Corporate Logos coming to NHL Jerseys

Chuck the Duck

I saw this article on SI.com, and thought it would be a worthwhile topic. 

Personally, I completely hate the idea of having corporate logos adorn the jerseys of any professional sports franchise.  I understand the economics behind it (it is one of the biggest economic factors in European soccer and will generate millions for each team in the league), but it's just plain tacky looking.   In a world where you can't walk 2 feet without some sort of advertising being thrust in your face, this is the last thing I want to see.  They will likely start with a small patch on the right shoulder, but you know eventually the monetary incentive will be so great that teams will be replacing their primary logo with a sponsor.    

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/11/06/nhl-coo-john-collins-jersey-advertisements-are-coming

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a jersey collector there is good and bad to this.

The bad is pretty obvious.  Not exactly appealing to see a jersey with a Bud Light or Frank's Red Hot patch right across the front or on the arms.  The other bad part is with the game worn dealers where you can see them going to tout and price jerseys depending on what patch is on the jersey.  I can see it now "The Elias gamer with the Modell's patch is worth $995.00 but the Elias gamer with the ultra-rare patch is worth $1495.00!!"

The good part is that the teams are standing to make $4M a year from these and for teams struggling to turn a profit like the Devils, this could only help.  The other good part is that with the patches for game worn collectors it should make photo-matching a little easier as well.

Overall it's kind of a mixed bag for me but I would prefer them not to.  According to what I have been reading it won't be insane level of advertising like on SHL jerseys (like what DD56 just posted lol) but more in line with what the KHL has which is a patch on one of the shoulders and possible arms.  This is not bad and the other thing I heard is that the replicas and retail authentics won't have patches on them.  However, this was inevitable and I think we will def see this within the next 2-5 seasons.

Edited by DevsMan84

It will be interesting to see how this will be implemented. Will teams have a choice? I can see Leafs or Wings ownership not being in favour of something like this, for example, whereas other owners may think it's a great way to add revenue without giving up to much. And will the money be distributed collectively or does each team keep their share of the ad revenue?

If Florida wants to stick ads on their jerseys to make a few bucks, more power to them. But I fear the NHL will share the revenue among all it's owners which is problematic for me. I don't see why the well-run and successful teams (and their fans in this case because I would assume all owners would have to agree to something like this) should have to compromise in order to fund perennial charity cases.

Hate the idea. And the thing with football (soccer, whatever) larger teams tend to have one 3rd lustre shirt sponsor. It's not that intrusive. Smaller teams start to sell of every bloody inch. Look at the kits from teams in the French league 1.

Hockey teams in Europe do much the same to generate revenue. It just looks horrible.

A few years back, someone had put together a collection of what NHL jerseys could look like if they used their Arena sponsor ships, granted they were in soccer form.

They weren't atrocious.

If i can scrounge up the picture somewhere, I'll post it.

EDIT: here's a link to a similar one. http://www.icethetics.co/concepts/2014/9/21/nhl-soccer-crossover

EDIT #2: The original: http://majupra.imgur.com/futbol_hockey_kit#16

Edited by jagknife

It will be interesting to see how this will be implemented. Will teams have a choice? I can see Leafs or Wings ownership not being in favour of something like this, for example, whereas other owners may think it's a great way to add revenue without giving up to much. And will the money be distributed collectively or does each team keep their share of the ad revenue?

If Florida wants to stick ads on their jerseys to make a few bucks, more power to them. But I fear the NHL will share the revenue among all it's owners which is problematic for me. I don't see why the well-run and successful teams (and their fans in this case because I would assume all owners would have to agree to something like this) should have to compromise in order to fund perennial charity cases.

Good question and if these owners are forced to put on the advertising, who will determine which ones?  The NHL or the teams?

If it is the NHL, can you imagine how awkward it would be if they put Dominos, Pizza Hut or Papa John's patches on the Detroit jerseys since their owner made his fortune by founding and still owning Little Caesars?

The rest of the leagues will follow soon enough.  They were all waiting for which domino would fall first and it looks like the NHL might be it.

I know they were talking about it in that other winter league in the near future.

and the NFL and some NHL teams already have small ones on their practice jerseys. [Patriots with Gillette, Flyers with McDonald's]

Edited by jagknife

I know they were talking about it in that other winter league in the near future.

and the NFL and some NHL teams already have small ones on their practice jerseys. [Patriots with Gillette, Flyers with McDonald's]

Yeah the Kings had McDonald's on their practice jerseys too (at least during the SCF last year).

It sucks but the $ is too just tempting.

