GDT: Frozen @ Devils

Devils Pride 26

Being in your face with merchandise is kind of Disney's thing.

True, and that aspect has definitely turned people off to Disney through the years. But their parks still deliver an experience like no other, and the parks are always changing and evolving. As much as I hate the volume of "Mommy! Daddy! Can I have this?" gift shops, it's a small trade-off for what the rest of the experience offers.

True, and that aspect has definitely turned people off to Disney through the years. But their parks still deliver an experience like no other, and the parks are always changing and evolving. As much as I hate the volume of "Mommy! Daddy! Can I have this?" gift shops, it's a small trade-off for what the rest of the experience offers.

Part of the problem is people's inability to say no to their kids. My daughter has been to Disney World 4 times and at least a dozen shows, and she knows better than that. Obviously I won't say she gets nothing, we usually either give her a set amount of money to spend, or tell her she can choose one thing. She's always known that and she doesn't beg for stuff.

It's not Disney's fault if a kid throws a tantrum about wanting merchandise; it's the parents.

We do the same thing...she has $50 to spend over the course of a week (saved up from her birthday, etc.) That's it. She knows it too. Agree that there are way too many parents who won't or can't say no. We also explain to her that it's about the experience and not about the stuff she can get anywhere.

Of course she still likes to look, but we keep her moving.

For some reason a lot of parents won't draw a line in the sand...they'd rather just buy their kids what they want than deal with the tantrum...which of course leads to a far worse pattern of behavior. Our daughter learned that kind of display is unacceptable a long time ago. Like your daughter, she understands there's a limit, that she's not going to get everything that she wants, and that throwing a sh!tfit will only work against her.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

We do the same thing...she has $50 to spend over the course of a week (saved up from her birthday, etc.) That's it. She knows it too. Agree that there are way too many parents who won't or can't say no. We also explain to her that it's about the experience and not about the stuff she can get anywhere.

For some reason a lot of parents won't draw a line in the sand...they'd rather just buy their kids what they want than deal with the tantrum...which of course leads to a far worse pattern of behavior. Our daughter learned that kind of display is unacceptable a long time ago. Like your daughter, she understands there's a limit, that she's not going to get everything that she wants, and that throwing a sh!tfit will only work against her.

Unfortunately, most people DONT do as we do and either give in, or let their kids scream like maniacs. i don't beliece kids throw tantrums like that unless they get the idea in their head that it's going to work. My daughter is 7 and has never in her life thrown a tantrum, because if she did, she knows she would get NOTHING.

Those kids that throw tantrums begging to have things bought for them have already formed the idea that it might work. And that's not the kid's fault.

Re-reading my text and reading yours, I fear I may have come off like I was talking specifically about you, which obviously I wasn't because I don't even know you. Just giving my opinion and I'm sorry if it was a little too directed toward you. Not my intention.

Edited by mfitz804

Nope, didn't take it that way at all. It's all good.

I have a lot more issues with today's parents than today's kids. I was never a huge kid person until I had one of my own...I simply didn't have that much experience with them. I find a lot of kids to be terrific...I really do. But I want to smack a lot of parents upside their oblivious heads.

Part of the problem is people's inability to say no to their kids. My daughter has been to Disney World 4 times and at least a dozen shows, and she knows better than that. Obviously I won't say she gets nothing, we usually either give her a set amount of money to spend, or tell her she can choose one thing. She's always known that and she doesn't beg for stuff.

It's not Disney's fault if a kid throws a tantrum about wanting merchandise; it's the parents.

You guys have the correct attitude towards raising kids, it is tough, I know but you have the correct outlook. Next year would my grand kids like this show they would be 10 and 11 years old? I am always looking for things I can do with them without boring them. They have so much and do so much.

You guys have the correct attitude towards raising kids, it is tough, I know but you have the correct outlook. Next year would my grand kids like this show they would be 10 and 11 years old? I am always looking for things I can do with them without boring them. They have so much and do so much.

You just do the best you can, and use some common sense.  I know it's only going to get tougher as she gets older.

Are your grandkids boys or girls?  I think Frozen appeals to girls a little more than boys, but there were plenty of both in attendance (I think the sweet-spot age is probably 4-9), and I got the impression they were all having a blast.  10 and 11 might be a little bit too old, but it all depends on the kid. 

