GDT: Jets @ Devils

Devils Pride 26

There were some pretty awful crowds after Marty got hurt in '09 (the Buffalo weekday game was barely north of 10k) and in the dark ages of MacLean in '10.

you're probably right. I just don't remember if they were reported as such in the box scores or if the Devs were numbers fudging back then

Just settling in after getting home and man, what a terrible game. Neither team could complete a pass, constant icings, just pure slop. Very lucky to have gotten any points, nevermind two. I'd love to say Pete has seen the light with his decisions but I feel that's still just not true. Very glad to get the shootout monkey off our back though, even if it was against the worst goalie in the league.

Seriously though, I can't think of a better way to win for several reasons:

A) They played a solid defensive game after they gave up a 4 spot. Jets have been struggling to score and they largely shut down Wheeler, Ladd, E. Kane, Byfuglien, Little and Scheifele.

B) They killed off both penalties. This doesn't need an explanation.

C) A nice little come back. They stuck with it after not being able to create much and Ryder got a much needed goal

D) Schneider rebounded with an excellent game.

E) Larsson played very well, despite playing with Captain Salvador. Managed to pull a positive Fenwick Close, while Salvador was the worst dman on the team. Had some shifts when the Devils were chasing a goal and in overtime. Had some nice 1 on 1 defensive plays and did not play timid at all.

F) How many odd man rushes did Severson break up? Seriously, the guy is a stud.

G) Josefson got to play with offensively skilled players! Had a solid game and got promoted on a line with Boucher and Brunner. Usually, DeBoer would put Gionta in that spot

H) WE WON A fvckING SHOOTOUT!

Larsoon looked much better. He was engaged. I could see desire and anger in his eyes, it was a nice change. He had quick feet all night.

I either think Elias has a hand/wrist injury or he changed his stick. He has had embarrisingly bad hands since the preseason. He fights the puck every second he is on the ice.

Zajac looks in a fog at times.

Schneids still did not look settled to me.

Those WPG attempts were Devils bad.

JJ looked great. Good speed.

How many more years of Clowe?

That was a hell of a finish by Rydes.

Officiating was not very good.

Best game Jagr played all season. Really played with heart and anger, which translated to him being dominant with the biscuit.

Edited by hystyk28

12,897 at the Morgue on Mulberry tonight. This is the first time in a while where it's truly dipped to Islander level. I'm thinking this is one of the worst non weather emergency crowds we've ever had. Usually we'd bottom out at around 14,000 with the very rare dip into 13,000's. But never in the 12's

This isn't new 7.  We always have 1-4 games like this every season.  October and November attendance is always terrible.  It'll ramp up after Thanksgiving.

Can't help but feel they were shopping Larsson tonight.

Lots of scouts from multiple teams were in the building tonight.

Or they played like sh!t and needed am upgrade on defense. There is definitely a role for Larsson on this team, especially with how much they've struggled defensively.

Edited by devilsrule33

Yeah, if the team trades Larsson, what are they doing on defense going forward?  I think there is definitely a place for Larsson on this team - he's just got to be better than Gelinas.  Maybe in the off-season they make some kind of move but right now it doesn't seem to make sense to me.  

A lot of talk about attendance. Is anyone surprised? This team has been hard viewing for 2 seasons and lacks any form of top end player in his prime. There is very little to sell this team with to the casual fan at the moment.

As for the game they slowly got better as it went on. Cory bailed the team out so many times tonight. Which he should. Great to see Larsson back in the lineup and playing well.

I hope JJ can finally nail down his place. He has got to be looking to edge out Gionta, he has the skill.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

Seriously though, I can't think of a better way to win for several reasons:

A) They played a solid defensive game after they gave up a 4 spot. Jets have been struggling to score and they largely shut down Wheeler, Ladd, E. Kane, Byfuglien, Little and Scheifele.

B) They killed off both penalties. This doesn't need an explanation.

C) A nice little come back. They stuck with it after not being able to create much and Ryder got a much needed goal

D) Schneider rebounded with an excellent game.

E) Larsson played very well, despite playing with Captain Salvador. Managed to pull a positive Fenwick Close, while Salvador was the worst dman on the team. Had some shifts when the Devils were chasing a goal and in overtime. Had some nice 1 on 1 defensive plays and did not play timid at all.

F) How many odd man rushes did Severson break up? Seriously, the guy is a stud.

G) Josefson got to play with offensively skilled players! Had a solid game and got promoted on a line with Boucher and Brunner. Usually, DeBoer would put Gionta in that spot

H) WE WON A fvckING SHOOTOUT!

