen-like" patience the last few years, and I can only imagine it being a result of Lamoriello having messed something up along the way and him being loyal to the guys that went along with it.

Also, he isn't gonna fire DeBoer when he prevented him from getting the head coaching position in Toronto.  He prevented him when he basically said at season's end "DeBoer is under contract for next year"...if that's really true, we will never know.

I believe we need to look past these last 3 games. Half of the top 6 is missing, which is obviously hurting offensive production. This is the wrong time to be impetuous, and as a result, the best course of action is to follow Lou's mantra "When you have time, you use it."

However, there is one fix Deboer can make immediately, and that is having the Devils come up in waves rather than attempting a difficult outlet pass or a bank off the glass. Lemaire instituted this in 3rd stint when we had a far less competent defense from a PMD perspective. I would also explore the Semin avenue, but with a caveat. None of our young d-men can be included in the deal, instead we should look to trade Brunner and Ryder. I'm not fond of these players for multiple reasons, but for a team like Carolina, which is historically cheap, they should be an enticing asset since they are both expiring contracts.   

I do not believe a new coach is the answer to our problems. But coaches don't last when the team plays like ass.

We need some actual top 6 forwards, we have maybe 2-3 guys who fit the bill and another three that are not top 6 on any other team.

We need a strong veteran defenseman (who can still skate and play) to help guide the young defensemen.

And we need Cory to lay like he is capable of doing. 91% save percentage is not going to cut it.

Something needs to be done road dress the lack of offense since TGE departures of Kovy and Parise. Until they do that, they aren't going to be competitive.

And if they aren't competitive, the coach is at risk of being axed.

I believe we need to look past these last 3 games. Half of the top 6 is missing, which is obviously hurting offensive production. This is the wrong time to be impetuous, and as a result, the best course of action is to follow Lou's mantra "When you have time, you use it."

However, there is one fix Deboer can make immediately, and that is having the Devils come up in waves rather than attempting a difficult outlet pass or a bank off the glass. Lemaire instituted this in 3rd stint when we had a far less competent defense from a PMD perspective. I would also explore the Semin avenue, but with a caveat. None of our young d-men can be included in the deal, instead we should look to trade Brunner and Ryder. I'm not fond of these players for multiple reasons, but for a team like Carolina, which is historically cheap, they should be an enticing asset since they are both expiring contracts.

The issue with this is that Carolina is clearly a bad team and their management must have known this going into the season. They didn't do anything in the off-season to improve the team, so I have to think they're looking to get a high pick in the draft in order to pick up some quality talent in the draft. With that in mind, I'd have to imagine they'd be more interested in getting draft picks rather than roster players if they look into trading away assets.

I do not believe a new coach is the answer to our problems. But coaches don't last when the team plays like ass.

We need some actual top 6 forwards, we have maybe 2-3 guys who fit the bill and another three that are not top 6 on any other team.

We need a strong veteran defenseman (who can still skate and play) to help guide the young defensemen.

And we need Cory to lay like he is capable of doing. 91% save percentage is not going to cut it.

Something needs to be done road dress the lack of offense since TGE departures of Kovy and Parise. Until they do that, they aren't going to be competitive.

And if they aren't competitive, the coach is at risk of being axed.

When healthy, we have top 6 caliber forwards playing on the 3rd line.  Henrique, Elias, Jagr, Zajac, Cammalleri, and Ryder, are all top 6 players.  They may not be amazing top 6 players, but they are top 6 players.  All of them are at least 40 point players.  A few are 60 point players.  Clowe, Ruutu, and Havlat are borderline top 6 players.  I think Josefson can be in a top 6 role if he gets the chance.

I agree we need another vet defenseman.  I wished we held onto Fayne, but I can't really blame him for leaving.  I also wish we would have bought out Salvador instead of Volchenkov.

Cory has been fine.  He has a .931 EV SV%.  His SV% on the pk is what's been bringing his numbers down.

Offense hasn't been a problem this year.  And even when we couldn't score to save our lives, it's wrong to say we haven't been competitive.

When healthy, we have top 6 caliber forwards playing on the 3rd line.  Henrique, Elias, Jagr, Zajac, Cammalleri, and Ryder, are all top 6 players.  They may not be amazing top 6 players, but they are top 6 players.  All of them are at least 40 point players.  A few are 60 point players.  Clowe, Ruutu, and Havlat are borderline top 6 players.  I think Josefson can be in a top 6 role if he gets the chance.

I agree we need another vet defenseman.  I wished we held onto Fayne, but I can't really blame him for leaving.  I also wish we would have bought out Salvador instead of Volchenkov.

Cory has been fine.  He has a .931 EV SV%.  His SV% on the pk is what's been bringing his numbers down.

Offense hasn't been a problem this year.  And even when we couldn't score to save our lives, it's wrong to say we haven't been competitive.

You must be watching different Devils games than I am watching ! I think most Devils fans would agree with me.

We'll be totally fvcked if we can't right this ship starting tomorrow. NYR is getting better and PHI has gotten it's legs. CBJ will be competitive pretty soon once they get some of their key guys back.

That's what people say about us :P

And like us Columbus may be buried by that point.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You must be watching different Devils games than I am watching ! I think most Devils fans would agree with me.

I'm confused by this response.  I just listed a bunch of facts.

We'll be totally fvcked if we can't right this ship starting Monday. NYR is getting better and PHI has gotten it's legs. CBJ will be competitive pretty soon once they get some of their key guys back.

The Rags haven't been getting better.  They've had the same consistency problems we have.

Edited by Mike Brown