DeBoer "Firing Watch" Thread

whoa whoa.. careful now!!! We're not allowed to bring up his 3 years in Florida......... or last season either!! (after all, poor Pete had so much to deal with the Brodeur\Schneider drama) Can't bring up what's happened thus-far.. this season just started after all. Can't look @ 2013 either!!!! That was a half-a-season lockout year, and should absolutely be stricken from the record.

All we will focus on his 2012. The wonderful, lovely, magnificent SCF run in 2012. Everything else with DeBoer doesn't matter as a Head Coach.. just 2012. Doesn't matter that this is his 7th year of exp. on the job.. 2012 should be the only season that gets glorified! :thumbsup:

Beezer, you shouldn't bring up Florida. You don't have a clue if he did a good job or not. But Lou thought so enough to hire him. That's all that should really matter in the equation. 

You are completely making up people's arguments. No one is saying focus on 2012.  No one is saying the lockout should be stricken from the record.

Some people are saying, man the 2013 team played damn well since Lou replaced Parise with PLAN B (Bobby Butler) and also lost Sykora's 20 goals. Shockingly they started losing over and over only when Kovalchuk went down. But they were really playing well during that stretch and most of the year. Unfortunately Brodeur was bad, and Johan Hedberg was even worse when Brodeur went down....like bad to the tune of .883 save percentage playing in almost half the team's games that year. The Devils only gave up the fewest shots on goal that year. That wasn't saving them from Brodeur's suckyness and Hedberg's much worse suckyness.

Are these "excuses" not valid enough? What about Lou so desperately trying to find offense bringing back Pony, trading for Loktionov,  Sullivan, adding D'Agostini, or Kostopolous. after 18-year old Stephan Matteau didn't work. Again, this team was still able to play some fantastic hockey. Losses like this were awful (look at the SOG. Look at the roster)

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/201304120NJD.html

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/201303250OTT.html

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/201304150TOR.html

On another note, I've heard a lot about 2012 result being a fluke? Why is it a fluke? The only thing flukey may have been Marty Brodeur playing so well after the 1st round at his age. That was a very good team that dominated the Flyers, played better than the Rangers, and mostly played better than the Panthers. It was close against Florida, but that's what happens sometimes in these series. There are close calls on Stanley Cup Finals runs. Just in the last 4 years...

The Canucks and Bruins both survived game 7 OTs in the first round on their way  to a Finals matchup

The Bruins came back from a 4-1 deficit with 9 minutes to go in Game 7 only to win and advance to the Finals.

The Kings were getting curb-stomped by the Sharks for 3 games last year before turning it around while the Rangers got through two game 7s

Maybe call it a fluke, if he had the exact same team the last 4 years. They lost Zach Parise. Lou was right when he said you don't replace Zach Parise. They have badly missed his tenacious scoring the past two years. Regardless what people wanted to say when he left, he's one of the best hockey players in the league. When you lose him, you need goaltending, and that was not up to par even with elite team defense. 

Anyway, the last few years have sucked. I'll just continue to fight that Deboer had little to do with it. Again, you want to bring up the Panthers without knowing what that team was about or what he did. Go ahead. Not like the Panthers have flourished with him gone (1st overall pick this yr). Not like they have only been a basement dweller for the past 15 years. And as Tri pointed out just before I posted this, not like they had a good team when he was there.

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found the quotes:

WHOLEY UNDERWEAR!  Are you trying to deflect from your inane fire Hugh thread or what?   His system isn't a system -- it's bullsh!t.  It does not deserve the honor of being called a system.   ---- T

Sure, go ahead, bring up his 3 years in Florida.  You can bring them up all you like.  The problem for you guys is that you can't just say 'He didn't make the playoffs in Florida, therefore he's no go

Posted Images

I disagree with getting rid of DB. Do you think he's coaching a stanley cup calibre team? Seriously? Would Babcock be doing better with this same personel?

4 basic D  rookies (Merrill, Severson, Gellinas, & Lars_ yet, he's RUINING our young players?

I'm sorry folks, but you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh>t

This team, as constructed, is fair to midlin, no coach is coming in here and "fixing" anything

Beezer, you shouldn't bring up Florida. You don't have a clue if he did a good job or not. But Lou thought so enough to hire him. That's all that should really matter in the equation. 

No one is saying focus on 2012.  No one is saying the lockout should be stricken from the record. You are completely making up people's arguments.