I was going to post something very similar to this...a lot of nice lil' positives last night. 

Feel for Elias...that shootout move was so feeble.  He's reached the point where you pretty much have to ignore his overall shootout numbers (33.3% career) and realize he's not very good at this anymore.

Devils are probably never going to be consistently good in shootouts in the Cory era...he has a .594 save% in these things lifetime.  Marty was over .700 for most of his career (finished at .693...he had a .455 shootout save% in '12-'13 and a .500 mark in '13-'14)...and then you have guys like MAF (.771) and Lundqvist (.757), who just own these things, for whatever the reason.  Not knocking Cory for his lack of shootout prowess...it's the same deal as shooters...you hope either your best players happen to be good shootout performers, or that you have an otherwise meh player or two that happen to be shootout savants.  If you don't...oh well, you're somewhat screwed.  If the Devils go .450-.500 in shootouts over the next 5-6 years, I'll take it.   

this game looked more like a tennis match at times, the possession changes were rapid

zid is nightmarish with his passing...

that was a hell of a wrister that beat cory and rang off the cross(it was fast on the slow motion replay lol)

big big goal by ryder, no post that time

larsson was strong along the boards using his body and good on gap control, he kept his speed up

need more from henrique and zajac

cory bounced back, and we got 2 pts

Edited by EdgeControl

After 10 games last season:  1-5-4  (6 points)

After 10 games this season:  5-3-2  (12 points)

Double the points...and for some reason, among some, double the misery. 

After these next two home games, the Devils' schedule turns brutal:  15 out of their next 20 games are on the road.  By the time that stretch will have ended (12/15), the Devils will have played 21 road games and just 11 home games on the season.  Hopefully they can stay afloat and have something like 38-40 points by the time that's all done. 

• Like 1

Some things I noticed from the game: Smallest crowd I can remember since Phoenix in 2011 (Fanye's first goal). Crowd was a morgue. But then again a lot of it had to do with the team.

Weber walked up to 208 and spent a good portion of the period up there, I applaud him for that.

As for the game itself -

Larsson had a great first two periods playing aggressive and taking the body. Third period I remember him having a couple mistakes. Zidlicky is not very good anymore. He came here as a mobile puck mover, but now he's not mobile. Got abused on that goal. Cory played fantastic.

This team is dogsh!t without Cam and Havlat at the same time.

Seemed every other shift Zajac and Jagr were out there. They were the only ones getting anything going but at the same time Pete has to be careful about burning them out. It's amazing Jagr has barely any speed but still skates around people and gets good chances.

Merrill had a rough offensive game, seemed every time he had a chance the puck would bounce over.

Zubrus is through. FINISHED. Please stop putting him on the top line. I noticed they changed the lines in the third but it really seemed to be trial by fire. Clowe is getting there too, sadly.

Some things I noticed from the game: Smallest crowd I can remember since Phoenix in 2011 (Fanye's first goal). Crowd was a morgue. But then again a lot of it had to do with the team.

Weber walked up to 208 and spent a good portion of the period up there, I applaud him for that.

As for the game itself -

Larsson had a great first two periods playing aggressive and taking the body. Third period I remember him having a couple mistakes. Zidlicky is not very good anymore. He came here as a mobile puck mover, but now he's not mobile. Got abused on that goal. Cory played fantastic.

This team is dogsh!t without Cam and Havlat at the same time.

Seemed every other shift Zajac and Jagr were out there. They were the only ones getting anything going but at the same time Pete has to be careful about burning them out. It's amazing Jagr has barely any speed but still skates around people and gets good chances.

Merrill had a rough offensive game, seemed every time he had a chance the puck would bounce over.

Zubrus is through. FINISHED. Please stop putting him on the top line. I noticed they changed the lines in the third but it really seemed to be trial by fire. Clowe is getting there too, sadly.

Get used to Cam and Havlat missing games, it's what they do, though Cam is at least good for about 65 games or so.  Havlat, who knows? 

im not sure that its double the misery exactly.. i think that a lot of people were just expecting more then what we have seen from this team.. a basically average schneider it seems and an aging jagr and elias..

I know posters like DD56 have addressed this, but not sure what they were expecting.  A .600 point% seems about top end for this team.  That's a 98-point pace, and that's with Cammalleri and Havlat (predictably) being out of the lineup, and Schneider being inconsistent.  And Schneider will be fine.  He ain't finishing the season with a .906 save%.