GDT: Devils at Calgary 10 PM

MadDog2020

I'm begging you to please find one instance where I said the Devils are great and everything is rosy. Please.

You don't seem to get that when a team constantly blows leads, people aren't gonna care HOW it happened when it's happened for the 47th fvcking time this year already.... They're gonna be pissed that it happened. BLOWING LEADS is and has been a big problem with this team for a while now, and you seem insistent in splitting hairs as to why it happened. The problem is, when it happens over and over again, I don't care about all of the 'bad luck' that may lead to said blown lead. The bottom line is its a big problem and I'm fvcking sick of it. Edited by MadDog2020

You don't seem to get that when a team constantly blows leads, people aren't gonna care HOW it happened when it's happened for the 47th fvcking time this year already.... They're gonna be pissed that it happened. BLOWING LEADS is and has been a big problem with this team for a while now, and you seem insistent in splitting hairs as to why it happened. The problem is, when it happens over and over again, I don't care about all of the 'bad luck' that may lead to said blown lead. The bottom line is its s big problem and I'm fvcking sick of it.

Well that's the problem.  You have to look at how and why things happen.  It makes people look foolish when they don't.

Well I don't "know".  But I can tell you none of the goals tonight were weak goals.  You're only looking for things to complain about if you try to imply Clemmensen had a bad game.

That first goal was weak. He hardly moved. The last goal was zero control of a rebound followed by flopping to the ice. He's not a good goalie. He had one of the worst save percentages in the league last year, and he has one of the worst in the league this year. 

Well that's the problem.  You have to look at how and why things happen.  It makes people look foolish when they don't.

How it happened: The team just isn't very good and can't hold a lead. 

Why it happened: Because when a team isn't good and can't hold a lead or score into an empty net, they tend to blow leads. 

That first goal was weak. He hardly moved. The last goal was zero control of a rebound followed by flopping to the ice. He's not a good goalie. He had one of the worst save percentages in the league last year, and he has one of the worst in the league this year. 

The first goal was a screened shot off the crossbar.  How was that weak?  The final goal was a scramble around the net.  Schneider doesn't have the greatest rebound control either.  But regardless, he also made a lot of key saves.  For a guy who hasn't started all year, he looked solid.  My question to you is why are you expecting a stellar performance?

How it happened: The team just isn't very good and can't hold a lead. 

Why it happened: Because when a team isn't good and can't hold a lead or score into an empty net, they tend to blow leads. 

You're forgetting that there's 2 teams on the ice trying to win.

The 3rd goal didn't happen because the Devils are bad.  And the 4th goal didn't happen because the Devils are bad.

The 3rd goal happened simply because of a fluky bounce.  The 4th goal happened from a stupid play.  Don't just make blanket statements like the Devils are bad in order to say why tonight happened.

Pretty much...

Nope not really.  He was actually very wrong.  Not only can the Devils hold leads, they can score empty net goals too.  The Devils blew the lead tonight because of a fluky bounce and one bad decision.  Fact.

Edited by Mike Brown

The first goal was a screened shot off the crossbar.  How was that weak?  The final goal was a scramble around the net.  Schneider doesn't have the greatest rebound control either.  But regardless, he also made a lot of key saves.  For a guy who hasn't started all year, he looked solid.  My question to you is why are you expecting a stellar performance?

You're forgetting that there's 2 teams on the ice trying to win.

The 3rd goal didn't happen because the Devils are bad.  And the 4th goal didn't happen because the Devils are bad.

The 3rd goal happened simply because of a fluky bounce.  The 4th goal happened from a stupid play.  Don't just make blanket statements like the Devils are bad in order to say why tonight happened.

Nope not really.  He was actually very wrong.  Not only can the Devils hold leads, they can score empty net goals too.  The Devils blew the lead tonight because of a fluky bounce and one bad decision.  Fact.

No screen on the first goal. It was a straight shot off a turnover. He just didn't pick up on it. Asking for less than 4 goals against and holding a lead with 5 seconds left isn't expecting stellar. It's expecting barely passable. 

Yes, the Devils can hold leads, and they can score empty net goals. Blind squirrels can also find nuts, and broken clocks are right 2 times a day. 

