What to make of the Schneider soft goal conundrum

'7'

Schneider was not that much of a known commodity when we acquired him. He put up impressive numbers in a backup role in Vancouver (albeit a heavy backup role, he wasn't starting 10-12 games) but that's pretty much all we had on him. I don't think many of us saw him play very often

I really only knew him from that Marleau OT game winner during that Sharks series. It was an easy wrister by Thornton over the blueline that Schneider stopped...but for some reason couldn't find the rebound as it trickled around him near the net and was finally put in by Marleau. It was a bad goal, and a bad job by Cory not finding and controlling that puck after a very stoppable shot.

That's the problem with Cory in general. He's not overly great at tracking or controlling the puck even when he does make the save. And angles are sometimes impossible for him. His awareness of where he is on the ice can be a problem. Sure we remember last nights softie...but does anybody remember the Bruins game where at the end of a shift some Bruin was skating half speed on his off wing...got cut off by a Devil and just gently trickled a puck towards Cory. Somehow that puck got passed Schneider and went off the post and right back into the slot...but nobody was there.

It's a big problem and I can't figure out why this happens. It could be a lapse in focus or it could actually be a vision problem. It could be that his reflexes are just not top notch. He's not acrobatic like his idol Richter. Not that he's some slug like Tim Cheveldae. But if this goes on we pretty much have to be content with Ron Hextall as our goalie. He'll have his moments but he will break our heart time and time again in the playoffs.

I think he's up to the ask. He certainly was last year. 

I just think the Devils are playing him too much. Yes physically he's fine, but this happened with Marty too back in the day - there's a reason why goalies don't play every game - it's not because of physical fatigue...it's the mental sharpness of being 110% for 60 minutes, every second. No empirical evidence of course to prove this - but it's just my spider sense. He played 6 games in 9 days? - it's too much.

I would like him to stop every puck but unrealistic and  if he did we would still lose because we can't score or score enough. I am not worried about Schneider at this point with this collection of players nor do I expect to make the playoffs with this team, coach and GM. We are still in the hunt however because there are so many weak teams in the Metro Division as of now.

Cory did play 30 games in the truncated 2012-2013 season, for whatever that's worth.

I think some fans are looking to find disturbing trends in Cory's game too quickly. For one, the team in front of him is iffy at this point. For another, again, this is still a bit of an adjustment for him. He's definitely been inconsistent, but I still believe the goods needed to be one of the better NHL goalies are there.

Here's the good news: Marty at his worst the past couple of seasons was having extended stretches of low .880s play. Cory currently sits at .910, and I firmly believe he'll get better. I just think we have to be patient. It would also be nice if this team could put up a 4-spot in support once in a while.

I think he's up to the ask. He certainly was last year. 

I just think the Devils are playing him too much. Yes physically he's fine, but this happened with Marty too back in the day - there's a reason why goalies don't play every game - it's not because of physical fatigue...it's the mental sharpness of being 110% for 60 minutes, every second. No empirical evidence of course to prove this - but it's just my spider sense. He played 6 games in 9 days? - it's too much.

Last year he wasn't 'the guy' except for short stretches.  And that question fair or not is going to remain until he has a FULL season with a 2.2 GAA and .920+ save percentage.

He's already given up as many horrid goals this year as he did all of last year.  The only truly horrid ones I remember him giving up last year were the one in Pittsburgh, one against Vancouver and a handful post-Olympic break.  This year it's been the same thing night in and night out, he'll make a bunch of fine saves then bam give up the one killer soft goal every game.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I think people are overreacting a little, especially with a guy coming off a 1-0 shutout the night before

Even bad goalies have good games.  People keep bringing up the two good games he had earlier this week over the other sixteen mostly meh to bad ones and even in one of them he managed to give up a brain fart goal.

Edited by NJDevs26

Even bad goalies have good games. People keep bringing up the two good games he had earlier this week over the other sixteen mostly meh to bad ones and even in one of them he managed to give up a brain fart goal.

Schneider isn't a bad goalie though. And being beat clean isn't always a soft goal. Sometimes shots just beat goalies.

every goalies gives up shorties.

Difference is when other goalies do, it's either simply in the highlights and we dont make much of it and when it's against us we dont care we just enjoy the goal.

Quick let in a goal from center ice in the playoffs that he won the conn smyth and Brodeur let in one of the most weird goal against the Ducks (you ALL know which one) so yeah, lets not overreact here. Expecting a goalie to never give up softie is like asking a player to NEVER miss the net on a shot. Which is ridiculous.

Difference is when other goalies do, it's either simply in the highlights and we dont make much of it and when it's against us we dont care we just enjoy the goal.

Quick let in a goal from center ice in the playoffs that he won the conn smyth and Brodeur let in one of the most weird goal against the Ducks (you ALL know which one) so yeah, lets not overreact here. Expecting a goalie to never give up softie is like asking a player to NEVER miss the net on a shot. Which is ridiculous.

I think the point is, he has let in more than his share this far this season. We all know they will happen, but it's at least 7-8 completely soft goals in what, 18 games?

