GDT: Colorado Avalanche VS New Jersey Devils 11/15/14

2ELIAS6

People were all over Marty for softies. Now it's Schneider giving them up. Maybe all goalies give up goals they shouldn't sometimes??

Why wasn't Cory giving them up last year for the most part?  Is it all the mythical pressure of being 'the guy' now?  He's been a LOT worse than he was last year and he had some tremendous stretches playing six games in nine days, when the workload was at its biggest last year.

Did I hear some Marty's better chants in the upper level?

After the second goal, I heard a loud, very audible HEY! YOU SUCK! chant. It was after the goal song, after play had started up again. [emoji58]

Jesus Christmas I hate our fvcking fanbase

Yeah we have some real winners... Sadly, I'm not surprised to hear that about the Marty chants. Edited by MadDog2020

Supposedly according to a poster on HF the Marty's Better chants were directed at Roy.  But it really wouldn't shock me if they got directed at Cory in the near future if they weren't already tonight.

The other way to look at it is at least we didn't lose much ground tonight... I'm still really annoyed about this one though.

Cue the inevitable Mike Brown post about still being in the hunt

Jesus Christmas I hate our fvcking fanbase

You guys are way off base on this.

I was at the game.

Yes, there was Marty's better chants from the upper deck, however, they were NOT directed towards Cory.

Each time the chant started with 'Hey Roy.....Marty's better'

So before killing our fans, get your facts straight.

You guys are way off base on this.

I was at the game.

Yes, there was Marty's better chants from the upper deck, however, they were NOT directed towards Cory.

Each time the chant started with 'Hey Roy.....Marty's better'

So before killing our fans, get your facts straight.

With some booing Cory at the intros I will not be surprised that a chant like this will one day happen.

In Section 119, these lowlives kept booing Cory all game. After the tying game, they screamed "SCHNEIDER YOU fvckING SUCK, YOU DON'T BELONG ON THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS!!!" and me and my boy stood up and set the record straight, told them to go the fvck to MSG and be Rangers fans if that's how you're gonna talk about our team.

They were also chanting "WE WANT MARTY!" chants all game from the first goal-on.

Edited by DJ Eco

The team's offense and power play needs to step it up and get that extra goal a game to take pressure off the defense and Cory late in these games. I know the focus tonight is on Cory's mistake (which I'm not defending, that goal can't go in) but the Devils keep making their lives difficult by not extending their leads when they have the opportunity to do so.

Severson has become victim of lofty and unreasonable expectations by many of you. I was at the game and thought he was fine. Certainly no worse than the other defensemen.

Zidlicky was exceedingly mediocre again. Greene was okay but added nothing offensively. Gelinas had his goal but also had a few adventures defensively. Larsson had a giveaway but also had some really great shifts. Helgeson was average I thought.

Oh and I guess it was too tough of a building for us tonight.

I'm just WAITING for Pete to slip up and say it during a home game lol, it'll probably happen soon.

This is just people dumping on Pete for anything. Anyone who has followed hockey for more than a day (and I know both of you know), "tough building" is a universal hockey term for a non-sh!t team that plays well at home or any road game against a team you've struggled with. It is used by every coach and player for pretty much ever. Is it kind of lame. Probably. But you'll find it said by any coach that you want coaching the Devils.

Darryl Sutter, on missing a chance to eliminate Chicago: "It's a tough building. Damn near got it."

Quenneville was asked if the Blackhawks took the Wild for granted and lacked effort while in Minnesota. Quenneville snapped back, “No, not at all, this is a good team. It’s something we stressed all year. This is a tough building.”

You’ve got to let your playing do your speaking in these situations, and I think he’s gone into some tough buildings and played pretty well for us,” Ruff said.

"The beginning of the season, with not a lot of practice time, it's not an easy trip," coach Todd McLellan told the team's official website. "We played in some tough buildings.

“This is tough building to play in, especially in the first 10 minutes.”

San Jose leads the NHL with an average of 36 shots a game and has scored in the first minute, six times this season.

“San Jose has been deadly in their own building and when you’re playing teams like this, it’s about what we leave on the table,” said Oilers coach Dallas Eakins.