No screen on the first goal. It was a straight shot off a turnover. He just didn't pick up on it. Asking for less than 4 goals against and holding a lead with 5 seconds left isn't expecting stellar. It's expecting barely passable. 

Yes, the Devils can hold leads, and they can score empty net goals. Blind squirrels can also find nuts, and broken clocks are right 2 times a day. 

So in your opinion, no goalie is good in this league.

Using the blind squirrel and broken clock analogy is so stupid.  The Devils do not blow more leads than they protect.  And scoring empty net goals is far from a given.  I wish I knew the raw numbers, but neither do you.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the en goal rate in pulled goalie situations is less than the failure to score en goals.

“You guys are always looking for patterns,” DeBoer said. “There’s no pattern. This team (Calgary) has come back on lots of teams before. We’ve got some young guys at key positions and we’re learning how to win games.”

This would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.  It IS a pattern, and it has nothing to do with young guys blowing games when Greene's a -3 and Zajac has a horrid turnover on the first goal.  Or when Jagr makes a rookie mistake turning the puck over in the last thirty seconds of the game.

Edited by NJDevs26

This season is just becoming one big repeat of last season. Nothing has been learned at all.

MB there is a limit to bad luck. You make your own luck in life and the Devils as they are constructed right now don't put themselves in good situations when they have the lead.

A team that constantly throws points down the toilet in such a spectacular fashion is not a good team. You are mistaking bad plays and bad decisions as bad luck.

It's not, it's sh!tty plays by players who should know better. Jagr should not be making plays like that in game critical situations.

But there is no accountability on this team anymore. That got pissed away letting Salvador and Zidlicky have a free pass.

I am at the point where I am all for having a new coach.

Mike Brown is DeBoer. I'm convinced. They're the only ones on earth who believe their own bullsh!t and refuse to admit they're wrong to this extent.

I'm glad I went to bed early instead of watching any more of this. We were up 2-0 when I went to bed and I 100% knew I'd be waking up to a loss. This team sucks. Nothing will change until changes are made and it all starts with the coach.

Glad I didn't see this in full. I did make the mistake of watching the highlights (and lowlights) on the NHL network.

I don't put this loss all on Clemmer, but why is this guy getting a start at all? He's not good. What exactly does Kinkaid have to do to get one damned start?

Anyway, I understand the frustration...just the recap alone pissed me off. Re: MB, you guys all know the drill by now. He's annoying and socially stunted. He has that rare ability to aggravate the sh!t out of almost everyone. As far as trying to make sense of both him and his motivations goes...who knows and who cares? The point here is that there's not much point in getting into it with him...you know what you're getting.

Glad I didn't see this in full. I did make the mistake of watching the highlights (and lowlights) on the NHL network.

I don't put this loss all on Clemmer, but why is this guy getting a start at all? He's not good. What exactly does Kinkaid have to do to get one damned start?

Anyway, I understand the frustration...just the recap alone pissed me off. Re: MB, you guys all know the drill by now. He's annoying and socially stunted. He has that rare ability to aggravate the sh!t out of almost everyone. As far as trying to make sense of both him and his motivations goes...who knows and who cares? The point here is that there's not much point in getting into it with him...you know what you're getting.

The game got frustrating in the third period. I agree all the blame shouldn't be on Clemmy. The team made many mistakes in addition to not scoring more goals that they had the chance to score.  The first period they could have had 4 or 5 goals but missed on the opportunity. Then there was the open net. OH well.

As for MB your suggestion is a good one. Stop fueling the fire.

There was a screen there - Glencross's stick couldn't be seen from Clemmensen's vantage and the way he shot the puck was right over Zajac's ankle.  Of course he made a ridiculously perfect shot - it may have glanced off Zajac, it may not have, but he didn't have a ton to shoot at even though Clemmensen never saw the shot.

A few concrete observations about last night's loss and overall assessment of the situation:

1.  Clemmer - good at the big stuff, bad at the details.  Glenncross' goal was a juicy rebound that should have been stopped but wasn't.  Don't wanna blame him outright, but he's gotta win the game when he's up 4-2 with 3.5 mins left in the 3rd.  That's what makes you an NHL goalie.  On the other side of the ice, Ramo played well enough to keep his team in the game and ultimately win it.