Not saying it makes him a bad goalie, and I really only recall one before last night that cost a game. But he needs to tighten up. I suspect it will happen.

I think the point is, he has let in more than his share this far this season. We all know they will happen, but it's at least 7-8 completely soft goals in what, 18 games?

Not saying it makes him a bad goalie, and I really only recall one before last night that cost a game. But he needs to tighten up. I suspect it will happen.

Of course but who else is out there that would be better? Its not as if we lost our goalie to free agency or trade him for Travis Moen or something... Marty had to leave at some point. i think we did pretty good getting Schneider. Mayyyyyyybe we could have got Miller? But who knows if he would have come here

One thing that's in Cory's favor is that he doesn't have to replace in-his-prime Marty...he's "replacing" still-waiting-for-a-job Marty.

But at any rate, I would never ask Cory to be Marty. All he has to do is be what we all think he can and the rest will take care of itself.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

yep, agreed... And you know it's a special thread when someone can come in and agree with Sterio.  

unfortunately, "soft" goals are remembered more by fans simply because they were softies. I could easily point out at least 7-8 great saves he's made this year to argue in Cory's support. The question is not whether he has let in his fair share of soft goals (he definitely has, no argument there)- it's whether or not his they're balanced out by the amount of high quality saves he makes, and that's where I would argue with you if need be- Cory has been excellent this year making saves he has no business getting to, in addition to several breakaways they we routinely give up with the likes of our old/slow/inexperienced defense.

From last night, people will point to the soft goal and hang it on Cory, but how about the fact that he saved the breakaway from cliche in the first, then made the initial stop on duchene (which only a great goalie can make) but got no help to clear the rebound?

Cory and his softies are a problem, no doubt. But there are other issues that plague the team and will ultimately decide our playoff fate before I worry about a few soft goals.

My concern right now is that he's stolen 2 games this year and has lost 2 or 3 games himself.  That's .500.  No playoff.  It's about the 10th super softie he's given up this year (Dano's excuses notwithstanding).  He lets in goals I see  teenagers stop.  I hope he needs a rest to resolve this.

eventhough i can somewhat "agree" to a certain extend where we can say he lost a game himself... we can't close our eyes on what the players are missing too.

You want to be fair well Schneider not being able to contain a shot that trickles behind him should be the same as Elias missing an open net or missing the net completely for example. But its always easier to blame the goalie of course.

eventhough i can somewhat "agree" to a certain extend where we can say he lost a game himself... we can't close our eyes on what the players are missing too.

You want to be fair well Schneider not being able to contain a shot that trickles behind him should be the same as Elias missing an open net or missing the net completely for example. But its always easier to blame the goalie of course.

The issue is when a forward makes a mistake, be it missing a wide open net or a defensive mistake, it doesn't always have the consequence of leading to a goal and as such is easier to forget.

A goalie makes a mistake or lets in a softie, it's in the net and everyone remembers that because there's only 4-5-6 goals in the average game. There could easily be 20 mistakes made by skaters during the game though. Hard to remember them all or even see them all.

• Like 1

The issue is when a forward makes a mistake, be it missing a wide open net or a defensive mistake, it doesn't always have the consequence of leading to a goal and as such is easier to forget.

A goalie makes a mistake or lets in a softie, it's in the net and everyone remembers that because there's only 4-5-6 goals in the average game. There could easily be 20 mistakes made by skaters during the game though. Hard to remember them all or even see them all.

of course but if we lose by a goal... that missing a wide open net is just as bad as a goalie letting in a softie.

For example. Let say a game is 2-2 mid 3rd.... Zajac miss a wiiiiide open net then there's a turnovers and Schneider gives up a softy... How is it fair to blame the loss and not getting at least a point on Schneider? With Zajac scoring that goal we had the lead and that softy was never happening.

All of this to say sometime people should take a step back and see the whole thing before complaining

like that actual softy goal.... it was a softy... but buddy skated through 3-4 of our players ala Mario Lemieux before taking the shot. He should have got that shot but you know...

Edited by SterioDesign

of course but if we lose by a goal... that missing a wide open net is just as bad as a goalie letting in a softie.

For example. Let say a game is 2-2 mid 3rd.... Zajac miss a wiiiiide open net then there's a turnovers and Schneider gives up a softy... How is it fair to blame the loss and not getting at least a point on Schneider? With Zajac scoring that goal we had the lead and that softy was never happening.

All of this to say sometime people should take a step back and see the whole thing before complaining

like that actual softy goal.... it was a softy... but buddy skated through 3-4 of our players ala Mario Lemieux before taking the shot. He should have got that shot but you know...

well I'm sure everybody was pissed when Zids missed the empty net against Washington. If they scored to tie it after that people would have been all over him just like they are all over Schneider right now. So skaters are held just as accountable when they deserve blame. Cory deserves blame right now.

I'm agreeing with you there. Missing the open is just as bad. People just remember the mistakes goalies make, so they take the brunt of the blame and that's a bit unfair imo.

I know that through the first 17 games Cory has fairly frequently let in really bad goals, but I believe he'll work his way through this and provide the kind of goaltending we saw from him last year.