..oh no I'm not. These are legit arguments\debates that I've had with posters on njdevs and HF. EVERY failed coach can bring up a thousand excuses as to why it just didn't work out for him. Somehow PD's are the only one's with validity.

ur still talking about a gm that is very sentimental and fond of players coaches that have had success here.  

..you're also talking about a jelly-jar throwing GM with a temper.. and if this team continues winning 2 games every 7-8 played, Pete DeBoer will be gone by Christmas. Case Closed.

Edited by Beezer34

I still can't wrap my head around people going nuts over a 4-3-2 start with a chance to make it 5-3-2 for the first month tonight.

Even if we lose tonight and go 4-4-2 I would take that over how we started last year any day.

I still can't wrap my head around people going nuts over a 4-3-2 start with a chance to make it 5-3-2 for the first month tonight.

Even if we lose tonight and go 4-4-2 I would take that over how we started last year any day.

I have no idea what people were expecting. The record is pretty much what should be expected. The goal scoring has improved, the defense and goaltending need to find their game

I agree, the one exception being the rags loss... If we win that game the deboer hate isn't nearly as loud, unfortunately we blew a two goal lead to our hated rivals in the 2nd home game of the season.

I agree, the one exception being the rags loss... If we win that game the deboer hate isn't nearly as loud, unfortunately we blew a two goal lead to our hated rivals in the 2nd home game of the season.

And the Rangers game coupled with the Stars game contribute to the hate here. PDB threw out a line of slow and slower and then in the SO he went with Jagr who is notoriously bad at shootouts. The shootouts thing is boggling. He goes with the same guys time and time again. I know Cory is a sieve in shootouts but perhaps he prevents a goal. That gives us  shot, but not with the same SO guys.

He made some good choices tonight for the shootout.  Yayo scored one last year too if anybody remembers.

Great job by Deboer tonight

Excellent game by him tonight.  He benched Salvador in the 3rd, and changed some things around to change what wasn't working.  Well coached game.

It was. I was grabbing my pitchfork when he put Josefson in the SO. That turned out pretty well.

Why?  I was applauding that move.  He scored a sick SO goal last year, and he had that goal against PIT.  He actually went with his gut this time instead of whatever else it is he uses to pick his shootout lineup.

SO lineup needs to be JJ, Brunner and random 3rd person. Cam maybe? I'd be interested to see if Ryder could just pick a spot and rip it since he has a really great, accurate wrister. JJ and Brunner need to be locks for the SO for now though.

It was. I was grabbing my pitchfork when he put Josefson in the SO. That turned out pretty well.

Josefson was one of the few guys who actually had scored a SO goal in the last year and was playing well all night, THAT'S what you were gonna kill Pete over?! :lol:

Josefson was one of the few guys who actually had scored a SO goal in the last year and was playing well all night, THAT'S what you were gonna kill Pete over?! :lol:

Josefson is one of the few guys on this team that can actually lift a puck in the shootout. Maybe the only guy.

Though after Jagr was robbed by Pavelec with 7 seconds to go I was certain this would be shootout loss #19 in a row. Just had that feeling.

SO lineup needs to be JJ, Brunner and random 3rd person. Cam maybe? I'd be interested to see if Ryder could just pick a spot and rip it since he has a really great, accurate wrister. JJ and Brunner need to be locks for the SO for now though.

Old habits die hard. I initially pictured CamJan trying to score a shootout goal (but only after shaking off his elbow pad) before remembering we have a better Cam now.

The shootouts thing is boggling. He goes with the same guys time and time again. I know Cory is a sieve in shootouts but perhaps he prevents a goal. That gives us  shot, but not with the same SO guys.

I see this a lot, but it's not really close to true. 

Last season, he used a total of 14 shooters over 13 shootouts. 

All listed here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142NJDSASALL&sort=shotsTaken&viewName=shootouts

Only Elias was selected for more than 1/2 the shootouts (8 times), and at least 2 of those were in the later rounds of unending attempts (the 6 rounder against NYI and the 9 rounder against Buffalo, off the top of my head). 

The guys at the top of the attempts list are guys have some of the better career success rates on the team, so it's not illogical to try and rely on them to break the slump.

Yea it's going to take a while for Cam to register as Mike Cammalleri

though the real Cam is still plugging away in Albany. Even has a goal this year

100 shooting%...he's one-for-one.

You don't like Josefson either? It was Elias that was pushing for JJ to be the shooter.

which is even more troubling...

why would a guy (who havent scored lately) has to go to the coach and convince / push for one of the 2-3 guys who actually scored in the last 2 seasons?

Can Deboer be THIS stubborn?