"This is a really tough building," Hitchcock said. "It's a very intimidating building to play in. It seems like the people are right on top of you, and they play hard here. Nashville played really hard tonight."

Bylsma: We have two more wins to get, and we have a tall task going into a tough building against a very good team who is playing well.

"It's part of us putting blocks in our foundation and trying to learn how to win games," MacLean said. "When you can do it in tough buildings like this, those are real, real solid blocks that you can put into your foundation

-"It's a tough building to play in and we knew they'd come out strong, with some of the things that have gone on here," said New York coach John Tortorella.

- “You can’t change it,” Trotz said. “You’ve just got to deal with it. I would’ve loved to get the win tonight against a divisional opponent, but we’ve been pretty good on the road this year. We’ll go into a tough building and win some hockey games.”

- “It’s been a tough building for us to come in and play,” Berube said. “I thought we finally had the patience to beat them in a game.

- Coach Robinson: It is a tough building to play in, but it is actually a good building

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Like 1

Getting really unbearable. How can our own fans be this infuriating? It's "Rangers-fans-in-our-building" levels of frustrating having to deal with these people.

Some fans gave Schneider a hard time and you're infuriated? Lol relax man...people on this board give Schneider a hard time here and fans aren't too thrilled with his softies. It's not shocking that a few guys in the stands on a Saturday night weren't feeling Cory. Booing your team's performance doesn't make you bad fans. Just relax.

This is just people dumping on Pete for anything. Anyone who has followed hockey for more than a day (and I know both of you know), "tough building" is a universal hockey term for a non-sh!t team that plays well at home or any road game against a team you've struggled with. It is used by every coach and player for pretty much ever. Is it kind of lame. Probably. But you'll find it said by any coach that you want coaching the Devils.

-"It's a tough building to play in and we knew they'd come out strong, with some of the things that have gone on here," said New York coach John Tortorella.

- “You can’t change it,” Trotz said. “You’ve just got to deal with it. I would’ve loved to get the win tonight against a divisional opponent, but we’ve been pretty good on the road this year. We’ll go into a tough building and win some hockey games.”

- “It’s been a tough building for us to come in and play,” Berube said. “I thought we finally had the patience to beat them in a game.

- Coach Robinson: It is a tough building to play in, but it is actually a good building

Damn you really took that to heart lol. That comment I made was just my way of venting tonight. I understand the reference.

Severson has become victim of lofty and unreasonable expectations by many of you. I was at the game and thought he was fine. Certainly no worse than the other defensemen.

Zidlicky was exceedingly mediocre again. Greene was okay but added nothing offensively. Gelinas had his goal but also had a few adventures defensively. Larsson had a giveaway but also had some really great shifts. Helgeson was average I thought.

Yeah. The only thing that Severson is suffering from is his inevitable regression to merely average play. Of course, average play for a 19 year old rookie defenseman in the NHL, is pretty impressive on it's own. No one could have realistically expected him to continue scoring at a .5ppg rate. Despite his play going from amazing to just pretty darn good, he's still putting 2.6 shots per game over the first 17 games of the season.

The only other players on the team that are in that ballpark are:

Cammalleri @ 3.2 over 11 games - only skater with more shots per game than Severson

Ryder & Gelinas @ 2.1 over 17 and 14 games respectively

Henrique @ 2.0 over 12 games

Bad loss period. It's on Cory and DeBoer. Maybe because the team is tired he should have started Kinkaid for an uplift. But that's water over the dam now and with hind sight.

I was wrong to have posted the above. After all night to think about what happen in this game the second goal tied the game and as with the first GA a defensive breakdown by the Devils allowed the 3rd GA and lost the game for the Devils. Cory can't be expected to be perfect every game. Our defense and offense must improve, we have to play better defense and score more goals. I am not sure this is possible with this collection of players. We need Henrique and Merrill back and re look at our lines and combinations and put on the ice the best we can make from what we have.

Tough loss, one of those things that happens. I thought Cory played well but he has developed quite a habit of letting in some soft goals. The second goal was nonsense, but those happen over the course of a season.

I know there's a lot of Gionta haters on this board but I think he was our hardest working player in the last 2 games. Hopefully he starts clicking a little, a few extra goals would help this team.