DeBoer "Firing Watch" Thread

mfitz804

Beezer, you shouldn't bring up Florida. You don't have a clue if he did a good job or not. But Lou thought so enough to hire him. That's all that should really matter in the equation. 

No one is saying focus on 2012.  No one is saying the lockout should be stricken from the record. You are completely making up people's arguments.

..oh no I'm not. These are legit arguments\debates that I've had with posters on njdevs and HF. EVERY failed coach can bring up a thousand excuses as to why it just didn't work out for him. Somehow PD's are the only one's with validity.

ur still talking about a gm that is very sentimental and fond of players coaches that have had success here.  

..you're also talking about a jelly-jar throwing GM with a temper.. and if this team continues winning 2 games every 7-8 played, Pete DeBoer will be gone by Christmas. Case Closed.

Edited by Beezer34

I still can't wrap my head around people going nuts over a 4-3-2 start with a chance to make it 5-3-2 for the first month tonight.

Even if we lose tonight and go 4-4-2 I would take that over how we started last year any day.

I have no idea what people were expecting. The record is pretty much what should be expected. The goal scoring has improved, the defense and goaltending need to find their game

I still can't wrap my head around people going nuts over a 4-3-2 start with a chance to make it 5-3-2 for the first month tonight.

Even if we lose tonight and go 4-4-2 I would take that over how we started last year any day.

I agree, the one exception being the rags loss... If we win that game the deboer hate isn't nearly as loud, unfortunately we blew a two goal lead to our hated rivals in the 2nd home game of the season.

I agree, the one exception being the rags loss... If we win that game the deboer hate isn't nearly as loud, unfortunately we blew a two goal lead to our hated rivals in the 2nd home game of the season.

And the Rangers game coupled with the Stars game contribute to the hate here. PDB threw out a line of slow and slower and then in the SO he went with Jagr who is notoriously bad at shootouts. The shootouts thing is boggling. He goes with the same guys time and time again. I know Cory is a sieve in shootouts but perhaps he prevents a goal. That gives us  shot, but not with the same SO guys.

He made some good choices tonight for the shootout.  Yayo scored one last year too if anybody remembers.

Great job by Deboer tonight

Excellent game by him tonight.  He benched Salvador in the 3rd, and changed some things around to change what wasn't working.  Well coached game.

It was. I was grabbing my pitchfork when he put Josefson in the SO. That turned out pretty well.

Why?  I was applauding that move.  He scored a sick SO goal last year, and he had that goal against PIT.  He actually went with his gut this time instead of whatever else it is he uses to pick his shootout lineup.

Josefson was one of the few guys who actually had scored a SO goal in the last year and was playing well all night, THAT'S what you were gonna kill Pete over?! :lol:

Josefson is one of the few guys on this team that can actually lift a puck in the shootout. Maybe the only guy.

Though after Jagr was robbed by Pavelec with 7 seconds to go I was certain this would be shootout loss #19 in a row. Just had that feeling.

SO lineup needs to be JJ, Brunner and random 3rd person. Cam maybe? I'd be interested to see if Ryder could just pick a spot and rip it since he has a really great, accurate wrister. JJ and Brunner need to be locks for the SO for now though.

Old habits die hard. I initially pictured CamJan trying to score a shootout goal (but only after shaking off his elbow pad) before remembering we have a better Cam now.

The shootouts thing is boggling. He goes with the same guys time and time again. I know Cory is a sieve in shootouts but perhaps he prevents a goal. That gives us  shot, but not with the same SO guys.

I see this a lot, but it's not really close to true. 

Last season, he used a total of 14 shooters over 13 shootouts. 

All listed here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142NJDSASALL&sort=shotsTaken&viewName=shootouts

Only Elias was selected for more than 1/2 the shootouts (8 times), and at least 2 of those were in the later rounds of unending attempts (the 6 rounder against NYI and the 9 rounder against Buffalo, off the top of my head). 

The guys at the top of the attempts list are guys have some of the better career success rates on the team, so it's not illogical to try and rely on them to break the slump.

Yea it's going to take a while for Cam to register as Mike Cammalleri

though the real Cam is still plugging away in Albany. Even has a goal this year

100 shooting%...he's one-for-one.

You don't like Josefson either? It was Elias that was pushing for JJ to be the shooter.

which is even more troubling...

why would a guy (who havent scored lately) has to go to the coach and convince / push for one of the 2-3 guys who actually scored in the last 2 seasons?

Can Deboer be THIS stubborn? 

I hope this is the first step to Pete's recovery.  We've been here so often before though.  But this was nice. Maybe that's what he meant by humbling.  Maybe it really dawned on him that input from others is helpful?  I just worry after the one win he'll think Ahh-- got through it now i can slip back to my old ways.

Stay Humble, Friend.

which is even more troubling...

why would a guy (who havent scored lately) has to go to the coach and convince / push for one of the 2-3 guys who actually scored in the last 2 seasons?

Can Deboer be THIS stubborn? 

Now you're taking issue with things that didn't happen?   No, DeBoer can't be that stubborn, because Josefson took the attempt.

Edited by Triumph