The rest of the leagues will follow soon enough.  They were all waiting for which domino would fall first and it looks like the NHL might be it.

as you said i could see this changing the hobby of collecting quite a bit as far as how they are going to use which ads to flex player prices etc. i dont like this at all.. i wonder if it is going to affect the price of jerseys that are currently out now once the change takes place either lessening their value or making them worth more since they will no longer be available.

as you said i could see this changing the hobby of collecting quite a bit as far as how they are going to use which ads to flex player prices etc. i dont like this at all.. i wonder if it is going to affect the price of jerseys that are currently out now once the change takes place either lessening their value or making them worth more since they will no longer be available.

I really do not think it will make the current jerseys out now worth more or less.  I think just when the ads start you will most likely see that tiered pricing depending on what patch is on the jersey.

yea not having sponsor logos on the jerseys is really just money left on the table for all the sport leagues.. the NHL arguably needs money the most, so im not surprised to see them be the first to go for it.

it looks awful, hopefully they don't go overboard with it.  im sure we wont mind in a year or two

yea not having sponsor logos on the jerseys is really just money left on the table for all the sport leagues.. the NHL arguably needs money the most, so im not surprised to see them be the first to go for it.

it looks awful, hopefully they don't go overboard with it.  im sure we wont mind in a year or two

The Reebok contract with the NHL expires at the end of next season.  More likely than not the NHL will continue to use Reebok for it's jerseys and that will most likely be the prime time to add the advertisement patches.  At that point too I wouldn't be surprised to see the Reebok logo gone from the jersey and replaced either with CCM or Adidas.  Adidas owns Reebok and CCM and there are strong rumors that Adidas wants to re-brand Reebok away from sports jerseys and more towards women's workout apparel.  Would be awesome if they go back to CCM as some teams already this season in the AHL are using jerseys with CCM branding instead of Reebok.

I can honestly say that I will never pruchase a jersey with a sponsor logo on it (provided they sell them to the public).  That will be my silent protest of it.  It will be interesting to see if it affects jersey sales at all.  My guess is that it will not have any significant effect at all.

From what I have heard over the past day or so, the replicas and retail authentics will not be sold with sponsor patches on them.

im surprised a large company like nike or under armour arent in the running trying to get their hands in on taking over jerseys for the leauge.. well maybe not under armour i dont think they are as large..but nike is huge and has taken over nfl jerseys.. which are worse quality now then when reebok made nfl jerseys.

im surprised a large company like nike or under armour arent in the running trying to get their hands in on taking over jerseys for the leauge.. well maybe not under armour i dont think they are as large..but nike is huge and has taken over nfl jerseys.. which are worse quality now then when reebok made nfl jerseys.

There are a good contingent of jersey collectors as well as those who have played in Nike jerseys who just do not like them.  Their Swift jerseys were not exactly a hit for a lot of people and I was not impressed by their Olympic jerseys.

Apparently the NHL likes Reebok/Adidas and what they have done so far in their contract.  I would say it is almost a lock that they get a new contract with the NHL.  I would have liked to see what Under Armour could bring since their quality and their jerseys have been pretty nice from what I have seen and heard.  However, they are still considered a long shot at this point.

Under Armor is actually staring to make some noise though (i think they signed Steph Curry to a HUGE contract) and didn't they actually try to get Lebron?  They're dishing out tons of money right now, I wouldn't be suprised if they do try to be the first to get their name on this idea.

the Devils better just not end up with some ridiculous logo on their chest... (charmin, phillip morris, vaigra, <insert embarassing sponsore here>)

Under Armor is actually staring to make some noise though (i think they signed Steph Curry to a HUGE contract) and didn't they actually try to get Lebron?  They're dishing out tons of money right now, I wouldn't be suprised if they do try to be the first to get their name on this idea.

the Devils better just not end up with some ridiculous logo on their chest... (charmin, phillip morris, vaigra, <insert embarassing sponsore here>)

What do you mean?  Do you mean you wouldn't like BIMBO on the Devils jersey a la Philadelphia Union? haha

http://uniformcritics.com/soccer/mls/philadelphia-union/2011-2012-philadelphia-union-bimbo-bakeries-white-alternate-kit/

(Yes I know Bimbo is a baked goods company)

Hate the idea. And the thing with football (soccer, whatever) larger teams tend to have one 3rd lustre shirt sponsor. It's not that intrusive. Smaller teams start to sell of every bloody inch. Look at the kits from teams in the French league 1.

Hockey teams in Europe do much the same to generate revenue. It just looks horrible.

I don't know too much about soccer other than when I passively watch the World Cup or Olympics, but it sounds like Arsenal in the UK, you'd expect their jerseys to say "Arsenal" on them or have the official team logo...no, their jerseys just say "Fly Emerates" on the front...first impression from the ingonrants is "so they are the Fly Emerates team?"

What I see this lead to as well iif it gets too out of control is worse than AHL level ads on the ice, more like Euro standards - pretty much every piece of white space is sponsored by someone so it's hard to tell where the lines and faceoff dots are. If the goalie wasn't standing on it almost the whole game, the crease would be one big ad as well. Even paint the goal nets with some kind of ad