The Devils are bad and it's time to tank

Daniel

we all knew it would take a few years to climb out from the kovy rock, and parise was asking for too much cash. unfortunately we are tanking in that we are eating these aging contracts, they just happen to be playing while its going on, lol  zubie and patty have fallen off the edge faster than we thought, or more dramatically than we thought, zajac and ryder are not consistent scorers, henrique is who he is. these guys are just leaving too many goals on the table.  hell, 10 more collective goals from this group is what was needed, but its not happening

@capgeek: The Lightning, meanwhile, can add an AAV of ~$8.7M today and potentially ~$11.5M at the trade deadline. http://t.co/ncYUXY6vH4

Jagr will be on the Lightning within two months. A first rounder is probably a stretch, but not implausible.

Edit: updated based on retained salary in Brewer trade. Doesn't affect the analysis though.

@capgeek: 2/2 Ducks projected to finish $4.9M under cap; Lightning can add ~$7.7M today and potentially ~$8.1M at deadline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel

The roster itself hasn't been the problem.  It's our defensive system that sucks.  There's no leadership, no accountability, and no cohesiveness with this team.  This team has good players.  The offensive system isn't bad.  But we absolutely suck in the neutral zone and our defensive zone.  All of our problems are coaching related imo.

It's over guys. Rooting for the Devils to be one of the worst two teams in the league and for Marty to give a big fvck you to the stat a$$holes.

At this point if the Devils sh!t the bed and nab the #1 pick I would put that on par with beating the rags in game 6 a couple years ago.

We need mcdavid in the worst possible way.

At this point if the Devils sh!t the bed and nab the #1 pick I would put that on par with beating the rags in game 6 a couple years ago.

We need mcdavid in the worst possible way.

to be honest i kind of do hope they just dump on the season and get something good in the draft.. it will suck to watch crappy hockey for the rest of the season but i dont see this team getting much better by the next couple seasons without something major happening

It's over guys. Rooting for the Devils to be one of the worst two teams in the league and for Marty to give a big fvck you to the stat a$$holes.

You do realize that Marty wasn't very good the last couple of seasons? That facing a low number of shots was the only reason he had decent GAAs? That he put up .901 save%s in each of the last two years? That the best offer he could get after becoming a UFA was a "let's see what you've got" tryout roughly a quarter of the way into the season?

Do you think Marty was even average overall the last two years? Look, all the power to him if he gets signed and surprises, but the recent track record shows that's a longship.

You do realize that Marty wasn't very good the last couple of seasons? That facing a low number of shots was the only reason he had decent GAAs? That he put up .901 save%s in each of the last two years? That the best offer he could get after becoming a UFA was a "let's see what you've got" tryout roughly a quarter of the way into the season?

Do you think Marty was even average overall the last two years? Look, all the power to him if he gets signed and surprises, but the recent track record shows that's a longship.

And how's our supposed savior who can't handle the puck correctly if his life depended on it working out? Fools gold.

What do you want Daniel? Do you want Marty over Cory? Do you actually think the team would be better with Marty in net?

Lol imagine Marty on this team WITHOUT a top five deffense this year and with a historically bad PK and one of the worst shots against teams in the league. It would be a joke. Imagine a .900 save percentage while govong up 30 shots a gm.

Edited by Zubie#8

Goaltending isn't the problem....

It sure as **** wasn't tonight.  

I'm seriously starting to wonder if Fayne and Volchenov were better/more important than we all thought.  There's no good reason for this D to go from allowing 25 shots a game to 35, and that's WITH Severson playing well.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if Fayne and Volchenov were better/more important than we all thought.  There's no good reason for this D to go from allowing 25 shots a game to 35, and that's WITH Severson playing well.

Well duh.  Volchenkov was a shot blocking machine and Fayne is a great all around defenseman.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if Fayne and Volchenov were better/more important than we all thought. There's no good reason for this D to go from allowing 25 shots a game to 35, and that's WITH Severson playing well.

A goalie that can act like a third defenseman and change what attacking forwards have to do helps a lot in that department as well. But again, can just plug in a save percentage and that's the end all be all. If we keep telling ourselves that we'll still continue to suck.

A goalie that can act like a third defenseman and change what attacking forwards have to do helps a lot in that department as well. But again, can just plug in a save percentage and that's the end all be all. If we keep telling ourselves that we'll still continue to suck.

If there's one thing that bothers me about Schneider, it's his rebound control.  His puck handling is fine.  You can't expect every goalie to be like Marty.

Right like it's impossible to win games and keep shots against down if you don't have a goalie that can play the puck.  I guess Patrick Wah wouldn't be good enough for us either cause he couldn't play the puck to save his life.  One of the many problems the Devils have is they're in denial and ask Cory to play the puck which he cannot do.  He's better off when he doesn't even try.

You're getting into skeeter trolling territory right now.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Daniel's also ignoring that Elias and Jagr aren't playing as well as they did last season, that the team is allowing a lot more SOG this year...it's not just about plugging in save%. And Marty was only one of the best, if not THE best, puckhandling goalies of all time. We knew the Devils were going to experience a dropoff as far as that particular skill goes, and like Has hints at, it's not like you can't win without a goalie who can be good at playing the puck.