2.  Mental Capacity / Lack of Endurance - the Devs have demonstrated to be unable to hold on and lock down opposing teams when they are in the lead.  This is a result of the inability to maintain a high tempo "man coverage," permitting other teams LITTLE TO NO space to do anything with the puck.  That is due to probably to the lack of stamina, desire, and endurance to play this kind of style.  Hence why you see guys like Gionta and Bernier logging more and more ice time.

3.  Zajac Bromance with DeBoer - there is no way on this good earth that Zajac should be playing as much as he does, let alone taking shootout attempts.  That was an eye opener.  The game on the line and you let the least skilled forward on your team take a shootout attempt.  Bad decision making on DeBoer's behalf, and his bromance with Zajac is going to cost this team dearly.

4.  Rookie Relegation - our 4 young D are starting to show their youth.  Some bonehead moves here and there are exposing the weaknesses of the team which doesn't help because the only solid D-man we have other than them is Andy Greene.  Teams are starting to key in on our young D's inexperience, and it is showing.

This season is just becoming one big repeat of last season. Nothing has been learned at all.

MB there is a limit to bad luck. You make your own luck in life and the Devils as they are constructed right now don't put themselves in good situations when they have the lead.

A team that constantly throws points down the toilet in such a spectacular fashion is not a good team. You are mistaking bad plays and bad decisions as bad luck.

It's not, it's sh!tty plays by players who should know better. Jagr should not be making plays like that in game critical situations.

But there is no accountability on this team anymore. That got pissed away letting Salvador and Zidlicky have a free pass.

I am at the point where I am all for having a new coach.

I never equated bad decisions as bad luck.  I've acknowledged them countless times.

Mike Brown is DeBoer. I'm convinced. They're the only ones on earth who believe their own bullsh!t and refuse to admit they're wrong to this extent.

I'm glad I went to bed early instead of watching any more of this. We were up 2-0 when I went to bed and I 100% knew I'd be waking up to a loss. This team sucks. Nothing will change until changes are made and it all starts with the coach.

Anybody who is sane would believe that the Devils deserved to win.  They just let it slip away.  I guarantee if the roles were reversed, you guys would still complain saying how the Devils got lucky and whatnot.  Even when the Devils win, you guys cherry pick the bad parts of the game.

Ok so we agree about Clemmensen.

My motivation is simple.  Bring everyone back down to earth.  Nobody realizes the big picture.

A few concrete observations about last night's loss and overall assessment of the situation:

1.  Clemmer - good at the big stuff, bad at the details.  Glenncross' goal was a juicy rebound that should have been stopped but wasn't.  Don't wanna blame him outright, but he's gotta win the game when he's up 4-2 with 3.5 mins left in the 3rd.  That's what makes you an NHL goalie.  On the other side of the ice, Ramo played well enough to keep his team in the game and ultimately win it.

2.  Mental Capacity / Lack of Endurance - the Devs have demonstrated to be unable to hold on and lock down opposing teams when they are in the lead.  This is a result of the inability to maintain a high tempo "man coverage," permitting other teams LITTLE TO NO space to do anything with the puck.  That is due to probably to the lack of stamina, desire, and endurance to play this kind of style.  Hence why you see guys like Gionta and Bernier logging more and more ice time.

3.  Zajac Bromance with DeBoer - there is no way on this good earth that Zajac should be playing as much as he does, let alone taking shootout attempts.  That was an eye opener.  The game on the line and you let the least skilled forward on your team take a shootout attempt.  Bad decision making on DeBoer's behalf, and his bromance with Zajac is going to cost this team dearly.

4.  Rookie Relegation - our 4 young D are starting to show their youth.  Some bonehead moves here and there are exposing the weaknesses of the team which doesn't help because the only solid D-man we have other than them is Andy Greene.  Teams are starting to key in on our young D's inexperience, and it is showing.

1. Blame Jagr.  His boneheaded play is ultimately what cost them in the end.

2. I agree.  They are giving too much time and space in these situations and it's costing them.  The Flames were able to hold on to the puck at the point, get everyone into position and go to work.

3. This is flat out wrong.  Zajac is a huge asset to this team.  He's a legit 2nd line center asking to play 1st line duties.  The shootout decision was questionable, but he has had success in the past with them.

4. Some bad decisions last night, but you have to let them play and learn.  No need to shelter them.  The only way to learn is to throw them to the fire.