The Devils are bad and it's time to tank

Daniel

I don't think it's about "tanking" really. It's about making sure to go forward. We simply can't lose any assets anymore, we've already lost too much. 

I mean it's pretty damn common sense to me, we are NOT gonna win the cup with this team. We're a super old team with no top prospects coming our way... Well what do you think is gonna happen if we simply let our guys walk into the sunset or walk to another team?

We've missed the playoffs 2 years straight doing OUR BEST to make it...  fair to say our gambles didnt pay off at all. 

We "might" not make it if we try to trade for assets, but we might very well get the same damn results not doing it... and the other way around... there's no positive keeping them, again, we're not winning the cup, whats the point?

You get the assets you can and you get wtv pick you deserve at the end of it. wont be McDavid but it's gonna be a good player.

Then it's giving us more cap room to try to get players in free agency too cause its pretty clear were gonna have to pick in free agency for awhile again

Edited by SterioDesign

The problem with tanking is you have to lose players we want locked up long term to lose enough games. Even if we got rid of Elias, Jagr, Zids, and Clowe and Ryder by some miracle, Cam, Greene, Henrique, and especially Schneider are going to win you some games. And Pittsburgh had to suck for years and add a ton of pieces before they won, so you can't unload the good players, then start from scratch with McDavid, unless you want to be like the Isles, wasting Tavares' prime. This isn't basketball, where 1 guy can change a franchise. Look how well Pitt did when Crosby had the concussion issues. Much as I'd kill to have a once in a lifetime talent at forward, there's no real fix. Which doesn't mean I'm pleased with this team.

I don't think it's about "tanking" really. It's about making sure to go forward. We simply can't lose any assets anymore, we've already lost too much. 

I mean it's pretty damn common sense to me, we are NOT gonna win the cup with this team. We're a super old team with no top prospects coming our way... Well what do you think is gonna happen if we simply let our guys walk into the sunset or walk to another team?

We've missed the playoffs 2 years straight doing OUR BEST to make it...  fair to say our gambles didnt pay off at all. 

We "might" not make it if we try to trade for assets, but we might very well get the same damn results not doing it... and the other way around... there's no positive keeping them, again, we're not winning the cup, whats the point?

You get the assets you can and you get wtv pick you deserve at the end of it. wont be McDavid but it's gonna be a good player.

Then it's giving us more cap room to try to get players in free agency too cause its pretty clear were gonna have to pick in free agency for awhile again

I don't disagree that Lou should have more of an eye to the future, especially if we're several points out in February. Moves like trading for redundant pieces like Ruutu at the deadline when we could be pawning off a vet drives me nuts as well. What I'm taking issue with is the premise of the thread saying we should give up now and tank. Even if they Devils landed one of McDavid or Eichel, they still need to find 3-4 more good young forwards which is really where we find ourselves right now anyway. If you believe that our only chance to land top offensive talent is by tanking and getting the surefire top pick, that's more an indictment of our current scouting and development group. If that's the case, we'll need to stay at the bottom for 3 to 4 years to get all the top 6 forwards we need.

My point is, that as poorly constructed as this team is, the road back to being legitimate contender in the east is not as far off or hopeless as some make it seem. The goalie is in place, I don't think there is an NHL team out there with a more promising group of defenseman under 23, so we're back to needing to find those 3-4 young skill forwards. It's a deep draft so a good start would be finally hitting on a scorer in the 8-13 range (where I think we're headed) in a deep draft. Every years there's a guy like Nichuskin, F Forsberg, Tarasenko, Couture, Boedker or Jaden Schwartz available around there. How much better would things looks if we hit on two of those level guys in the next two drafts? I'm not sure the people we have in place in scouting and development are necessarily the ones who can pull that off but then you find people who can, not tear everything down and go full rebuild.

One of the moves the devils should make is trade Ryder. We are not going to resign him so might as well get something. I don't think the devils would play any different with out him

Zidlicky as well given that Gelinas seems to be growing into that role. A 2nd for Zidlicky and a 3rd for Ryder at the deadline would be a good haul.

Too bad we don't have a top line center to dangle to Edm.  i would not want D. Perron. It would take more to pry Eberle away, but that might put us further into the hole. Damn, where's Pikkareinen when you need him?

I think the return of camm has shown that our top line is not completely done yet, ruutu is playing well, henrique has returned, sal is sitting, the young D hasnt imploded, and we're fighting the sens, leafs, caps and philly for a couple of PO spots, 2?  not unrealistic with a hot schnieds

Im putting this thread on hold until the trading deadline

I actually agree with the selling. There's just no core here. A few young defensemen who may or may not pan out, a few mid level forwards (Zajac, Henrique) who, while important, aren't making or breaking anything, and what else are we looking at in three years? Who knows what we're getting from Boucher and Matteau. I think you gotta move what you have at this point to get some prospects and picks. Jagr, i'm sure someone will give us something for Ryder. I don't know, but it doesn't look great to me

I think PDB will be fired soon. And I believe he's not to blame. He did the best he could with what he was given. I'm guessing Dave Barr will take over and this season will go on with same results.

Folks, there is no magic trade that will fix this. On a positive note, we've got a decent young D core, and Lou has go outside the org for fw's.  Let's go Devils!

well if that trip did not show that we do not have a shot at the cup or do anything in the playoffs for the folks against the idea of selling for the future... they smoked the same stuff Lou is

I want Deboer gone but it won't make a difference, we have a terrible roster

Edited by SterioDesign

I think PDB will be fired soon. And I believe he's not to blame. He did the best he could with what he was given. I'm guessing Dave Barr will take over and this season will go on with same results.

Folks, there is no magic trade that will fix this. On a positive note, we've got a decent young D core, and Lou has go outside the org for fw's.  Let's go Devils!

I don't see how PDB survives if this team continues to win at a 3-out-of-every-11 games pace.  Lou is showing patience for now, but this team needs points.  No, not all PDB's fault, but the "can-the-coach" card is the easiest one to play.  Yeah, probably Barr that takes over, but who knows.