You just do the best you can, and use some common sense.  I know it's only going to get tougher as she gets older.

Are your grandkids boys or girls?  I think Frozen appeals to girls a little more than boys, but there were plenty of both in attendance (I think the sweet-spot age is probably 4-9), and I got the impression they were all having a blast.  10 and 11 might be a little bit too old, but it all depends on the kid. 

Thanks the oldest is a girl and the boy is one year younger. I was thinking it was for younger children, that's why I asked. I feel my grand kids are older than a their age. They have smart phones and tablets etc.. I have never been on a cruise and they have been on three, what's with that. But I like to do things with them and they enjoy me as a grandpa. It's a very big soccer family with the grandson on a town traveling team. He is a natural athlete. She loves horses. Too rich for me. Thanks

Edited by BostonNala370

I would agree regarding your age assessments, with the added caveat that most kids that are into Disney stuff stay that way, even as they get older. I am willing to bet that there are 10-11 year olds and maybe even some early teenagers who enjoy Frozen just as much, whether they would admit to it is a different story.

I would agree regarding your age assessments, with the added caveat that most kids that are into Disney stuff stay that way, even as they get older. I am willing to bet that there are 10-11 year olds and maybe even some early teenagers who enjoy Frozen just as much, whether they would admit to it is a different story.

Thanks

I'm 44 and my wife is 37.  We're still into Disney stuff.  We like it all as much as our daughter does.  We're not at the level some people are, but since we had our daughter in 2008, we've been to Disney World four times (just got back on Saturday), Disneyland once (last year...think of that as a rough draft compared to Disney World's final copy), and will be going on a Disney cruise next year.  Been to a few Disney on Ice shows too, as well as a couple of other shows.  Just a certain magic with their stuff that is all their own.  The look you see on your kid's face...those moments stay with you forever.  My parents took me and my brother (now 43) to Disney World in 1975 (Magic Kingdom was the only game in town) and later in 1983 (EPCOT was still very new).  I think they enjoyed it because they say me and my bro enjoying it, but they were never theme park types, and they ask me if it ever gets old going every year...do the crowds bother me, etc.  I tell them no...we truly love it.  It does get tiring at times (we open and close the parks every day...we usually take one day off to just chill at our resort, but that's it), and it's a vacation that's not really a vacation from a pure R&R standpoint, but I don't recall a single day where I didn't want to be there or wasn't into it (unfortunately I got a short-term stomach bug that killed me for Friday and Saturday).  We didn't have great weather this time around, which was a mild damper, but we never let stuff like that ruin our good time...the weather is always going to be a crapshoot. 

I'm 44 and my wife is 37.  We're still into Disney stuff.  We like it all as much as our daughter does.  We're not at the level some people are, but since we had our daughter in 2008, we've been to Disney World four times (just got back on Saturday), Disneyland once (last year...think of that as a rough draft compared to Disney World's final copy), and will be going on a Disney cruise next year.  Been to a few Disney on Ice shows too, as well as a couple of other shows.  Just a certain magic with their stuff that is all their own.  The look you see on your kid's face...those moments stay with you forever.  My parents took me and my brother (now 43) to Disney World in 1975 (Magic Kingdom was the only game in town) and later in 1983 (EPCOT was still very new).  I think they enjoyed it because they say me and my bro enjoying it, but they were never theme park types, and they ask me if it ever gets old going every year...do the crowds bother me, etc.  I tell them no...we truly love it.  It does get tiring at times (we open and close the parks every day...we usually take one day off to just chill at our resort, but that's it), and it's a vacation that's not really a vacation from a pure R&R standpoint, but I don't recall a single day where I didn't want to be there or wasn't into it (unfortunately I got a short-term stomach bug that killed me for Friday and Saturday).  We didn't have great weather this time around, which was a mild damper, but we never let stuff like that ruin our good time...the weather is always going to be a crapshoot. 

Thanks for sharing, enjoy your daughter as she grows up and you and your wife can do things with her. That's the beauty of life watching them grow. I get to do that twice first my sons and mow my grandkids..I want to make the most of that experience. To our children and the grand children it is a major experience.  Kinda make the NJ Devils a nit.

I can only wish you and your family well with good health in the future years.